Peanut sellers at West Ham

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Re: Peanut sellers at West Ham

Postby pdbis on Thu Jul 05, 2018 5:26 pm

It is so good to relive the good old days of the peanut sellers. :lol:
pdbis

Postby Up the Junction on Thu Jul 05, 2018 5:53 pm

ageing hammer wrote:They used to travel much further onto the pitch than the bog rolls :D

Ha - like that, ageing. :thup:
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place

Postby Kialos on Thu Jul 05, 2018 7:27 pm

Yes, who knew ageing hammer was such a scamp :D
Kialos

Postby 1966 on Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:02 pm

Remember them well. For a laugh (actually it wasn't that funny) I'd eat the shells as well to astonish my mates (actually they weren't that astonished).

Postby ornchurch ammer on Sat Jul 07, 2018 12:13 pm

poplargeezer wrote:
Should they bring back the peanut sellers at the Brady stadium?

He'd need an arm like Steve Backley just to reach the lower tier.
ornchurch ammer

Postby Jon on Sat Jul 07, 2018 12:59 pm

I used to sell scratch cards/lottery cards in the Chicken Run. My mate had the South Bank. I sold more than him. Different class of fan in the CR 8-) Or maybe they just liked gambling!

Gates would open at 130pm and people would rush to get the best spot directly above the staircase opposite the tunnel. One very tall man in particular would grab the place. Standing in the North Bank I would look across to them because they were the first ones to applaud when the teams would come out.

We used to report to a lady called Joan Bull in the portacabin out the front. We'd get comission + free entry. Sit or stand anywhere there was room.

One match against Spurs the only place we could stand was in the gangway behind the lower west. Not in anyones way and with dozens of other sellers. 4 coppers threw us out the ground! We had no ID but how petty can you get....

There were two ladies out the front of the ground who had kiosks for scratch cards.

Lady One: 'twennyy five yer lottereeess!'

Lady Two: Annnnnnyyyy LOTTERREEES!'

Back to the west enclusure there was a fella who walked up and down the gangway with a tray of goodies tied by a ribbon around his neck like in a cinema. 'Sweets, Drinks AND Peanuts!!'

My favourite though was the North Bank seller. 'Peanuts, Peanuts, Peanuts, peanuts.........ALL roasted'
It was as if the fact they were ALL roasted and not just a few, would clinch the deal!

But they were just salt free nuts in shells. A lot of hard work for not much. Not exactly Planters!
Jon

Postby Harry Hooper on Sat Jul 07, 2018 10:17 pm

My Grandfather had a stool outside Upton Park underground station as you came out and turned right it was the first stool, he sold Bananas but every matchday we sold a brown paper bag with a pint of peanuts for a shilling. We spent hours filling bags the night before the game. This was in the sixties. The bloke who mentioned the eel stool it was outside the Central Hotel Barking Rd I would say "Happy Days" but they were not really. The docks were folding and things didn't look to rosy
Harry Hooper

Postby Kialos on Sat Jul 07, 2018 10:39 pm

Yes, there is an element of rose tinted glasses.

What I will say though is that good or bad at least we have these experiences to re tell, what kind of tales will be told about walking through the Olympic Park in 20/30 years time?
Kialos

Postby Pob! on Sat Jul 07, 2018 11:20 pm

How has this got to 3 pages without anyone mentioning the two old girls in the south bank with all the badges.. ?

Also remember two skins trying to sell Bulldog outside the south bank untill people realised they were Chelsea and they got chased up the Barking road never to be seen again :D
Pob!

Postby cockney hammer on Sun Jul 08, 2018 2:09 pm

cockney hammer
Resident badge expert

Postby Up the Junction on Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:45 pm

'Nutty' up there looks like he's giving someone the finger.
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place

Postby ageing hammer on Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:12 pm

The original nutty boys :D
ageing hammer

Postby Kialos on Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:01 pm

Up the Junction wrote:'Nutty' up there looks like he's giving someone the finger.

:lol: He does! More innocent times then
Kialos

Postby mywhufc on Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:15 am

Bit disappointed with the constant percy dalton mentions as they were tower hamlets based,
The proper West Ham peanut sellers were the Larkins who had stalls & shops throughout the area,
including close by to the ground.
Bill Larkin was close to the club & knew many of the players.
https://www.theguardian.com/football/20 ... eyn-ground
mywhufc

Postby hammerleroy on Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:51 am

The two old gals in the SB. Ah what memories. Always stood in the same place, left of the goal as you face it from the pitch. One match, covered by The Big Match, was a 3-2 defeat by the Saints, the one where Paul Allen must have run sixty yards to score. Big Joe Jordan headed home at the SB and landed on his knees arms in the air looking up at these gals, who both gave him a superb, simultaneous, slow-motion V sign. Bet JJ remembers it! A classic and may those gals RIP. You could never replicate that at Stratford for sure. These memories are priceless and not forgetting the NB peanut seller. We were convinced he'd lay in bed at home and keep chirping "peanuts" in his sleep!! :lol:
hammerleroy

Postby Andrew on Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:02 am

cockney hammer wrote:remember the piles of shells lol

yep, walking out of the North bank at the end of the match, wading through an ankle-deep layer of peanut shells and piss.
Ah, them were the days :)
Andrew
Resident medical expert

Postby ironworkersgrandson on Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:32 pm

was gonzo the name of the bloke with long hair selling them ? in the mid 80's

i liked the old girl selling programmes she had claret and blue nail varnish :scarfer:
ironworkersgrandson

Previous

Return to General Discussion