Jack Wilshere

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Re: Jack Wilshere

Postby Claret&Blue,Thru& on Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:19 pm

SullySpecial wrote:Jack Windshear is going to be HOTY.

Perhaps we should have signed HIM then?
Claret&Blue,Thru&

Postby rossmundo on Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:26 pm

[quote="Lincolnhammer92"]

People have been saying that every time we've signed a midfielder for years, and he's outlasted the lot, so, once again, this is b*llocks.

I admire your naive loyalty but its like comparing a ford mondeo to a bentley. Remind me but im sure Noble dont have over 30 England caps.
Last edited by rossmundo on Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rossmundo

Postby Morocco Mole on Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:26 pm

Jameslegend wrote:
And for those doubting if he’s still got it, this ones from last season and is equally as good!

https://youtu.be/YBZ2K4fU1-s

Welcome Jack, stay healthy and perform like that and you’ll be a big hit here.

To be fair for someone that's supposed to be a crock that's a proper quality highlights reel. :thup:
Morocco Mole

Postby smuts on Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:31 pm

I really think he's going to do well for us.
smuts

Postby Bend it like Repka on Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:35 pm

A good signing. Yes risky with his injury record, but a top quality player when fit.

Hopefully he'll go on to be a legend for us. :crest:
Bend it like Repka

Postby 'Appy 'Ammer on Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:18 pm

rossmundo wrote:[quote="Lincolnhammer92

People have been saying that every time we've signed a midfielder for years, and he's outlasted the lot, so, once again, this is b*llocks.

I admire your naive loyalty but its like comparing a ford mondeo to a bentley. Remind me but im sure Noble dont have over 30 England caps.

Gt

David Bentley??
'Appy 'Ammer

Postby Colours never run on Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:10 am

rossmundo wrote:This must mean the end of the Canning town Cart Horse, you wont be able to play both in the same team.

Easily play them together and it will purr at times when they do. Be prepared to see them play a lot of games together in the same midfield, injuries permitting.
Colours never run

Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"

Postby Spammy The Vee on Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:41 am

rossmundo wrote:

Lets hope Jack puts in something close to Ford Mondeo's 450+ West Ham appearances !
Spammy The Vee

Postby hadleighhammer on Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:45 am

A quality player, but If he not on a PAYP deal he better not get injured. We already got 1 sicknote, unprofessional muppet taking up wages and a squad place that could be used on a regular starter, dont need another.
hadleighhammer
Gentrified

Location: On my computer trying to keep up with the Sky fixture changes

Postby The Straw on Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:07 am

Long post alert!

8 years ago I went to watch West Ham play Bolton at Upton Park. The only game I've ever been a 'corporate' guest before or since. I remember the day so well. Had the free dinner and beers before the game.. a few funny stories from Phil Parkes and Tony Cottee etc. Lovely.

Great seats. Just behind the dugout. Laughing at Owen Coyle in his shorts. And then realising those shorts could have actually fitted as Zola's actual trousers...

That day I saw Jack Wilshere play football for the first time. 18 years old he was. I'd heard he was a hammer and so was all his family.  I couldn't believe how good he was. He ran the whole game of top-flight football with such finesse, aggression and arrogance. I thought he'd certainly be England's next great footballer. One who could control games like the way Pirlo and Riquelme did at that time.

So I know how good he is and how good he can be. We saw it against Barcelona in 2011.

I just don't think I've ever seen that quality from  him since. So injured. All the time. Obviously he's played 60 odd games these last 2 seasons but we haven't seen the same player that he was and I think he's regressed as a player.

But he's only 26. And I think he can be the best midfielder around. If we get him back to his very best then we've probably made the best signing in years.

I just worry that injuries have robbed him of that something special.. we rarely do well out of Arsenal. We all are bear the Ljungberg scars!

Don't get me wrong he's got my absolute backing and if I owned the club I would have signed him too. But I hope we don't have to rely on his fitness. I'd sign another top class midfielder too. One with an impeccable injury record and one who can always be relied on, even if he does cost £40 millions. Let's go for it.

Welcome to West Ham Jack, you might be the best signing we've made since we found all that dough for Devo ;)

Irons.
The Straw

Postby Colours never run on Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:33 am

Good post, that.

Simply put, it was a gamble worth taking because he is on a 'Free'. Granted wages and signing on fee etc will still be significant but should it work out where we get to see him play regularly more often than not, then we are laughing. Frees of his calibre, at his age and without career threatening injuries it was an opportunity too good to pass up on. No guarantees in life but I've a very good feeling about this signing.

As for not being anything like the original player you saw as a 18yo, I think that's wide of the mark. Even during the past 2 seasons he's proved to me he's still got it and at 26, plenty more left in the tank.

Worst case scenario, always injured then ok it hasn't worked and we have to put up with high wages for 3 seasons. I doubt it'll be anywhere near that extreme though should it not quite work out.
Colours never run

Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"

Postby SirStoneyOfBow on Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:46 am

I’m all for his signing. Still has a lot to give and seeing as he was available on a free it’s worth a go.
If the rest of the signings go as according to plan, we have a season to genuinely look forward to. :crest:
SirStoneyOfBow

Postby Irrons on Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:25 am

Jack Wilshere is class. About the only England squad omission I really disagreed with. You can see his talent in the highlights reel posted above. Very happy we've signed him and hope he can stay fit and do well for us
Irrons

Postby IronworksDave on Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:32 am

It's the signing of a club with mid-table ambitions .... Wilshere will not get any better, in fact it's a near certainty he will get worse as age and injuries wear him down .... NO SIDE WITH AMBITION would have touched him with a barge pole .... signing cast-off's from other EPL clubs is not what West Ham should be about .... why not Jack Grealish? at least he has potential .....

What's so disappointing is that our owners have lowered our expectations so far that many are now 'happy' with this level of ambition ... ten years ago signing an Arsenal reject would have been unconscionable, remember when Ljunberg was made club captain, what a feckin' disaster ... how soon we forget
IronworksDave

Postby goingunderground on Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:11 am

IronworksDave wrote:It's the signing of a club with mid-table ambitions .... Wilshere will not get any better, in fact it's a near certainty he will get worse as age and injuries wear him down .... NO SIDE WITH AMBITION would have touched him with a barge pole .... signing cast-off's from other EPL clubs is not what West Ham should be about .... why not Jack Grealish? at least he has potential .....

What's so disappointing is that our owners have lowered our expectations so far that many are now 'happy' with this level of ambition ... ten years ago signing an Arsenal reject would have been unconscionable, remember when Ljunberg was made club captain, what a feckin' disaster ... how soon we forget

He's hardly a cast off - they offered him a new contract with limited playing time - i.e., we still value you, but you're not in the manager's plans. This is nothing like the Ljungberg catastrophe.

I think he's an exciting gamble. But he's shouldn't be in place of an actual proper CDM signing like Seri etc. Just another option and ya never know, we may be watching a new cult hero be born. Maybe.

I'm pretty chuffed TBH.
goingunderground

Postby Colours never run on Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:13 am

Arsenal reject? Come on man, give your head a little wobble because you're usually better than that. You're making him out to be some kind of past it, ancient cripple who's no good anymore. The reality is far removed from that yet that's how you're painting him out to be.

Signing Jack Wilshere (regardless of transfer fee or not) at 26 having proved his fitness in recent seasons, for our Club is definitely next level for us with his experience and pedigree for both Club and Country especially for one so young still. (Have to pinch myself he's 26)

And for the record, I haven't just wanted us to sign him now, I've long wanted him here even when he had a big price tag not so long ago or indeed at least on loan when he was starting out. My expectations are high and Wilshere arriving now matches that ambition. The proof in the pudding throughout his West ham career will be how much football he actually plays and for now, I remain optimistic he'll play the lion share of games although don't expect him to be fit all the time.

This should prove to be a very shrewd signing and one I reckon many teams in the league, including some in the top 8 will regret passing up on the opportunity to sign him on a free when the opportunity arose.
Colours never run

Postby goingunderground on Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:19 am

Colours never run wrote:Arsenal reject? Come on man, give your head a little wobble because you're usually better than that. You're making him out to be some kind of past it, ancient cripple who's no good anymore. The reality is far removed from that yet that's how you're painting him out to be.

Signing Jack Wilshere (regardless of transfer fee or not) at 26 having proved his fitness in recent seasons, for our Club is definitely next level for us with his experience and pedigree for both Club and Country especially for one so young still. (Have to pinch myself he's 26)

And for the record, I haven't just wanted us to sign him now, I've long wanted him here even when he had a big price tag not so long ago or indeed at least on loan when he was starting out. My expectations are high and Wilshere arriving now matches that ambition. The proof in the pudding throughout his West ham career will be how much football he actually plays and for now, I remain optimistic he'll play the lion share of games although don't expect him to be fit all the time.

This should prove to be a very shrewd signing and one I reckon many teams in the league, including some in the top 8 will regret passing up on the opportunity to sign him on a free when the opportunity arose.

And this.
goingunderground

Postby IronworksDave on Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:21 am

Yeah went in a bit harsh there ... just not my type of player or person, annoying little **** who never backs up his words with actions ... let's hope he does final fulfill that 'potential' and I can happily hold my hands up and be very wrong about him ...
To have any chance we MUST sign a big solid DCM ... Noble and Jack between them are 100kg soaking wet, our midfield will get bullied all ways to Sunday without decent support .....
IronworksDave

Postby Colours never run on Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:44 am

I do agree, ideally we still need a quality DM - although interested to see how both Rice and Obiang get on in that position especially Rice who I think is made for the role should Pellegrini clock it.

I don't think either Noble or Wilshere are pushovers though, both can hold their own Inna football pitch and at the least win plenty of free kicks because all the oppo want to do is kick lumps out of them because they struggle to cope with their passing when on the ball. They do need an extra insurance of a DM just to mop up in front of the back four then the midfield should purr. I'm interested in how we go about it, if at all if Pellegrini thinks we have that position already covered. I'm prepared to trust the new managers judgement either way for now.
Colours never run

Postby hammerman11 on Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:39 am

great signing and looking forward to seeing him and the new look hammers this season. we need the CDM as noble, kouyate are not up to it and obiang is back from a bad injury.

Carvalho ndiaye are the two that spring to mind for me.

jack needs a strong player alongside him
hammerman11

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion