The formation for next season

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

The formation for next season

Postby hammer1975 on Sun Jul 08, 2018 5:08 pm

4 at the back is a disaster waiting to happen with most of our squad. Discuss. :P
hammer1975

Re: The formation for next season

Postby artlin on Sun Jul 08, 2018 5:09 pm

I think that 4 at the back is the way forward.

The problem I have is the three up front.

Discuss even more!!!
artlin

Postby The Old Man of Storr on Sun Jul 08, 2018 6:32 pm

I want to see a winning formation .
The Old Man of Storr

Postby Rocketron on Sun Jul 08, 2018 6:37 pm

It's been widely reported that Pellegrini favours a 4-2-2-2.
How he intends to do it here, only he knows.
Rocketron

Postby westlondonhammer on Sun Jul 08, 2018 6:55 pm

We did alright 3 seasons back with 4 at the back...a few of them likely to play a few this season

Manuel knows his stuff too
westlondonhammer

Postby bubbles1966 on Sun Jul 08, 2018 7:04 pm

I suspect that changing to this is going to lead to even greater compromises on quality in the transfer market because the money will need to be spread more thinly because larger numbers of existing players are inadequate in this set up .

If they had stuck with three at the back, we would probably have needed about 5, maybe 6, in total - yet we've already recruited 5 (incl. Balbuena, Wilshere) and we still have quality deficits all over the place.
bubbles1966

Postby Burnley Hammer on Sun Jul 08, 2018 9:10 pm

Defensive midfielders are something you could bring in quite cheaply of you were shrewd and had a director of football that knew the market. There's no shortage of midfielders in the world that know how to tackle and track back. Its just that we don't have any - or at least nobody that can be arsed. I still rate obiang and think he's capable of a lot more than he showed last season. We need a workhorse... a high energy midfielder that chases people down, constantly hustles and breaks down attacks. He doesn't have to be the most technically gifted... He just needs to know who to give it to once he wins it. I hear Sturaro is that type of player.

It's a hard one discuss as we clearly haven't finished our business and our midfield could look very different in 3 weeks time.
Burnley Hammer

Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham

Postby hammerman11 on Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:26 am

lets hope our midfield does as we cant start with noble and kouyate in the team

4 fredericks diop ogbonna ?
2 obiang ?
2 Wilshire ?
2 arnie Hernandez

so at least another 3 players needed
hammerman11

Postby bobd_uk on Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:12 am

With last seasons defence, it would be a nightmare to play 4 at the back. However, we've signed a RB, been linked with a LB (Lukaku), signed a CB and linked with others (Balbuena, etc), so it looks like Pellegrini is trying to address that!
bobd_uk

Postby JLCABA on Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:47 am

hammerman11 wrote:lets hope our midfield does as we cant start with noble and kouyate in the team

2 obiang ?
2 Wilshire ?
2 arnie Hernandez

In a previous life did Aaron Creswell bully you at school , or something ?
JLCABA

Postby StackerJJ on Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:01 am

Our formation will depend on the players we ultimately sign.. We can play with a 4 if we get the right cover in midfield, if we dont then we can play 5 (with wingbacks) at the moment in my opion based on current squad it should be 5
StackerJJ

Postby Burnley Hammer on Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:39 am

JLCABA wrote:In a previous life did Aaron Creswell bully you at school , or something ?

Cresswell? He couldn't bully a kitten.
Burnley Hammer

Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham

Postby YorksHammer on Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:35 pm

bobd_uk wrote:With last seasons defence, it would be a nightmare to play 4 at the back. However, we've signed a RB, been linked with a LB (Lukaku), signed a CB and linked with others (Balbuena, etc), so it looks like Pellegrini is trying to address that!

I'd feel pretty uneasy about having a completely new back five going in to the new season, including the goal keeper. I think we needed that turnover, but it could be a pretty rough first few games as those players get used to each other, not least the Premier League as well.

I think we were 4-2-3-1 against Winterthur yesterday, which might give a half decent sign of things to come - you probably don't start setting up like that in your first friendly if you're not intending to play in that formation going forward.
YorksHammer

Postby nickstanley66 on Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:27 pm

hammerman11 wrote:lets hope our midfield does as we cant start with noble and kouyate in the team

2 obiang ?
2 Wilshire ?
2 arnie Hernandez

4 fredericks diop ogbonna Creswell
2 obiang Noble
2 Wilshire Antonio
nickstanley66

Postby Colours never run on Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:33 pm

Almost impossible at this stage to gauge. So many ins and outs in the coming weeks and experimenting to be going on it could be anything.

I actually ain't fearful of a flat back four again, depending on right personnel and how we intend to play. New centre backs, right back and potentially a new DM changes everything. He likes a back four because it'll mean bombing full backs going forward, it's just getting the jigsaw puzzle right in other places to cover adequately. And I don't think Cresswell is a poor left back in any case. I think Masuamu can do a job although obviously prefer him going the other way.

And if it don't work, 352 should be an option with current players available.

Interesting to see what Pellegrini decides to do.
Colours never run

Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"

Postby Crossd_Hammrs on Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:49 pm

If we're really looking at bring in two first-XI centre backs then surely we must be going for three at the back? I can't see us spending decent money on backup players.

Diop plus Mawson/Lascelles/Balbuena together with Ogbonna, Reid and Rice. Oxford? And the possibility of Zabaleta filling in there. Kouyate too?
We know our left backs are a bit iffy defensively, and, so I've read, Fredericks is more of a pacy wing back.
So, squad-wise, it would make more sense to me to be playing three central defenders and two wing backs.
Crossd_Hammrs

Postby spod on Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:24 pm

I don't see Wilshere as an AM. I'd like to see him right in the middle. Alongside him, he'd need someone quick, full of energy and tough in the tackle. Strangely, Kouyate could be the perfect man for that role. He just doesn't seem to want to do it.
spod

Postby Knighter10WHU on Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:40 pm

Difficult for Pellegrini to shape this side how he tends to like it (4-2-2-2) given both the previous managers ultimately wanted to play 3-4-3 and the squad is very much setup this way.
Knighter10WHU

Postby mumbles87 on Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:45 pm

england seem to be performing well playing 3 5 2 .. surely good enough for us aswell?

--------------------------Fabianski

-------------------Diop----Rice---Ogbonna

Fredericks---Wilshere--Obiang---Kouyate----Arthur

-----------------------Arnie----Hernandez
mumbles87

Postby Patito on Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:52 pm

It will either be a 4-2-2-2 or a 4-2-3-1
Patito

Next

Return to General Discussion