Good luck, Reece

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Good luck, Reece

Postby Up the Junction on Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:43 pm

Goodbye, Reece Burke. Just the latest in a long line of our highly-rated youngsters to depart, following the likes of Rob Hall (Oxford Utd), Oscar Borg (Villa) and Dan Potts (Luton).

Also a lot of fuss for 14 games and one Carabao Cup goal. Are we, as a fanbase, guilty of over-hyping our young players?
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place

Re: Good luck, Reece

Postby S-H on Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:45 pm

All the best to the lad.

:thup:
S-H

Postby ohsnap on Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:46 pm

Goodluck Reece! :crest:
ohsnap

Postby HammerMan2004 on Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:47 pm

I wish him all the best. I don't think anyone ever expected him to break into the first team, it was more hope than expectation. Rice has two years+ on him and is a better prospect.
HammerMan2004

Postby Marky on Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:47 pm

in the 14 games I saw he did well. He could be a £7m+ player. He will do well there.
Marky

Postby smuts on Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:47 pm

All the best Reece. Hopefully Rice will put an end to this long run of youngsters who come on to the scene and then peter out with us.
smuts

Postby SullySpecial on Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:48 pm

I don’t think we’re guilty of over hyping. I think the club is absolutely crap at working out how to turn academy players in to 1st XI players. There’s definitely something wrong with the way they are being developed. They either stagnate or regress.

I fully expect the other Reece to disappear soon, along with Samuelson.
SullySpecial

Postby szola on Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:53 pm

Good luck to him :thup:

Don't consider him good enough to start a game at ours, so best for all parties that we move on.

Generally speaking, our Academy is far off the best in the country. And even they have difficulties promoting players from within.
szola

Postby DDHammer on Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:07 pm

Good luck Reece, think him and Cullen will probably enjoy decent enough mid-table Championship careers. Unfortunately haven't seen anything to suggest we'll regret letting him go.
DDHammer

Postby Georgee Paris on Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:08 pm

We we’ll get bitten on the arse sooner or later. I can’t help think he might have had more opportunities at most of our rivals.
Georgee Paris

Postby Colours never run on Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:12 pm

Sad to see him go and I have no doubt he'll be a regular in the Premium soon. I really do believe he's got what it takes and don't think he's been given a fair crack of the ship by Pellegrini if I'm honest. Although looking at it from the new managers point of view, I can understand why he's in a hurry to push the squad on with more established ready made quality defenders and feels Burke isn't going to be part of his plans considering the competition already, as well as 1 or 2 more coming in. A Hammer too.
Colours never run

Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"

Postby His legs have gone on Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:14 pm

Shame cos i thought he did well during the games he played at the end of the season under Big Sam.
Sure he has a good career ahead of him, good luck to him!
His legs have gone

Postby alkali on Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:15 pm

Good luck, Reece. Prove us wrong!
alkali

Postby the pink palermo on Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:15 pm

Good luck to him, I hope he has a good career with a huge amount of pitch time. :thup:

Do we overhype our youngsters ?

Possibly, but it's kind of natural to want home grown talent to do well. The issue though is PL careers are getting shorter in terms of games played, a combination of the pace of the game and risk averse Managers not giving a youngster a chance.

If we produce one first team regular every 5 or 6 years we will have done well. The same applies to most clubs.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin

Postby OohAahButler on Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:19 pm

I don't think we're guilty of over-hyping, I think we're guilty of over-using the loan system. Sometimes, a young lad needs some game time with our first team to demonstrate what he can do with better players around him. Was Rice a better prospect than either of the Reeces? I'm not sure that he was - he just happened to be around and with the club at the right time and grabbed his chance.

If Oxford was given a proper run of games after his initial breakthrough v Arsenal - and not binned off immediately he had a poor game (he's not the only one to be given the runaround by Lukaku) - he might just have grown into the role. Problem is, the Premiership is so pressured and results-driven that the youngsters so rarely get their chance to step up and shine.
OohAahButler

Postby sanchoz on Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:45 pm

Part of it as well I feel is WHUFC is never really in a position where we can give a younger player more of a chance in the first team (Rice last season mostly being out of necessity and then earning his chance). Each league position is worth over £1m per finish up the league and we lurch from on-field crisis to crisis at the best of times so "proven internationals" are the route we go down to starve off relegation fears or to climb the table into mid-table. Youngsters are too much of a risk seemingly.

Burke, I would have liked to see him stay but partly his move is down to the fact he want's to play and you can't fault him for that when he see us pay (reportedly) over £20m for a centre half. Good luck to him :thup:
sanchoz

Location: Founder of the Carlton Cole Fan Club - Rainham & Guildford Branch

Postby The Old Man of Storr on Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:51 pm

I honestly thought he'd be the next one to make the grade then along came Declan Rice - the Premier League is a tough place to break in to but just because he's not playing there now doesn't mean he won't be in the future [ see Junior Stanislas ] . Good Luck , Reece .
The Old Man of Storr

Postby HammerMan2004 on Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:52 pm

Let's not forget that Burke struggled to get into the Wigan team, and then the Bolton team.
HammerMan2004

Postby YorksHammer on Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:53 pm

Thought he looked good in the PL games he played towards the end of Allardyce's reign, and at Bradford, but since that loan what I've seen of him suggested his development had stagnated for whatever reason.

Hopefully a move will serve him well and he'll find regular playing time does him the world of good.
YorksHammer

Postby sanchoz on Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:09 pm

HammerMan2004 wrote:Let's not forget that Burke struggled to get into the Wigan team, and then the Bolton team.

Suffered a long term injury at Wigan.

On-loan West Ham defender Reece Burke made his comeback to the Latics team after a 25 game absence against Cardiff City and was left feeling the side's performance should have resulted in victory.

Burke, who has not featured for the club since early December due to a hip injury, made an impression for Graham Barrow’s men at right back as they played out a goalless draw against the Bluebirds despite being the more positive side side throughout.

https://www.wiganathletic.com/news/2017 ... rved-more/
sanchoz

Location: Founder of the Carlton Cole Fan Club - Rainham & Guildford Branch

Next

Return to General Discussion