Fabian 'The General' Balbuena

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Re: Fabian 'The General' Balbuena

Postby the celestial insect on Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:28 pm

Provided he (and his family) settle over here, I think he will go on to be a very good player for us. IMO, the early glitches are issues of communication, not lack of ability or application. He arguably has the biggest adjustment to make having never played outside of South America. I'm surprised he's featured so regularly as early as he has.
the celestial insect

Postby Ozza on Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:31 pm

the celestial insect wrote:Provided he (and his family) settle over here, I think he will go on to be a very good player for us. IMO, the early glitches are issues of communication, not lack of ability or application. He arguably has the biggest adjustment to make having never played outside of South America. I'm surprised he's featured so regularly as early as he has.

Me too, I'd think that the boss is using him earlier than he thought he would need to
Ozza

Postby mushy on Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:40 pm

Not convinced myself, centre of our defence worries me, especially when dealing with whipped in crosses.
We seem to.get caught flat and out of position frequently in these situations.
mushy

Postby frankiemac on Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:57 pm

will be superb for us...we have chopped and changed so much, yet centre half is a position where the 2 need a real understanding...last 2 games we have seen huge improvements
frankiemac

Postby S-H on Mon Sep 17, 2018 1:15 pm

Has he played every game? He seems to be improving every week.
S-H

Postby m-h on Mon Sep 17, 2018 1:31 pm

Good defensive play to win the key possession for us for the first goal. Then laid the ball of to Obiang for the ball over the top for Arnie.
m-h

Postby student_hammer on Mon Sep 17, 2018 1:58 pm

mushy wrote:Not convinced myself, centre of our defence worries me, especially when dealing with whipped in crosses.
We seem to.get caught flat and out of position frequently in these situations.

agree mushy

i'm not convinced either yet.

it's either the high line we're tying to play when we catch players off-side (backfired twice yesterday tosun & niasse, both unpunished) or Balbuena hasn't got very good positional awareness. i personally think its a bit of both, as i cant recall as many obvious errors Diop has made with his positioning.

glaring mistakes (mostly positional) off the top of my head:

- callum wilson goal for bournemouth
- raul jimenez miss of the season for wolves, he was nowhere near the player
- sigurdsson headed goal yesterday
- when cenk tosun ran through the centre of our defence second half and scuffed his shot
- niasse's missed chance

that being said, i prefer him to Ogbonna and i'm not writing him off at all. just saying what i see. maybe he needs to continue to adjust to MP's tactics as well as the pace, quality of premier league.

what i do like, is he seems to be forging a partnership with Diop. it would be nice to have a settled, formidable, centre back pairing who can be relied on. so fingers crossed.
student_hammer

Postby Aztec Hammer on Sat Sep 29, 2018 7:18 pm

Starting to look like we might have a Pellegrini Special.

Powerful, composed Centre Half performance today.
Aztec Hammer

Postby sendô on Sat Sep 29, 2018 7:21 pm

The transformation from the first couple to the last couple of games is remarkable. He's looked very composed and seems to have good positional sense. Long may it continue. I sense a cult hero here.
Last edited by sendô on Sat Sep 29, 2018 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sendô

Postby S-H on Sat Sep 29, 2018 7:23 pm

sendô wrote:The transformation from the first couple to the last couple of games is remarkable. He's looked very composed and seems to have good positional sense. Long may it continue. I sense a cult here here.

I agree sends.
S-H

Postby Clucking Bell on Sat Sep 29, 2018 7:41 pm

I feel that with centre backs, the attribute they need above all others is to be standing in the right place at the right time. Bobby Moore had this in spades and Balbuena also appears to have the gift. He also makes good decisions: he knows when to smack the ball into row Z but, when he's got a second or two, he plays an intelligent ball out of the back. In today's market, it's looking like five million quid very well spent.

If him and Diop stay fit, I can't see Reid or Oggy getting any game time outside of the cups.
Clucking Bell

Location: Make piss ..... check ..... crossed arms .... check .... wife hates me ... result!!

Postby happydaystoytown on Sat Sep 29, 2018 7:41 pm

I think we've got the makings of a great centre back pairing, with Diop and The General.

Rather than the reactiveness of Ogbonna, they both have great anticipation, reading a situation and getting foot in before it can develop.

Keep it up fellas. :thup:
happydaystoytown

Postby happydaystoytown on Sat Sep 29, 2018 7:44 pm

Snap, Clucking Bell. :thup:
happydaystoytown

Postby Jumby on Sun Sep 30, 2018 1:23 am

Alvin Martin, Slaven Bilic, Rio Ferdinand, James Tomkins, Winston Reid........I have a feeling that The General is going to join my favourite Hammers centre backs, another fine display today, I love how switched on he is.
Jumby

Postby the pink palermo on Sun Sep 30, 2018 9:25 am

To come in to the PL and do as well as he has is remarkable.

Possibly the value signing of the summer.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin

Postby ereford ammer on Sun Sep 30, 2018 9:28 am

There is always a risk with South Americans. This gamble seems to have paid off handsomely. He is an integral part of a solid defence.
ereford ammer

Postby S-H on Sun Sep 30, 2018 9:30 am

the pink palermo wrote:To come in to the PL and do as well as he has is remarkable.

Possibly the value signing of the summer.

I agree pinks, between him and Fabianski, for me.
S-H

Postby StevePottsGoalsReel on Sun Sep 30, 2018 9:40 am

Keep assuming The General is 32 or something. He only turned 27 last month. Hope he and Diop can build a partnership that endures for many a season.
StevePottsGoalsReel

Postby wizzo_66 on Sun Sep 30, 2018 9:55 am

I don't see any transformation. Has been excellent since day 1. He had head space Ogbonna next to him and lack of protection from the midfield and now those issues have been resolved.

He gets better by the week but comfortably our best centre half already. The way he steps in front of his man to win the ball and start an attack is what the top top defenders do.
wizzo_66

Postby MrHammer73 on Sun Sep 30, 2018 10:16 am

The partnership of the General and Diop reminds me of Gabbidon & Anton in our first season back in the Premiership with Pardew.

Let's hope this partnership has more longevity than that one!! I have a feeling it will as both players seem to have their heads screwed on and will not get carried away with any hype that comes their way.
Last edited by MrHammer73 on Sun Sep 30, 2018 10:21 am, edited 2 times in total.
MrHammer73

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion