Fabian 'The General' Balbuena

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Re: balbeuna

Postby JLP123 on Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:46 pm

Thought he was great today, end of
JLP123

Re: Fabian 'The General' Balbuena

Postby hammer1975 on Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:24 pm

Thought he’d point more at the ball now he’s a bit settled. Guess that will come.

Played well today, I didn’t see the goal as being his man but haven’t watched it again yet. Looked like Diop or Rice’s but principally we should have never allowed the cross to come in.
hammer1975

Postby Jumby on Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:34 pm

He's still not convincing me yet but it's a new league, a new country, new team so I'm happy to give him the benefit of the doubt
Jumby

Postby hammerman11 on Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:48 am

he is new to team and country but setlling in fine. starts ahead of ogbonna with diop for me
hammerman11

Postby stu1 on Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:27 am

hammer1975 wrote:Played well today, I didn’t see the goal as being his man but haven’t watched it again yet. Looked like Diop or Rice’s but principally we should have never allowed the cross to come in.

It look to me that Diop got pulled out of position as he went to close down the Everton player who played the bell wide. This meant Diop was out position, ahead of the ball when the cross came in.
stu1

Postby Patito on Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:45 am

Think he's been consistently decent for us so far this season. Looks a snip at the price we paid.
Patito

Postby S-H on Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:47 am

stu1 wrote:
It look to me that Diop got pulled out of position as he went to close down the Everton player who played the bell wide. This meant Diop was out position, ahead of the ball when the cross came in.

That's how I saw it too.
S-H

Postby scosborn on Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:47 am

stu1 wrote:

This is what happened. Diop went to close the ball down and, as such, when the ball came in Balbuena was sort of in between the two as he was covering two men. Think the collective has to take responsibility for the goal as we let the cross come in too easily.

I think he is going to be ok for us.
scosborn

Postby MrHammer73 on Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:58 am

Are we still pining for Mawson after the recent impressive performances by The General and Issa?
MrHammer73

Postby S-H on Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:00 am

MrHammer73 wrote:Are we still pining for Mawson after the recent impressive performances by The General and Issa?

Would have been a nice signing, considering Winston will be out for a while.

You can never have enough quality.
S-H

Postby MrHammer73 on Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:08 am

You are right Somerset but felt the hype for Mawson was a bit over the top considering he was a central defender from a relegated team.

Fab is different as he has been a proven premiership keeper for a number of years.

But it's early days, and Mawson may prove me wrong at the end of the season.
MrHammer73

Postby hammerleroy on Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:11 am

Well there was their goal, the header straight at our keeper, the shot which hit the bar and the miss, which probably was offside, for a start. Surely all this was in centre back territory? Not digging the General out but it didn't look as if anyone picked up these players. Perhaps others saw it differently. Opinions huh!!!
hammerleroy

Postby Ozza on Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:11 am

MrHammer73 wrote:You are right Somerset but felt the hype for Mawson was a bit over the top considering he was a central defender from a relegated team.

Fab is different as he has been a proven premiership keeper for a number of years.

But it's early days, and Mawson may prove me wrong at the end of the season.

I'm not digging you out, but I've never understood this mentality about relegated players, we've sold a stack of players after relegation that have gone on to have stellar careers, not forgetting Dean Ashton and Greeno that we picked up from Norwich when they got relegated
Ozza

Postby MrHammer73 on Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:21 am

[/quote]

I'm not digging you out, but I've never understood this mentality about relegated players, we've sold a stack of players after relegation that have gone on to have stellar careers, not forgetting Dean Ashton and Greeno that we picked up from Norwich when they got relegated[/quote]

My point is with defenders from relegated teams, not forwards or midfielders. I just feel getting a central defefender from a relegated team is a risk coming from a team that would have conceded a lot of goals.

I did not see many of our defenders being snapped by other premiership clubs when we got relegated, with the exception being Glen Johnson who was an outstanding prospect to be fair.
MrHammer73

Postby Ozza on Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:30 am

Think you've answered your own point there
Ozza

Postby steveyrockstar on Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:43 am

MrHammer73 wrote:
My point is with defenders from relegated teams, not forwards or midfielders. I just feel getting a central defefender from a relegated team is a risk coming from a team that would have conceded a lot of goals.

I did not see many of our defenders being snapped by other premiership clubs when we got relegated, with the exception being Glen Johnson who was an outstanding prospect to be fair.

We were relegated that season because of our awful defence though. It was shocking given the quality we had across the rest of the pitch. But not all teams go down because of their defenders. Would be far too simplistic to say that. You can have real quality in any position from a team that's struggling.

People were saying that our only 3 decent performers in our first 4 matches were Diop, Balbuena and the GK - odd then, given that we lost all 4 matches?

Anyway, back on topic, I think the General has looks decent thus far and is definitely improving. I'm still not overly convinced though, I remember the way he didn't track Jimininez during the Wolves match when Jiminez fluffed his 1-on-1. Personally, I'd start Oggy over the General but the latter seems to be getting better.

Actually why has Oggy been dropped? I think he's one of our better players.
steveyrockstar

Postby HammerAl on Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:53 am

I think he's been very solid for us so far. He's an unglamorous, no-nonsense defender (in the Collins mould) that we need. Sure, he may get undone by a clever run every now and then, but we're West Ham and we're never going to have a Godin, Ramos or Chiellini (defenders who hardly ever make mistakes) on our books. FB is our level and should definitely be first choice with Diop, IMO.
HammerAl

Postby Burnley Hammer on Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:55 am

Considering that he'd never played a game outside South America before, I think he's settled in very well. Our back two will only get better as a proper understanding develops.
Burnley Hammer

Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham

Postby Puff Daddy on Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:11 am

Burnley Hammer wrote:Considering that he'd never played a game outside South America before, I think he's settled in very well. Our back two will only get better as a proper understanding develops.

I think he will play himself into being a regular in our team. He is slowly getting to grips with things and the pace of the game in The Premier League and I think he will alright. My only concern is, at 26, he had not previously got himself a move to Europe. The really outstanding ones move to one of Europe's elite, but even promissing ones will earn themselves to move to teams like Benfica, or Porto, or other teams like that
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton

Postby ryanrc on Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:29 am

I have my doubts about him but I love his attitude. When everybody wanted to slap Sanchez against Wolves he went straight over to him and comforted him. That's the mark of a real leader and he does not go hiding. His positioning and reactions sometimes worry me but hopefully he'll settle into the league and become even better.
ryanrc

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion