New Tottenham stadium (non-WHU)

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Re: New Tottenham stadium (non-WHU)

Postby Georgee Paris on Tue Oct 30, 2018 3:31 pm

I think it’s a national disgrace that they’ve allowed Wembley- the home of England’s national sport to be ruined like this. Can you imagine Lords or twickenham getting trashed for a completely different foreign sport... and Tottenham.
Georgee Paris

Postby sutts07 on Tue Oct 30, 2018 3:53 pm

They play NFL at Twickenham.
sutts07

Postby Georgee Paris on Tue Oct 30, 2018 4:08 pm

Rugby is a stupid sport anyway
Georgee Paris

Postby sanchoz on Tue Oct 30, 2018 4:28 pm

sutts07 wrote:They play NFL at Twickenham.

Last year was the last of that arrangement. NFL have announced today that next season, two games will be at Wembley and two games at Tottenham's new stadium.
sanchoz

Location: Founder of the Carlton Cole Fan Club - Rainham & Guildford Branch

Postby goa127 on Tue Oct 30, 2018 4:47 pm

wildkard wrote:I still maintain that Spurs have bitten off more than they can chew. Whatever they think about themselves, they are not a club of anywhere near the size of Manchester United, Liverpool or even Chelsea and Manchester City. They've won nothing, then don't have the enormous international fanbases of the larger clubs, they don't pay big wages, they don't attract the same level of players. They don't even have the cash reserves that the likes of Arsenal have. A stadium costing as much as theirs is a massive gamble. It's a huge amount of debt to be saddled with as a club that traditionally wins nothing. I think there will be a bit of new found enthusiasm for their new gaff once it opens, but they will be back to flogging cheap Europa League tickets on the night of the game to make up a 10k shortfall of punters before long.

TL;DR - **** them.

Yes it's a massive gamble. Back in the 70s one new stand bankrupted Chelsea, the lower revenues in those days failing to cover the (then) huge costs. I can't stand spurs but I don't really want any club to get totally f****d, although I wouldn't mind seeing a few years of struggle down the lane :)
goa127

Postby sutts07 on Tue Oct 30, 2018 4:49 pm

Just wait to see the state of our pitch after the Yankees and Red Sox dump a load of sand all over it next summer...

Assume we will have time to totally re-lay the pitch.
sutts07

Postby Coops on Tue Oct 30, 2018 4:53 pm

Georgee Paris wrote:Rugby is a stupid sport anyway

Played by men with odd shaped balls.
Coops

Postby Jon on Tue Oct 30, 2018 6:39 pm

Apart from more fans being able to watch a match, little is to be gained by having a bigger stadium. No way does it equal trophies.

Sky money (and being well run) means Bournemouth (11k capacity) can easily compete against clubs with stadia 5x as big (Barcodes, Us..)

V. jealous of Spurs' success with players. Kane - free. Ali - £5m, Trippier £3.5m, Winks - free, Rose -£1m. Vertonghen £10m , Alder £11.5m.

Ps. Never new NFL pitches were so much narrower.
Jon

Postby brooking10 on Tue Oct 30, 2018 7:48 pm

I’m a little bit surprised quite a few people didn’t like the ‘old’ terraced White Hart Lane.

It was similar to Upton Park with standing on all sides, and all 4 stands covered (unlike Arsenal and Chelsea). The Shelf was impressive, think it held over 20000. I thought it was a great stadium, but not as intimidating as Upton Park. Like us, in my opinion, a lot of the character and mystique went when it started to be redeveloped in the early 80s.
brooking10

Postby Westbourne Bill on Tue Oct 30, 2018 7:52 pm

Jon wrote:Apart from more fans being able to watch a match, little is to be gained by having a bigger stadium. No way does it equal trophies.

Sky money (and being well run) means Bournemouth (11k capacity) can easily compete against clubs with stadia 5x as big (Barcodes, Us..)

V. jealous of Spurs' success with players. Kane - free. Ali - £5m, Trippier £3.5m, Winks - free, Rose -£1m. Vertonghen £10m , Alder £11.5m.

Ps. Never new NFL pitches were so much narrower.

You are right. Excluding the additional revenue from hospitality and catering, an extra 25000 STs at, lets say an average of £800, = only £20m per year. Hardly enough to take them or any other club to the next level even if they maintain their excellent recruitment record.
Westbourne Bill

Postby brooking10 on Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:05 pm

I think their average new season ticket price is a lot more than £800 Bill, and their existing 36000 will have to pay a lot more than they’re used to as well. There’s also bound to be a load of very expensive corporate seats bringing in a lot of extra revenue as well.

I think they suffered from being in Arsenal’s shadow for so long, and might have bitten off a bit more than they can chew to try and match them. No matter how much they upgrade the area and transport links, they need success to make it a success. Big risk in my opinion, but full credit to them for staying on the same site.
brooking10

Postby Modern on Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:24 pm

I think the naming rights were supposed to be the big income stream.

http://stadiumdb.com/news/2018/02/engla ... ghts_worth

We don’t seem to have a deal yet, much like the OS no one seems that bothered about sticking their name on the side.
Modern

Postby Jon on Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:28 pm

Arsenal have stagnated since increasing capacity by 20k+
Jon

Postby Lt. Discussion on Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:13 pm

I personally thought WHL was an excellent stadium, especially with the shelf, but even after that went I thought it was tidy. Feel a bit dirty saying that but just my opinion
Lt. Discussion

Postby likemydreams on Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:23 pm

Highbury was my favourite old skool stadium, a bigger version of upton park in many ways
likemydreams

Postby thewhirlwind on Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:41 pm

These huge stadiums are very over rated imo.
Look impressive from a distance but give me a small ground where you can actually see what's going on any day.
thewhirlwind

Postby Lt. Discussion on Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:25 pm

Good point whirlwind. Loftus Road remains one of my all time favourites.

Sad thing is after our move I think a trip to selhurst park is a treat
Lt. Discussion

Postby IronworksDave on Wed Oct 31, 2018 3:27 am

thewhirlwind wrote:These huge stadiums are very over rated imo.
Look impressive from a distance but give me a small ground where you can actually see what's going on any day.

I think there's a danger of missing the point ... football is played at an EPL stadium on just 30 odd days a year ... that means the stadium is 'wasted' for 335 days a year ... the whole idea of building a multi-use stadium is to use some of those available 335 days ...

If football can generate 100m stadium income (the Emirtaes does) then having 2 NFL games, 5 Boxing matches, a dozen concerts, some monster trucks, and **** knows what else ... could generate another 100m ... now that is some serious money ...

To do that you need a stadium designed for multi-use, with a seperate surface, with masses of hospitality, and based in a major city ....

Does the new Spurs pile do all that? quite probably it does .....
IronworksDave

Postby Colours never run on Wed Oct 31, 2018 4:04 am

IronworksDave wrote: are we sure we can take the piss out of a six month delay?

Too ****ing right we should and I have! :D
In fact, as honourary Hammers, it's all our duty too. Have the weirdos managed to install the creepy 2-way haunted mirrors yet?

And it's great cos some of their fans I've been winding up recently are predictably sulking that they can't get to play in their new NFL franchise stadium. That's if the Electrics finally work.. :lol:
Colours never run

Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"

Postby delbert on Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:35 am

I know it's The Sun from September but it confirms what a Spurs supporting mate has told me:

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/7235199/ ... tottenham/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

One of the hold ups concerns rushing to fit some cabling only for them to fit the wrong type, amongst a few others.........
delbert

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion