Summer Transfer Window - The Verdict

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Re: Summer Transfer Window - The Verdict

Postby damiant on Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:51 am

I think the squad has been strengthened beyond imagination.
I'm not worried about DM short comings.
We actually now have competition for places, you watch now how some of our playing staff find a couple of extra gears that they didn't have before. I bet a few are a bit nervous for the January window in case they are outed COYI :crest:
damiant

Postby Colours never run on Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:37 am

hammerman11 wrote:
we finally have pace all over the side

COYI

In big flashing neon lights! It's gonna make such a difference. But not only that, we've seriously upped the quality in some positions too ie passing/keeping possession.
Colours never run

Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"

Postby Ozza on Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:49 am

Yup decent window but it seriously needed to be, I’m worried about CB area and our shocking injury tecords.

Anyway it’s done so it’s over to the manager now
Ozza

Postby Westbourne Bill on Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:53 am

With Byram still here, we actually have 3 xRBs and 1 x LB.
Westbourne Bill

Postby e17 on Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:54 am

Best window in 3 years

My one negative ned on all of this: looking at our opening fixtures, I’m hoping we as supporters can be patient if the signings take a while to gel and things don’t click after 2-3 games
e17

Postby simonirons on Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:46 am

I’m equally as surprised by the outgoings. - honestly didn’t expect to see snoddgrass, Antonio, Byram and Hernandez still here.

I expect quite a few heads will be moved on in January once the manager starts to figure out he’s best team/backup.

Who would of thought after 4 years on not having a right back we now have 3.
simonirons

Postby somerset-hammer on Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:46 am

e17 wrote:Best window in 3 years

My one negative ned on all of this: looking at our opening fixtures, I’m hoping we as supporters can be patient if the signings take a while to gel and things don’t click after 2-3 games

This!
somerset-hammer

Postby Shy Ted on Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:51 am

Ozza wrote:Yup decent window but it seriously needed to be, I’m worried about CB area and our shocking injury tecords.

Anyway it’s done so it’s over to the manager now

Carlos Sachez can also play as a Centre-Back.
Shy Ted

Postby EastBrisHammer on Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:53 am

e17 wrote:Best window in 3 years

I think it would have been worse if our opening fixtures were so called easier. Our team trying to gel while we get a 1-1 draw with Cardiff, 2-0 defeat to Palace and 2-1 defeat to Bournemouth. Imagine the reaction then.
EastBrisHammer

Postby IG8Hammer on Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:07 am

Paul Merson rated our window as an "A" on SkySports.

The best window I remember since we signed Tevez and Mascherano (without benefit of hindsight) I think,

I think the main issue we have is that a lot of other clubs we would usually hope to beat have also spent big, Everton, Wolves, Fulham, Leicester etc.

Looks like it's going to be an extremely interesting season.
IG8Hammer

Postby artlin on Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:07 am

My verdict. Excellent.

Well done to ALL at WHU.
artlin

Postby Aceface on Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:32 am

If you see it as part of an ongoing process then it was an excellent first stage in a necessary restructuring – I think the churlishness arises because they tend to have a big push when a new manager arrives and then shut up shop for the rest of their term.

So we currently resemble a donut – good bits all around but not much in the middle. I think 'defensive' midfielder is a misnomer – it's about being able to control the midfield and we're still far short of being able to do that. With Kouyate gone we've probably got the least athletic midfield in the league – Smokin' Joe Wilshere, couple of 30-somethings in Noble and Sanchez, Obiang and Rice. No pace, no goals, only moderately effective defensively. What they can all do is pass the ball with some degree of control so if they can make their tackles, link up the fullbacks and forwards – who do provide the pace and dynamism they might be lacking – and Pellegrini (and the better calibre of player around them) can wring an extra 5% out of their previous levels then we should be ok until it can be addressed.
Aceface

Postby Penfold711 on Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:47 am

A very good window all round both in our buying and also managing to retain our top players (although I wonder whether Lanzini would still be here if he hadn't been injured). I do question whether this was all part of some long-term plan or whether the events at Burnley and our scrape with relegation have scared the board into taking action? I suspect the latter.
Penfold711

Postby Patito on Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:51 am

As per, a fair assessment, Ace. :thup:
Patito

Postby NW5hammer on Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:57 am

Certainly a good balanced window and so many players that I'm looking forward to seeing play:
Fredericks for his pace, Balbuena and Diop because I think they are potentially very stylish and effective defenders, Anderson, Yarmolenko, Perez for flair, Wilshire because he's such an enigma and has it all to prove, Rice because I think he's a massive prospect, even Sanchez, because I hope that finally we've some kind of brute force at DM, etc
Fascinating season ahead. Might well start shaky but I hope it gels with a quality coach at last.
NW5hammer

Postby yakandyeti on Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:12 am

I get the impression the poison dwarf always spends more the first window with a new manager. Maybe not to this degree, but this wasn’t really that much, especially considering how little he spent in the last few windows. If we buy next to nobody in January I’m not too bothered (unless there are glaring deficiencies in the squad) but we need another big window next year about £70m net spend in your hands of MP not himself for me to even think about dropping poison from the poison dwarf’s name. Do it three years in a row and I might begin to think he’s doing a good job. Hoping we’ll be sold by then anyway.
yakandyeti

Postby Arch Dandy on Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:16 am

The Manager has been backed with money and the players he wants, which is a great sign, as was keeping onto (the few) players we wouldn't want to lose.

However it will be a miracle if all the signings work out and big money flops are always harder to see.
Arch Dandy

Postby jacko on Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:22 am

Noble and Wilshire might not be athletic but we have pace around the side which should help with counter attacks. What we really need is the new players to settle as quickly as possible.

I think we did very good business. Although a lot of our new signings are unknowns in the premier league you simply have to take a punt and back the manager. At least they've seemed to have done that.
jacko

Postby Aceface on Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:26 am

Allardyce doing some actually-quite-funny ear-cupping toward the Daves:

“The Daves have done massive, they will be having headaches all over the place, he will be really worried, they have really gone to town. All I can say Dave if you’re watching, I wish you’d done it for me”
Aceface

Postby Aceface on Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:29 am

And this

“And we just hope that the manager’s choice is David’s [Sullivan], as he likes his own choices, and they all accumulate together and produce the sort of results West Ham are looking for.”
Aceface

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion