Away tickets 2018 / 2019 season

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Re: Away tickets 2018 / 2019 season

Postby brooking_1980 on Sun Feb 17, 2019 12:46 am

So I emailed the Premier League complaining about the Away Ticket policy at West Ham. They forwarded it to West Ham who responded and the email thread is below:

Sent: 11 February 2019 16:42
To: Brooking
Subject: RE: Fixtures FAQ

Dear Brooking,

Thank you for your email to the Premier League which they have passed to me as Supporter Services Manager at the Club to review.

Firstly, I am sorry to hear that you’re disappointed with the Club’s away match ticketing policies and processes.

I can assure you that the Club requests the maximum ticket allocation available to us for every away match fixture and we have taken the full ticket allocation for all away matches since 2017. Only a small and limited number of tickets are reserved for hospitality members and this is proportionate to the overall away ticket allocation received for the fixture. Additionally, the Club provides official transport to all away matches outside of London. This service is driven by demand, however, we always ensure there are a minimum of two coaches per match and the Club subsidises the cost of travel for some matches ensuring that supporters are always able to travel with us.

We are not opposed to playing home fixtures on Boxing Day and our Vice-Chairman has requested with the authorities in the past that we have a home match on Boxing Day.

In respect of Priority Points and the 10% ballot, feedback received from our Season Ticket Holders and Claret members suggests that there needs to be a system in place that limits the opportunity for some Season Ticket Holders to purchase tickets only to then place them for re-sale online using unofficial channels. Having listened to feedback from supporters, the Club has implemented a ballot process on the final 10% of any away ticket allocation (subject to availability) to provide those with fewer points the chance to get to away matches. This system was trialled to begin with in order to record and consider supporter feedback before it was fully implemented at the start of the 2018/19 season. The idea is to prevent a ‘closed shop’ with the same Season Ticket Holders who hold the most points effectively being guaranteed a ticket for every match and then passing it on to someone who is not a Season Ticket Holder whenever they cannot attend. We recognise that not all Season Ticket Holders do this of course, but there can only be one points system and at present this is deemed the fairest process. For transparency, Season Ticket Holders can openly view their Priority Points total in their online account, including a breakdown of the history and the matches for which their points have been accrued.

All suggestions received from our supporters are noted and, working with the Club, our Official Supporters’ Board has recently formed a Ticketing subgroup with Away Ticketing on the agenda.

Thank you for taking the time to write to us with your views.

Kind regards,

Jake

Jake Heath
Supporter Services Manager
West Ham United Football Club
Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park
whufc.com
Tel:

Sent: 08 January 2019 21:22
To: General Info <info@premierleague.com>
Subject: RE: Fixtures FAQ

Hi Tommy

Thanks for your message.

Absolutely agree that buying Tickets from that strange website is very unsafe and would not do that.

My point more is that the West Ham fans are complaining more and more about the number of Priority Points that they need to get to get these Away Tickets, there is certainly something going on behind the scenes. As football fans, we can only ask you, the Premier League to take a look, lest it should tarnish the Premier League brand and make the TV rights less valuable. The fans believe that West Ham United Football Club are engaging in one or more of the below, regards Away Tickets:

1. Not pushing for maximum allocations
2. Providing no specials (transport).
3. No interest in inconvenient tv rescheduling, including effect on fans who made train/air/hotel reservations.
4. No Boxing Day home games.
5. 10% ballot for away Tickets, highly suspected to be siphoning off Tickets for their own purposes.
6. Offers of tickets to corporate before regulars.
7. Opposing (£30) away ticket caps.
8. Fiddling with PP figures. It’s no surprise that the vast majority of the away crew loathe them.

Would it be possible for the Premier League to engage with West Ham United Football club and do some audit on the away Tickets to see exactly what’s going on with them ?

West Ham United Football Club does have “an established Fans Forum and a Supporter Liaison Officer “. They are all hand-picked by the Board, so there is no independence or ability to toe anything other than the Board’s official line. Additionally, they need to sign non-disclosure documents, before they attend meetings. They have removed the Press Accreditation of a lifelong fan, who I can vouch always toes a highly independent line, but it doesn’t always follow the official line. This is a football club, not MI5 or some 3rd world state where you’re not allowed to hold a view. That’s why you get the scenes like West Ham v Burnley last season, with the fans attacking the Board however they can, with the pictures beamed to a global audience. This behaviour won’t stop until answers to many issues, including away season Tickets are dealt with independently in a thorough manner.

If you want to send my message to someone and you think it will help, please do so and I will await to hear back from you personally.

Best regards
Brooking
brooking_1980

Postby Kialos on Sun Feb 17, 2019 6:36 pm

Pity the response is not someone with any responsibility for ticketing.

As for

All suggestions received from our supporters are noted and, working with the Club, our Official Supporters’ Board has recently formed a Ticketing subgroup with Away Ticketing on the agenda.

The "Away fans rep" has just "resigned". I wonder how many of the SAB MKII ticketing sub group are regular away game attendees or indeed have attended any away games?
Kialos

Postby westhamshares on Sun Feb 17, 2019 7:57 pm

Marky

I think my brand of IRONy was lost on you.

the point being that a midweek shlep to Man City does not interest the club London brigade hence the reason why the tickets have gone down to low points - were this a Saturday game and even more so a London venue it wouldn't get below 20 points as the club London crew would want tickets and suddenly the number of points required would shoot up.

My other comment was aimed as someone else picked up not that I want the price of tickets to go back up but that hopefully those people purchasing purely for points will find there are a lot of spares and wont be able to sell so easily. When tickets cost more less people were prepared to take that financial risk.
westhamshares

Postby brownout on Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:03 pm

I had a call from West Ham this morning to say that the seats we’ve got for Man City (block 314) should not have been sold. They have found some on the second tier (which the website didn’t offer so we assumed was sold out) and will send these - but first I have to send the originals back and they haven’t arrived yet.

Has anyone else had a similar call?
brownout

Postby rottiel on Tue Feb 19, 2019 4:50 pm

brownout wrote:Has anyone else had a similar call?

I'm block 313 and no call
rottiel

Postby brownout on Tue Feb 19, 2019 5:29 pm

We were row C of 314. I wonder if we’ve decided to send that block back to Man City?
brownout

Postby Watford 'Ammer on Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:00 pm

Didn’t sell out in the ballot so I’d say they’re returning that block of the top tier.
Watford 'Ammer

Postby westhamshares on Thu Feb 21, 2019 1:35 pm

Cardiff down to 17 points - lower than I expected - what did others expect ?

answers on a postcard to nicky keye - head of ticketing

seems like when west ham are playing (for want of a better expression) a non big 6 team or team from outside of London during the daytime the majority of the circa 500 club London who allegedly apply for away tickets aren't interested in tickets for these games so more for the rest of us -

marky et al just to be crystal clear im not talking about people who have got the required loyalty points

the fact that unless the club London people have the required loyalty points as the club term away points to have a priority right to buy away tickets seems to be ignored, hence the issue at certain more popular games - wait until we play those scallywags at ***** hart lane even more so if they've moved into their new ground - tickets will again be like rocking horse :thdn:

to the best of my memory it was NOT part of the original offer to encourage people to purchase tickets in club London that they should have a priority for away tickets so should not be offered now presumably as an inducement to get them to renew.

just a bit of honesty is all I ask - I know i'm asking too much of the people who run or own the club

if the club intend to offer x hundred away tickets to club London then publish it and be damned don't do it on the sly - i'd not like it but i'd understand and in time possibly accept it but IMO it should only be to those in the more expensive lounges.

if they did confirm that away ticket priority was included in club London might persuade me to move my seats and upgrade -

nah don't think so the view from the Arnold hills is gash - much worse than i've got now and the food and beer at places nearby much better
westhamshares

Postby mushy on Thu Feb 21, 2019 2:01 pm

Mr Shares,
Its the type of thing the away ticket representative should be tacking Ms Brady with at the SAB (or whatever its called these days).
Talking of which, I notice the only representative from the various online forums appears to be Sean Whetstone from Claret and Puke.
Its not really one big fix is it?
mushy

Postby westhamshares on Thu Feb 21, 2019 2:27 pm

Mushy

yes its hard to believe that sean is meant to represent the online supporter forums, no idea how or where to check stats and cant really be assed but his bio implying that c&h is a major online portal for west ham seems bolloxs to me.

read the minutes of the recent osb and then the bio's of the rest of the supporter reps

one young lady made a point of describing herself as social media savvy and a frequent user of social media

shame I couldn't find her on twitter but most the others were there easy enough to find

as to my point little chance of this being addressed genuinely and constructively.
westhamshares

Postby Marky on Thu Feb 21, 2019 2:27 pm

westhamshares wrote:...nah don't think so the view from the Arnold hills is gash - much worse than i've got now and the food and beer at places nearby much better

I dint disagree with this. I think those in The Forge and Chairman’s club (or whatever it’s called ) get the priority.
Last edited by Up the Junction on Fri Mar 01, 2019 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Large quote edited.
Marky

Postby mike1961 on Thu Feb 21, 2019 2:34 pm

Just bought a Cardiff ticket with 17 points (it's now down to 16). So I should finish the season with 18 points having started on 9 and I'll be back to 9 next season. I have bought every away ticket that I was eligible for (apart from Leicester, that's Everton, Southampton,Man City and Cardiff) and I got 2 in the new ballots (Wolves and Crystal Palace). I'll try for Watford but I'm away for ManU and stand no chance for Chelsea (tho g I could try the ballot again, I suppose).

My experience gives the lie to the old theory that you can build up the points by going to the unpopular Northern games - I have taken every opportunity (bar a couple of games) to do that and I'm going to end up the season exactly where I started!
mike1961

Postby Marky on Thu Feb 21, 2019 3:00 pm

mike1961 wrote:Just bought a Cardiff ticket with 17 points (it's now down to 16). So I should finish the season with 18 points having started on 9 and I'll be back to 9 next season. I have bought every away ticket that I was eligible for (apart from Leicester, that's Everton, Southampton,Man City and Cardiff) and I got 2 in the new ballots (Wolves and Crystal Palace). I'll try for Watford but I'm away for ManU and stand no chance for Chelsea (tho g I could try the ballot again, I suppose).

My experience gives the lie to the old theory that you can build up the points by going to the unpopular Northern games - I have taken every opportunity (bar a couple of games) to do that and I'm going to end up the season exactly where I started!

I think you have to buy every single one you can including the above like city and Everton. I think it’s the only way.
I take your point though.
Marky

Postby westhamshares on Thu Feb 21, 2019 3:09 pm

Marky

if you "take his point" then he wont get any away tickets :D
westhamshares

Postby Marky on Thu Feb 21, 2019 3:21 pm

westhamshares wrote:Marky

if you "take his point" then he wont get any away tickets :D

I think if he bought every single ticket he would start the zseason on a lot higher ? I think its only option
Marky

Postby Row X on Thu Feb 21, 2019 3:30 pm

We're in the middle of a perfect storm.

£30 cap for away tickets
People moaning that the home match experience is poor
An extra 30,000 home season ticket holders, all eligible to purchase tickets
The stupid 10% ballot because people moaned, is now making the higher point holders thinking they now need to take every ticket they can, so they can get a ticket for the more desirable away games
Our board siphoning off away tickets to the corperate\posh seats to earn a few extra quid

Any more?
Row X

Postby irving boleyn on Thu Feb 21, 2019 4:21 pm

Well presented,Mike.

It's a closed shop I guess.

Last ten years I've always averaged about 18 points which means I could get to about 9 games a year usually Midlands/Lancs,occasionally Fulham/Crystal Palace. Never the desirable games at our Rival's London grounds although I did get to Wembley for a Sp*rs Cup Tie.

No longer possible.

The draw for the final 10% of tickets is a token effort at some fairness. But means you cant go with a mate and the randomness of it doesn't help you accrue many points
irving boleyn

Postby Dwight1970 on Thu Feb 21, 2019 4:42 pm

My son went from 0 in 2016/17 to 34 at present but since the introduction of the 10% ballot and the corporate take up I can see it would be much harder to do that now as the bar for points needed has been elevated to a higher level for so many games that were easy to buy for in previous seasons.

For me it seems the 10% ballot was introduced in anticipation of a problem and since being in place it has help fuel along with the corporate allocation to become one now.
Dwight1970

Postby Phil S on Thu Feb 21, 2019 5:29 pm

mike1961 wrote:Just bought a Cardiff ticket with 17 points (it's now down to 16). So I should finish the season with 18 points having started on 9 and I'll be back to 9 next season. I have bought every away ticket that I was eligible for (apart from Leicester, that's Everton, Southampton,Man City and Cardiff) and I got 2 in the new ballots (Wolves and Crystal Palace). I'll try for Watford but I'm away for ManU and stand no chance for Chelsea (tho g I could try the ballot again, I suppose).

The old theory worked if you were buying from the time we moved in to the new stadium. That was proven by a few people on here. That's ended now, you need to go to virtually all the aways..I don't know what the answer is.

Clearly people are buying for the point..how many? I don't know, but you can see the amount of tickets for less popular games on sale all over here, twitter etc.
Phil S

Postby OrrMakesItThree on Thu Feb 21, 2019 6:08 pm

Dwight1970 wrote:My son went from 0 in 2016/17 to 34 at present but since the introduction of the 10% ballot and the corporate take up I can see it would be much harder to do that now as the bar for points needed has been elevated to a higher level for so many games that were easy to buy for in previous seasons.

I'm in a similar position, 32 points now from having less than 5 three or four seasons ago. I wouldn't say it's harder to do that now....I'd say it's impossible!!!.
OrrMakesItThree

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion