Hillsborough

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: Rio, Gnome, chalks, -DL-, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo

Duckenfield finally holds his hands up (non WHU)

Postby officeboy on Wed Mar 11, 2015 6:02 pm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-me ... e-31821211" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The match commander on the day of the Hillsborough disaster has admitted lying about fans forcing an exit gate open to enter the ground.

Relatives of the 96 fans who died gasped as David Duckenfield told the new inquests: "I apologise unreservedly to the families".

He said: "Everybody knew the truth, the fans and police knew the truth that we'd opened the gates."

Mr Duckenfield, 70, said he would regret the lie "to his dying day".

The court heard that on the day of the disaster he told Graham Kelly, of the FA, that fans had got in themselves through gate C, when the truth was that he had ordered the gate to be opened.

Mr Duckenfield was in charge of policing at Sheffield Wednesday's stadium when 96 Liverpool fans were fatally crushed in 1989.

He told the court that he had "no idea" what motivated him to lie.

Earlier, Mr Duckenfield said it was "one of the biggest regrets of his life" that he did not consider the consequences of opening the gate.

I really would hate to know what his biggest regret is!! :shock:
officeboy

Re: One of the biggest regrets of his life

Postby psychoscoredthelot on Wed Mar 11, 2015 6:11 pm

hes a spurs fan
psychoscoredthelot

Postby Up the Junction on Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:50 pm

He should be locked up.
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place

Postby Welsh Iron on Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:57 pm

Up the Junction wrote:He should be locked up.

^^This

He's admitting purgery as far as I'm concerned. Take him down!
Welsh Iron

Postby Sir_Trevor on Wed Mar 11, 2015 10:22 pm

Welsh Iron wrote:
^^This

He's admitting purgery as far as I'm concerned. Take him down!

Genuine question - Had he actually said different in court before then?
Sir_Trevor

Postby Bend it like Repka on Wed Mar 11, 2015 11:27 pm

rciron wrote: imagine if it had happened to us :thdn:

Nearly did, QPR away. Some other **** of a police officer made another life risking decision there. We were only saved from the scousers fate by the fact that there were no fences at Loftus Road. Worst most scray crush I have ever been in. You could do nothing except keep moving forwards.

Hillsborough was not a one off in police approach.
Bend it like Repka

Postby DaveWHU1964 on Thu Mar 12, 2015 12:30 am

Duckenfield said..... "It was a situation I was totally untrained for, totally unprecedented, and I make no excuses. I was the man who did it. But I faced a difficult situation.

I know he's struggling, but he needs to make his f***ing mind up and get his story (for that is all it is) straight. There is no point in him saying he makes no excuses two whole seconds after he's made one. It doesn't look good.

He also told the court that he had "no idea" what motivated him to lie.

Really? No idea at all? Of course I'm not him and I wasn't there but even I can offer an educated, realistic guess about what may well have motivated him to lie. A desire to pin the blame on innocent, in 96 cases dead people so that this guilty, lying, incompetent piece of sh*t could walk away and continue his career without being punished for what was apparently merely one of the biggest mistakes of his life. Seriously, just what mistake(s) did he make that were worse than one that led to 96 football fans dying?

As for the whole "i've lost two hours of my life before the game " rubbish when he was patently joy-riding in a cop car even as he could have been studying the layout of the stadium, especially as he is now claiming that he wasn't adequately trained for the gig is just beyond the pale.

He took people including much of the press and distinguished politicians for fools with his self serving lies 26 years ago. And from today's performance it seems that old ingrained habits don't die as easily as the 96 his incompetence crushed the life out of.
DaveWHU1964

Postby mildenhallhammer53 on Thu Mar 12, 2015 7:37 am

i also think that it is very unlikely that any of these useless incompetent morons will face any kind of trial.
as usual where coppers who have broken the law are concerned, police lawyers will claim mitigating circumstances and they will be let off.
mildenhallhammer53

Postby the pink palermo on Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:08 am

Yep .

If you or I tell fibs to plod we get in serious trouble .

Who was that MP that went to jail because he got his then wife to tell a lie about who was driving a speeding car ? Plod made sure he got sent down .

However this is far more serious as it reeks of yet another establishment cover up that originated in that era .Thatcher had given tacit approval for the police to behave as they wished in exchange for them selling their integrity and be used as a political police force to crush the NUM .

Dukenfield behaved as he did because he thought he could get away with lying as he would be supported by the Thatcher regime .

It's the credit of the Liverpool support groups who have campaigned tirelessly that the truth finally comes out of the mouth of the man that ultimately sent 96 football fans to their graves .

It could have been us .
the pink palermo
Huge noggin

Postby westham,eggyandchips on Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:31 am

This bloke has the blood of 96 innocent souls on his hands. He should rot in hell for, not only his behaviour on the day, but for the cover-up that followed. How he has been able to tell lies for 26yrs is beyond me.
westham,eggyandchips

Postby White Goodman on Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:45 am

westham,eggyandchips wrote:This bloke has the blood of 96 innocent souls on his hands. He should rot in hell for, not only his behaviour on the day, but for the cover-up that followed. How he has been able to tell lies for 26yrs is beyond me.

Making a horrible mistake is one thing to be fair. We are all capable of that.

I'm less inclined to think he deserves a pass after lying about it too, in order to save his own skin.

He should be facing jail for this.
White Goodman
Making excuses in A&E

Postby bwbazza on Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:56 am

the pink palermo wrote:
quote="Up the Junction"]He should be locked up./quote

Yep .

If you or I tell fibs to plod we get in serious trouble .

Who was that MP that went to jail because he got his then wife to tell a lie about who was driving a speeding car ? Plod made sure he got sent down .

However this is far more serious as it reeks of yet another establishment cover up that originated in that era .Thatcher had given tacit approval for the police to behave as they wished in exchange for them selling their integrity and be used as a political police force to crush the NUM .

Dukenfield behaved as he did because he thought he could get away with lying as he would be supported by the Thatcher regime

It's the credit of the Liverpool support groups who have campaigned tirelessly that the truth finally comes out of the mouth of the man that ultimately sent 96 football fans to their graves .

It could have been us .

Spot on
I have said this for years.
Thatcher set the stall out and South Yorkshire Police did her dirty work - miners, football fans - all scum in her book and that of her licensed thugs.
They should rot in hell.
But Duckinfield should rot inside first
bwbazza

Postby MadMart on Thu Mar 12, 2015 9:11 am

Let's not forget the hundreds of ticket-less Liverpool fans that swarmed through the gates - they have to share a level of responsibility IMHO
MadMart

Postby Clacton-ammer on Thu Mar 12, 2015 9:21 am

MadMart wrote:Let's not forget the hundreds of ticket-less Liverpool fans that swarmed through the gates - they have to share a level of responsibility IMHO

You are not allowed to say that MM, everyone knows that it was the establishments fault - totally.

I'm being ironic as many know, but in fairness, this has been done many times over, and the guy who opened the gates has admitted his part totally, so thread should stay on topic of this one man and his lies in fairness.

He should not rot in hell for his mistake, people going to football at that time knew this situation could have happened to anyone of us. The procedures in place at that time were not adequate, clearly!

He should though be pulled/nicked for lying about it all this time though.
Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing

Postby vietnammer on Thu Mar 12, 2015 9:26 am

Clacton-ammer wrote:He should not rot in hell for his mistake, people going to football at that time knew this situation could have happened to anyone of us. The procedures in place at that time were not adequate, clearly!

Well thought out mate. It took several such disasters before measures were taken. Can remember PA announcements at the Boleyn in the 70's telling people to stay off the pitch "Let's keep those fences away from Upton Park"
vietnammer
Bucky the beaver

Postby btajim - mcfc on Thu Mar 12, 2015 9:27 am

People can have no morals at the best of times and the guilt eating away at him must have been destroying. He can fool himself that it didn't get to him but this confession speaks volumes.

I'd gladly lose everything if it meant doing what was right.
btajim - mcfc
There when they were sh*t

Postby simon hammer on Thu Mar 12, 2015 9:33 am

As said before he should be locked up...for the rest of his life.
simon hammer

Postby Hawaiian hammer on Thu Mar 12, 2015 9:38 am

I hope he loses everything he has worked for, his freedom, pension, the lot. It would still be less than 96 others that day.
Hawaiian hammer

Postby Kendal Iron on Thu Mar 12, 2015 9:47 am

Clacton-ammer wrote:

The lying (and not just by Duckenfield) is what people should be brought to justice for.

The original mistake, to open the doors or not, is not one I would have wanted to make.

Would people have died if he hadn't opened them? We'll never know. But what we do know is the crush outside the ground was being caused by Liverpool fans operating their well-known tactic of trying to force their way in without paying.

But even after the gates were opened, the ensuing disaster could have been avoided if fans had been directed to the outer pens.

Duckinfield said at the inquiry that he didn't know about previous issues with overcrowding in the central pens and that the previous Senior Officer, who Duckenfield was taking over from, was reluctant to pass on his knowledge. Nor, it seems did any other officers on the day.

Its only a guess but it sound like Duckenfield was probably not very popular with his colleagues who would probably be very happy to see him make a balls of the job.
Last edited by Kendal Iron on Thu Mar 12, 2015 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kendal Iron

Postby MadMart on Thu Mar 12, 2015 9:47 am

I just hope he's not made the official scapegoat/lamb to slaughter.
No, he shouldn't have opened the gate, and yes he should have been honest from the get-go - BUT he was genuinley doing what he thought best and reacting to a situation caused by hundreds of ticket-less fans...
MadMart

Next

Return to General Discussion