Summer Transfer Window - The Verdict

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Re: Summer Transfer Window - The Verdict

Postby miles on Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:30 am

Allardyce wrote: "All I can say Dave if you’re watching, I wish you’d done it for me”

What, appointed Ginger Secombe as Sporting Director you mean. Shut up, Fatty. :scarfer:
miles
This site...

Postby Ozza on Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:32 am

I wonder if all if sudden Big sam is free of any legal constraints, TS yesterday, Sky today never heard him get stuck into Sully so much
Ozza

Postby jastons on Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:32 am

Allardyce and Billic could both have got us to the champions league if they were given an extra £50m to spend. Hopefully MP can get us to fourth this season. :crest:
jastons

Postby davids cross on Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:34 am

IG8Hammer wrote:Paul Merson rated our window as an "A" on SkySports.

I like Paul.

Laughs at himself, knows he's not the brightest bulb hiding in the cupboard. He's entertaining............And I rather admire him for the way he faces his own demons, both now and down the years.

He's an idiot but basically a good man. And a nice man I think. And has forged a half decent career at Sky. You actually miss him if he is not on the panel.

However, his "A" grade has not increased my confidence at all........Image
davids cross

Postby Peaches on Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:36 am

I think it was an excellent transfer window. I think we have added quality, and more importantly we have built the squad in line with the way Pellegrini (and almost anyone associated with West Ham) wants to play football. We’ve generally brought in younger players. We still have a few areas that need strengthening, but Rome wasn’t built in a day. We can still use a younger left back, younger strikers and a big upgrade in defensive midfield, but we are much better than we were last year.
Peaches

Postby Smonnie on Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:38 am

Any links to the Allardyce comments?

Transfer window wise, we had a belter but I hope we'll be scouting for a couple of more long-term midfielders, and possibly another centre back.

I'd like to see us lining up deals during the year, rather than scrabbling during the window. A couple of new players joining on 1st Jan would show great intent.
Smonnie

Postby Bernie_Lama on Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:46 am

a great window. well done the board. first step of a long road to reconciliation with the fans.

We were never going to get it all done in one window. So there are still concerns over centre midfield and defence but it's now up to MP to work with what he's got and bed them in as quickly as possible.

Then us the fans. To be patient. I'll be giving it 12 games before making any judgements.

Roll on Sunday :crest:
Bernie_Lama

Postby somerset-hammer on Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:59 am

As positive as it has been, we need to make sure the next 3-4 summers follow the same trend, maybe not in terms of quantity, but definitely in terms of adding quality, for the positions we need.

If they think that's job done and put their feet up, we will be in the same position we were in May, in a few years time, not continuing to improve the first team/squad, will make this one good window count for nothing.

Steady continued improvement, will save them from having to overhaul the squad every 3 years, and will most probably save them money, too.

Time will tell, of course.
somerset-hammer

Postby iLoveLasagne on Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:00 am

simonirons wrote:I’m equally as surprised by the outgoings. - honestly didn’t expect to see snoddgrass, Antonio, Byram and Hernandez still here.

I expect quite a few heads will be moved on in January once the manager starts to figure out he’s best team/backup.

Who would of thought after 4 years on not having a right back we now have 3.

I think this is the symptom of English clubs now being richer. Players are on vastly inflated contracts and unless they perform they become economically unattractive to other English clubs and out of reach for many European clubs. The homegrown quota also gives a new dimension and that premium is also included now. Could we end up seeing more situations like that of QPR in the future? Fulham are going all in it seems.
iLoveLasagne

Postby sendô on Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:44 am

Good overall with lots of quality incomings and the few outgoings all being players that are surplus to requirements.

I still feel we're a bit light in centre mid but I guess that depends on how Rice is utilised and if he steps up like we hope.

On paper we're easily good enough for top 10, and perhaps higher. A lot will depend on how they gel together, and of course how we fair with the age old West Ham problem of injuries.
sendô

Postby spod on Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:57 am

I do feel this has been a good window, but I want to sound a note of caution, because I'm an eternal pessimist and - yes - no fun at parties.

A lot of these players we've signed were not really known to me before we went in for them. Balbuena and Diop especially, but also Anderson and even Sanchez.

There seem to be three main reasons people are happy with this window. The number of players we've signed, the money we've spent and the Pellegrini factor.

First off, we've signed 10 players - and more on loan - very recently. It was a fiasco.

Regarding the money, it's an old axiom that it doesn't matter what you spend on a player. It's only about what they bring to the team.

Then the Pellegrini factor. I do trust him, but what if it turned out he's over the hill now?

As an exercise, just imagine all our signings as though we'd paid much less for them, and it was Bilic who signed them. In that scenario, how many of them would you feel really, really confident about?
spod

Postby bowltorious on Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:58 am

A good window. My starting 11:

--------------------------Adrian
Fredericks-----Rice-----Ogbonna-----Cresswell
----------------Sanchez-------Noble
-------------------------Wilshere
Yarmolenko----------------------------Anderson
-------------------------Arnautovic

Obviously plenty of options to rotate which makes a change from having 6 kids on the bench like last season.
Perez, Obiang, Antonio, Hernandez, Masuaku and the defenders to get plenty of minutes
bowltorious

Postby Derby Hammer on Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:15 pm

Smonnie wrote:Any links to the Allardyce comments?

Not sure, but I heard him say them live on Sky Sports News last night.
Last edited by Derby Hammer on Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Derby Hammer

Postby Aceface on Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:35 pm

Smonnie wrote:Any links to the Allardyce comments?

The Rotund one was on the telly

https://twitter.com/SkySportsNews/statu ... 5233491969

https://twitter.com/whufc_news/status/1 ... 8667187201
Aceface

Postby wizzo_66 on Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:43 pm

Sour grapes from Sam but ultimately there is a legitimate issue with the fact we were 3rd on Christmas day 2014, and then failed to invest anything in January 2015.

The club of course did the same to Bilic in January 2016.

Two seasons running we had huge opportunities to finish in the top 4 and the owners turned their back on it.
wizzo_66

Postby Korea Hammer on Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:55 pm

All sounded fair enough to me.
Korea Hammer

Postby YorksHammer on Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:58 pm

wizzo_66 wrote:Sour grapes from Sam but ultimately there is a legitimate issue with the fact we were 3rd on Christmas day 2014, and then failed to invest anything in January 2015.

The club of course did the same to Bilic in January 2016.

Two seasons running we had huge opportunities to finish in the top 4 and the owners turned their back on it.

Those two situations both reminded me of the season that my hometown club Yeovil got into the Championship. Basically, the local talk was that they were just happy to be there, not planning to invest anything because they knew it wouldn't be sustainable to stay in the Championship regardless (ground too small, playing staff not really good enough, etc) so didn't invest a single penny in staying in the league, just a crop of free signings and loans, until the inevitable relegation down to their level (in this case, all the way back to League Two where they've since stayed).

Felt very much the same when we were pushing on the door of the top 4/6 recently - like the board had said 'well, we know what our level is really, if we spend money now we'll only make a loss in years to come, so we won't spend'.
YorksHammer

Postby hammerman11 on Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:03 pm

lets hope its different this time if we get into the top 4 around xmas.
hammerman11

Postby Turns to Stone on Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:04 pm

Our board have a habit of deciding that they don't want a manager, but then not sacking them until their contract runs out. Which inevitably means that Allardyce, Bilic and Moyes will all have a rubbish final window as they don't get given any money to spend and therefore have to prove their worth with one arm tied behind their back.

As for this window, I think in an attacking sense we've done really well. Yarmolenko, Wilshere, Fernandes, Perez are all established players with good track records (not always in the Prem).

Defensively, we've gambled a little, but Fabianski, Fredericks and Sanchez are all sensible signings and represent value for money. Diop and Balbuena worry me a little as one will have to play 30 games, if they both struggle to adapt then we could struggle.

One of the positives is Sanchez though. Not because he's fantastic, but Pellegrini got the board to bring in a boring player that they probably didn't want to buy.

As I say though, who knows what will happen this year, but I'd bet my last rolo on the board eventually getting bored of Pellegrini and us having to deal with a summer transfer window when he doesn't get any of the players he wants and we just spend £12m on a striker from Preston (for example).

So to sum up....

"Come on you rip-roaring, goal-scoring IRONS"

and

"Sack the Board"
Turns to Stone

Postby ryanrc on Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:29 pm

it certainly seems like a great window but this will be seen in the context of the next 2 years. We need more than one good window to overhaul this squad into one for Pellegrini to do his work with. I suspect a couple will go before Jan (oxford, byram and maybe Antonio) and one or two quality players brought in.

Next summer we will need 4 first team players again, hopefully shooting high with the likes of maxi gomez again and a quality young gk.
ryanrc

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion