Good luck, Reece

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Re: Good luck, Reece

Postby Jedi Al Khalaas on Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:16 pm

Whenever i saw him he looked good , so am disappointedwe just didnt give him a run
Jedi Al Khalaas
Shut that door ...

Postby Up the Junction on Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:21 pm

The problem is, the English Premier League is now the world's 'premier' league. Apparently 40 players left in the remaining four World Cup squads ply their trade in the PL, the closest to that figure is La Liga (IIRC) with 12.

This is what kids like Reece are fighting against now.

To break through, they have to be as good as some of the very best players in the world. He may be one of the best ten young English centre halves of his generation, but it's no guarantee of a starting spot in any top flight side.
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place

Postby Faithless on Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:41 pm

Couldn't agree more UTJ. The Premier League is now very much a place for the finished article to play. Apart from the England squad how many of the other players left in the World Cup had to start out in a league as competitive? Relegation in the Premier League era has become such a terrifying thought for established sides that they'll rarely chance putting a young unproven player on the pitch.

Most of the foreign players arrive on these shores having played for a number of years in less aggressive and result driven leagues. Even De Bruyne had played over a 100 games before he moved to Chelsea and struggled he then played another 100 before he moved to Man City. It's interesting that a number of young English players now seem to be interested in going abroad as opposed to sitting on the bench week in week out.

I wish Reece all the best and hope he has a successful career
Faithless

Location: On a bubble approaching the sky.....Born 7 days too late...38 years n counting

Postby Knighter10WHU on Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:45 pm

No reason why Reece couldn’t have taken over from Collins as our 4th/5th choice CB in my opinion. Shame to see a loyal lad like him go when you’ve got p***** like Oxford hanging on trying to get as much money as possible and not giving a **** about the football club.
Knighter10WHU

Postby Clucking Bell on Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:00 pm

I think that's it's natural to want our home-grown players to do well and we're all probably inclined to give them the benefit of the doubt so I suppose that's over-hyping to a degree.

As a club in recent years, I think we've been a bit over-hopeful and hung on to the academy graduates for too long. I think that if you're 18-20 and made it into the first team squad, it only takes half a dozen games to assess whether you're really going to make it in the short term. There are always going to be late developers like Harry Maguire and Jamie Vardy that we let go but, they aren't going to get better playing in the reserves and, if we send them out on loan, they need to be pretty much the best player in the team and playing every game or they won't develop and meet the standard.

I tend to agree with Pinky and If we bring through one player every two or three years, we're doing very well.

As far as the current crop are concerned: Rice is the real deal and Oxford might be. Cullen and Burke's best chance of playing in the PL is to follow the same route as Stanislas and Leon Britton: play for a decent Championship team that gets promoted.
Clucking Bell

Location: Make piss ..... check ..... crossed arms .... check .... wife hates me ... result!!

Postby cockney hammer on Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:29 pm

was in the same class asmy son jack met him a few times when hen was with jack a really good kid i wish him all the very best i no how much he loves west ham
cockney hammer
Resident badge expert

Postby jacko on Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:09 pm

I don't think ever looked good enough for the premier league. I'll be amazed if he ends up there. But good luck to him.
jacko

Postby Burnley Hammer on Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:38 pm

Up the Junction wrote:The problem is, the English Premier League is now the world's 'premier' league. Apparently 40 players left in the remaining four World Cup squads ply their trade in the PL, the closest to that figure is La Liga (IIRC) with 12.

This is what kids like Reece are fighting against now.

To break through, they have to be as good as some of the very best players in the world. He may be one of the best ten young English centre halves of his generation, but it's no guarantee of a starting spot in any top flight side.

For that reason, I'm surprised more of our youngsters don't do the opposite and go abroad for their development.

Surely that would be better for their development than going on loan to Oxford?
Burnley Hammer

Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham

Postby Kludgehammer on Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:42 pm

Best of luck to Reece - I really thought he was going to be the next one to break through into our first team after that storming season at Bradford, but a succession of injuries (and our general crapness over the last two seasons) has knocked him back
Kludgehammer

Postby Nesticles on Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:48 pm

Clubs our size are terrified of relegation

Combined at a club with owners like ours who only think short-term rather than long-term, there is little emphasis on a manager to invest in youth when there are often old/experienced players they can use to plug gaps in the squad (see Evra last year, or any of our random loans over the years).

When you got owners undermining managers and announcing frequently that have a game or two to ‘save their job’, they aren’t going to leave their fate in youth players

Pelligrini has this all to come
Nesticles

Postby Jedi Al Khalaas on Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:20 pm

Dan Potts at least got a run in the team , RB didnt
Jedi Al Khalaas
Shut that door ...

Postby westlondonhammer on Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:23 pm

Good luck to the kid... hope he bounces back.

Glad he got a good gig :thup:
westlondonhammer

Postby Rowly on Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:24 pm

Always sad to see an Academy graduate move on without really having had a decent amount of games with us. Good luck to the lad, hope he goes on and does well, I had high hopes for him.
Rowly

Postby Hemel Iron on Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:29 pm

No great loss really.
Hemel Iron

Postby mushy on Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:30 pm

Jedi Al Khalaas wrote:Dan Potts at least got a run in the team , RB didnt

They both played five times for our first team.
mushy

Postby Chuck D on Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:09 pm

He is a nice kid, I met him after the Spurs game a few years back in the Social Club.

Hope he does well.
Chuck D
Rebel without a pause

Postby Hayden on Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:12 pm

Absolutely loves the club and will forever do. Sad to see him go but I have to believe those that have come and gone at the club know enough to determine whether he can break through. As UtJ said it's so hard these days. I hope he does well for Hull and does get that Premiership football. Not a fan of Hull at all, but wish him all the best.
Hayden

Postby romfordneil on Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:49 pm

He never looked like a premier league player to me, reminded me of Elliot Ward. He'll do ok in the championship but he needs to play regular football and he wasn't getting that here.
romfordneil

Postby BillUp on Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:58 am

I think a lot of the over-hyping is done by the club itself with the language they use to describe the player. "superb young talent", "wonderkid", "top academy prospect" etc etc. So we buy into it and think we could have a real talent on our hands.

This is inherent throughout football of all leagues and nations. I absolutely hate it when a player is mentioned as a "star" in the press. Portsmouth's midfield star, Wigan's goalkeeping prodigy (as an example) is coming to the Prem, when basically he is a journeyman no better than most of the players in the league.

Your best bet is to ignore how players are described, and form your own opinion by watching the players actually play, and listening to people you trust to give an unbiased and impartial view.

Rant over :D
BillUp

Location: If God wanted us to play football in the clouds, he would have put grass there. Brian Clough.

Postby bspur1 on Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:27 am

in the games i saw him play he did well , can only wish him the best
bspur1

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion