✍️ Lukasz Fabianski signs

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Sloop John B
The voice of reason
Has liked: 225 likes
Total likes: 448 likes

Re: Lukasz Fabianski signs

Post by Sloop John B »

His command of the area is impressive both in terms of coming to punch and coming to catch.

I think he exudes a calmness that hopefully the rest the defense can feed off.
IG8Hammer
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by IG8Hammer »

Adrian is a decent shot stopper, but this guy is the full package.

Good shot stopper, commanding in his area, good distribution, reliable and consistent.

Best goalkeeper we have had in a long time.
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 1978 likes
Total likes: 1466 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

Had my reservations about the signing of Fab to say the least. But I'm happy to eat humble pie on this one. Proving the doubters wrong. :thup:
carnage
Has liked: 84 likes
Total likes: 707 likes

Post by carnage »

I judge a keeper on how nervous he makes me.

Fabianski is the best we have had since Ludo.
thespider
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 29 likes

Post by thespider »

This has probably already been said, but Sunday's game when the ball bounced off his head and he just got straight up and carried on like "what?! I'm fine you slags, just keep playin'!" was magical.
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2424 likes
Total likes: 2633 likes

Post by sendô »

thespider wrote:This has probably already been said, but Sunday's game when the ball bounced off his head and he just got straight up and carried on like "what?! I'm fine you slags, just keep playin'!" was magical.
I'm hoping that's exactly what he said, but with a Polish tinged cockney accent.
Vic_Watson
Has liked: 167 likes
Total likes: 259 likes

Post by Vic_Watson »

Save of the season.
Ted Fenton
Location: Rural Sevilla & the quieter part of Costa del Sol, sunny Spain

Post by Ted Fenton »

Vic_Watson wrote:Save of the season.
Head and shoulders above the reat.
ereford ammer
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by ereford ammer »

westham,eggyandchips wrote:Had my reservations about the signing of Fab to say the least. But I'm happy to eat humble pie on this one. Proving the doubters wrong. :thup:
Me too.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

Somebody mentioned somewhere, I think possibly in the match report, the number of shots that went straight at him. That is not luck, nor even poor shooting, but great organisation, positioning and acute anticipation from your goalkeeper. It is especially about controlling your defenders in order that you get a clear view of the ball and getting your angles right. In doing this, when the shot comes in, it will very often go straight at you. Next time any of you watch De Gea and Hugo Lloris, you will observe the same. Only the top goalkeepers possess this talent and that is why it is important not to look on in awe at your keeper leaping about his goal making flying saves, but the saves he doesn't have to make, or if he does, he seems to be cool and attracts shots that are straight at him. One other thing he is good at, is organising his wall. Now I don't have my heart in my mouth any more when we conclude a free kick on the edge of our penalty area. Have we yet to concede from a free kick yet this season ?
CaptainNoble238

Post by CaptainNoble238 »

Puff Daddy wrote:Somebody mentioned somewhere, I think possibly in the match report, the number of shots that went straight at him. That is not luck, nor even poor shooting, but great organisation, positioning and acute anticipation from your goalkeeper. It is especially about controlling your defenders in order that you get a clear view of the ball and getting your angles right. In doing this, when the shot comes in, it will very often go straight at you. Next time any of you watch De Gea and Hugo Lloris, you will observe the same. Only the top goalkeepers possess this talent and that is why it is important not to look on in awe at your keeper leaping about his goal making flying saves, but the saves he doesn't have to make, or if he does, he seems to be cool and attracts shots that are straight at him. One other thing he is good at, is organising his wall. Now I don't have my heart in my mouth any more when we conclude a free kick on the edge of our penalty area. Have we yet to concede from a free kick yet this season ?
We haven"t and I believe I read somewhere (or Swansea Fans were telling me that) Fabianski hasn't concede from a free kick since 2-2 draw against Spurs in 2015 when Eriksen scored two free kicks against him and he was severely criticized for it, after that he improved massively in that aspect of game.

And for Fabianski, well let's say I wasn't chuffed about him. I thought he is too old and no upgrade on Adrian, how wrong I was. He really proved me wrong, I feel so secure with him and his handling is top draw.
Johnny Pa(i)ntsil

Post by Johnny Pa(i)ntsil »

Puff Daddy wrote:.... That is not luck, nor even poor shooting, but great organisation, positioning and acute anticipation from your goalkeeper. .....

....Only the top goalkeepers possess this talent and that is why it is important not to look on in awe at your keeper leaping about his goal making flying saves, but the saves he doesn't have to make, or if he does, he seems to be cool and attracts shots that are straight at him.....

Read an interview with a top goalkeeping coach around the time that everyone was enamored with Paul Robinson basically saying that Robinson was below average spatially, but athletic enough to compensate. He said the best keepers should look average and boring for most of the game. Their reading and positioning has them already there, rather than behind the play and leaping in to space.
IG8Hammer
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by IG8Hammer »

Can't remember who it was, but there was one ex-keeper who said that most of the time a goalie has to stretch to make a save, it's only because they had their positioning wrong.

Probably easier said than done mind.
bowltorious
Has liked: 17 likes
Total likes: 25 likes

Post by bowltorious »

I rate Adrian highly but now seeing this guy play regularly he is clearly the better keeper. Keep it up Fab :thup:
Absolutely Hammered!
Has liked: 62 likes
Total likes: 254 likes

Post by Absolutely Hammered! »

He doesn't flap under pressure and gathers the ball very well. He doesn't punch the ball when it's there to be caught. Sorry hart. Top top keeper!
Sir_Trevor
Has liked: 258 likes
Total likes: 338 likes

Post by Sir_Trevor »

IG8Hammer wrote:Can't remember who it was, but there was one ex-keeper who said that most of the time a goalie has to stretch to make a save, it's only because they had their positioning wrong.

Probably easier said than done mind.
It was Allen McKnight. He never bothered to stretch for anything... or dive... or jump. He believed that, if it wasn't straight at him, it wasn't savable...nor were quite a few that were straight at him.
Barking Iron
Total likes: 64 likes

Post by Barking Iron »

Van der Sar was the master of what you are explaining with a free kick if it beat his wall it was normally two steps and a catch, where as someone like Robinson or Hart it’s a athletic tip over the bar and all the plaudits. Problem with that is it takes its toll on the body hence why they don’t stay at the top level into there 30s
mumbles87
Has liked: 55 likes
Total likes: 935 likes

Post by mumbles87 »

BARKING IRON wrote:Van der Sar was the master of what you are explaining with a free kick if it beat his wall it was normally two steps and a catch, where as someone like Robinson or Hart it’s a athletic tip over the bar and all the plaudits. Problem with that is it takes its toll on the body hence why they don’t stay at the top level into there 30s
It’s also why VDS kept his career going so long same reason Buffon is still going now

This investment in fabianski could pay off for another 5-7 years!

Also now the defence is improving he should have to face less shots

Let in 1 in the last 2 games

Let a lot more in before that due to number of shots faced
swash
Has liked: 140 likes
Total likes: 188 likes

Post by swash »

It’s also why VDS kept his career going so long same reason Buffon is still going now

This investment in fabianski could pay off for another 5-7 years!

Also now the defence is improving he should have to face less shots

Let in 1 in the last 2 games

Let a lot more in before that due to number of shots faced

I see what you did there :D
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 232 likes
Total likes: 2563 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

Not quite so many people at the moment referring to him as 'flapianski'