Domingos Quina?

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Re: Domingos Quina?

Postby Ozza on Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:47 am

somerset-hammer wrote:The only people wasting these young lads careers, appears to be their agents.

Some of these ***** see young players as nothing more than cash cows.

Sometimes kids with early talent don't go on to make the grade at the top level, the history of the game is littered with it
Ozza

Postby thejackhammer on Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:52 am

The only negative I’ve seen about Oxford is when Jaap Stam said he wasn’t playing for Reading because he was ridiculously unfit.

But that probably says more about our training regimes around that time than about Oxford.
thejackhammer

Postby Ozza on Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:54 am

thejackhammer wrote:The only negative I’ve seen about Oxford is when Jaap Stam said he wasn’t playing for Reading because he was ridiculously unfit.

But that probably says more about our training regimes around that time than about Oxford.

yup it was a kicker for Slav wasn't it?
Ozza

Postby somerset-hammer on Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:56 am

Ozza wrote:
Sometimes kids with early talent don't go on to make the grade at the top level, the history of the game is littered with it

Very true, just can't help but feel Quina and Oxford in particular, have been poorly advised.
somerset-hammer

Postby Ozza on Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:00 am

Especially Quina I think, Oxford's issue is not playing first team football, not sure that's down to the agent, unless it's the agent and not the club finding him clubs to go to?

My gut feeling based on nothing, tells me Quina will go on to have a great, top career, Oxford will be Championship level
Ozza

Postby HarlowEssexHammer on Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:07 am

Was at the Emirates last season for the LC quarter final in which he played almost the entire game against their reserves, and was completely out of his depth/lightweight.

Surprised to see him linked with Barcelona as much as he has been, there's obviously something they've seen in him for Portugal's U19s this summer that we haven't yet.
HarlowEssexHammer

Postby somerset-hammer on Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:08 am

When you look at the paths both Rice and Oxford's careers have taking since breaking into our first team, I think you could be right about Oxford, maybe Rice wants it more and as result works a lot harder to achieve it.

I doubt there was a lot between them a year or two ago but Rice has left Oxford behind now.

As for Quina, I too think he'll be a decent player, Barcelona don't sniff around if they don't see potential there.
somerset-hammer

Postby Ozza on Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:09 am

HarlowEssexHammer wrote:Was at the Emirates last season for the LC quarter final in which he played almost the entire game against their reserves, and was completely out of his depth/lightweight.

Surprised to see him linked with Barcelona as much as he has been, there's obviously something they've seen in him for Portugal's U19s this summer that we haven't yet.

what was the age group bud? he's 18 seems to be doing well against others in his age group, but defo struggling physically in older groups
Ozza

Postby BromleyHammer on Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:11 am

As with anything like this, if the player was good enough to start in the Premier League or come on as a sub, they would be playing every week for us. It may be that they are deemed "not ready" or the agent is doing his best to get more money for his client.
BromleyHammer

Postby sendô on Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:03 am

The things newspapers and agents come out with.

Apparently he's a "wonderkid" and Barcelona want him.

He's been with us 3 seasons and has only featured in the cups a couple of times.

He may be good enough, he may not. We will find out in due course.

Agents are a scourge on the game and do far more damage than good. They only exist to extract money from players and clubs and seem to care little about players careers.
sendô

Postby OohAahButler on Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:15 am

I honestly think a lot of it is down to luck and timing. Rice got his break with the first team when we had lots of injuries in his position, and got enough of a run of games to grow into the role - despite the odd mistake (inevitable for a kid his age).

Oxford followed one stellar appearance with a couple of poor ones, got torn a new one by Lukaku, and was set aside. I think if he had been given just a few mor games at the time he would have established himself - the ability is there.

Problem for Quina is that I just can’t see him getting his opportunity with our current options in his position this season. There’s no point in putting him out on loan and letting him run down his contract. So we really may as well sell him now for whatever we can get. Best for him too.
OohAahButler

Postby Ozza on Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:18 am

somerset-hammer wrote:When you look at the paths both Rice and Oxford's careers have taking since breaking into our first team, I think you could be right about Oxford, maybe Rice wants it more and as result works a lot harder to achieve it.

I doubt there was a lot between them a year or two ago but Rice has left Oxford behind now.

As for Quina, I too think he'll be a decent player, Barcelona don't sniff around if they don't see potential there.

Might be physical as much as anything else mate, Rice looks like a beast for his age, and much more equipped for the Premier League, Oxford not so much, I doubt it's a skill issue with Oxford
Ozza

Postby Jedi Al Khalaas on Tue Aug 07, 2018 12:17 pm

Ddint someone say that oxford has bulked out a bit?
Jedi Al Khalaas
Shut that door ...

Postby Cockneyboy311 on Tue Aug 07, 2018 1:06 pm

What annoys me is if we do sell them we'll probably do so cheaply, and not have any clauses in the deal, such a percentage of any sell on fee or a first refusal buy back option.
Cockneyboy311

Postby GaryP on Tue Aug 07, 2018 1:13 pm

Then bloke left Chelsea as he didn't have the fight for a place and his ****hole agent probably got a bundle for getting him to sign for us. Not prepared to stay and fight here, ****hole agent looking to move him on.

See the pattern ?

Dump the agent and grow a set.
GaryP

Postby Hammersfaniow on Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:30 pm

So after all the talk of Barca, he ended up at Watford. He’s probably on a bigger deal and it was agents work at its finest to get him that deal. Hopefully a reasonable fee received and a sell on clause in there too
Hammersfaniow

Postby fmgod on Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:29 am

He will never play at Watford, I'm just glad he's gone so all the stupid stories stop. No doubt his agent will be screaming for a new club or new contract in a years time.
fmgod

Postby GaryP on Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:53 am

If the club had an ounce of sense, don't sign a player with that prick Ward, warn all your young players about he ****'s up careers, and if your player chooses to sign with him afterwards.. look to ship them out.
GaryP

Postby Ozza on Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:54 am

fmgod wrote:He will never play at Watford, I'm just glad he's gone so all the stupid stories stop. No doubt his agent will be screaming for a new club or new contract in a years time.

I think you’re wrong there...

Anyway just seen his interview on SSN he says he’s moved to Watford as he needs to be playing first team football, so I suppose we’ll see
Ozza

Postby Crouchend_Hammer on Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:32 am

I expect he will be sent out on loan to one of those clubs the Watford owners have links with
Crouchend_Hammer

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion