Carlos Sanchez

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Re: Carlos Sanchez

Postby Shy Ted on Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:48 am

He can also play Central Midfield and Centre-Back.

:scarfer:
Shy Ted

Postby funky chicken on Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:03 am

Patito wrote:Except we don't at all though do we? We've added Wilshere & Sanchez, plus Rice will predominantly play in a holding role too by all accounts.

Rice played midfield at the start of last season, as did Obiang and Noble. Remind me how we got on again?

Wilshere will play slightly more advanced, so not 100% central midfield. Not to mention won't improve our defensive frailties. And with his track record of injuries how do we know how often he will be available?

Sanchez will reserve my judgement. But jury is out after how bad he was at Villa. And will he walk into the team anyway?

Patito wrote:Who would you have signed instead? Diop is built like a house and Balbuena is nicknamed The General, they're not going to struggle with the physicality.

Preferably someone that has played in this country. I have mentioned plenty of times in the Summer Transfer Window thread who I would've targeted. Diop and Balbuena could turn out to be fantastic. But could equally turn out to be sh*t. But why take that risk on what was one of our weakest positions when you could've played it slightly more safer and sign someone that would guarantee to you defensively?

And are we really judging on them doing well just because of how they are ''built like a house'' :lol: by that logic perhaps we should give Titus Bramble a call.

To bring this thread back on topic, does anyone know the actual fee we paid for Sanchez? And what kind of wages he would be on? I don't believe I have seen this posted anywhere.
funky chicken

Postby Patito on Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:10 am

funky chicken wrote:
Rice played midfield at the start of last season, as did Obiang and Noble. Remind me how we got on again?

And what about the other 2 centre midfielders we signed?

funky chicken wrote:Wilshere will play slightly more advanced, so not 100% central midfield. Not to mention won't improve our defensive frailties. And with his track record of injuries how do we know how often he will be available?

No really he's a central midfielder whatever way you try and spin it. Holding onto the ball for more than 10 seconds at a time will help our defensive frailties. As will the coaching, the system, the holding midfielder we just signed, an improving Rice, the 2 centre backs we just signed and the goalie we just signed.

He's played nearly 70 games over the past 2 seasons so that should answer your last question...

funky chicken wrote:Sanchez will reserve my judgement. But jury is out after how bad he was at Villa. And will he walk into the team anyway?

No he won't walk into the team because we have a decent set of centre mids. Again, disproving your own point really.

funky chicken wrote:Preferably someone that has played in this country. I have mentioned plenty of times in the Summer Transfer Window thread who I would've targeted. Diop and Balbuena could turn out to be fantastic. But could equally turn out to be sh*t. But why take that risk on what was one of our weakest positions when you could've played it slightly more safer and sign someone that would guarantee to you defensively?

Players with Premier League experience come at a premium and are overpriced. Balbuena cost ca. £4million, who would we have got at that price with Premier League experience? You say they could be fantastic or ****, well why are you presuming they're going to be ****?

funky chicken wrote:And are we really judging on them doing well just because of how they are ''built like a house'' :lol: by that logic perhaps we should give Titus Bramble a call.

Well he certainly fits your criteria of "Premier League experience" so he must be good....
Patito

Postby ExeC on Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:24 am

It warms my heart that the signing of Sanchez excites a number of us with the prospect of crunching tackles on various number 10's that have come on to haunt us :)

The thought of some crazy lumbering tackle made 2 seconds too late does make me chuckle and brings back the feels of the "Repka red mist" which could rise at any time, this is the signing that will keep me on the edge of my seat!
ExeC

Postby WestHamIFC on Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:13 am

I look forward to him ending Pogba's career.

Really looking forward to seeing him crunch some players i dont like, James Mccarthy, Dele Ali and Pogba, purely because of the dab.

Sounds like a bit of a Norman Hunter/Chopper Harris player - dirty* ... Dirty Sanchez.

At least we have a defensive midfielder now he won't mind hacking someone down on the counter attack, rather then just letting them stroll past!

want a nasty ****** that we havent had since Kevin Nolan. We need a niggly pest.

It warms my heart that the signing of Sanchez excites a number of us with the prospect of crunching tackles on various number 10's that have come on to haunt us

The thought of some crazy lumbering tackle made 2 seconds too late does make me chuckle and brings back the feels of the "Repka red mist"

I do wonder why we didn’t just save a lot of time & hassle and make the call to Sunderland to sign Lee Cattermole? He’s 2 years younger than Sanchez and probably more technical ability. I also think he’ll be more vocal at motivating our remaining 10 players from the side-lines once he’s been sent off.

:P
WestHamIFC

Postby EllisWHU22 on Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:58 pm

To people saying sign premier league proven players it saves the risk.

Torres was premier league proven
Andre Ayew was
Joe Hart

It means nothing what league you come from, if you don't fit a system. creswell wasn't prem proven nor was payet or lanzini. The league they come from means nothing if they don't fit the system Signing an over prced prem defender isn't always the best option (Rigobert Song) Bramble?
EllisWHU22

Postby Cuenca 'ammer on Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:13 pm

Otamendi struggled at first
Lindelof has been in and out of the ManU side
both money signings with no prem previous and despite their big fees have not lived up to them'

However, for all of his experience John Stones has probably gone backwards. Laporte also has really struggled with form. no prev experience.

I honestly think that the jury is out on whether PL experience is a plus or a minus, but "generally it is felt preferable to have it rather than not."

p.s. Van Dijk came from the SPL and got a 75M move. For me he is better than than had (hell, I'd be better than they had) but worth 75M ? Nah..

Oggie had no previous PL and struggled here at first. I guess that one can find a player to prove one's argument either way...
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado

Postby Romford_Iron on Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:27 pm

If Pellergini thought Diop (and Sanchez to keep it on topic) were the better options out all of the players with Prem experience available for the same price, then that’s good enough for me :thup:
Romford_Iron

Postby Puff Daddy on Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:39 pm

Romford_Iron wrote:If Pellergini thought Diop (and Sanchez to keep it on topic) were the better options out all of the players with Prem experience available for the same price, then that’s good enough for me :thup:

Which is kinda what Edwards and the Man U owners told Mourinho, when he was asking for yet more funds to buy £65m priced Maguire and £50m for Alderweireld from Tottenham. They didn't think either were worth the prices asked, so told him bollox, work with what you've got and start developing our younger players. That will not sit well with Mourinho, so things will start to get a bit bumpy for him
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton

Postby Romford_Iron on Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:02 pm

Ah I just meant that at the time Pellergrini had the option of signing Mawson instead of Diop and saving £10mil as well, but he still chose Diop instead - and that’s good enough for me :thup:
Romford_Iron

Postby Ozza on Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:27 pm

Wages might have been a factor as well
Ozza

Postby EllisWHU22 on Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:39 pm

I have to say Patito. great deconstruction! :thup:
EllisWHU22

Postby poplargeezer on Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:07 pm

Hope they re-show 'Dirty Sanchez' in his honour.
poplargeezer

Postby Ozza on Sat Aug 25, 2018 4:50 pm

Thought he was great today, certainly made many of the comments on here look nothing short of hysterical
Ozza

Postby pezza20 on Sat Aug 25, 2018 4:58 pm

Had a very good game considering he was asked to cut the space down for two players.
pezza20

Postby smuts on Sat Aug 25, 2018 5:02 pm

Good game today. Get Obiang in there with him.
smuts

Postby WorcesterWHU on Sat Aug 25, 2018 5:05 pm

Slotted in very well. Kept it simple, moved it quickly, held the position nicely.
WorcesterWHU

Postby 61dicksey on Sat Aug 25, 2018 5:05 pm

Did exactly what was required and did it well , i like him , never looked like a red card waiting to happen .
Fed up with lur defending which is league one standard at times
61dicksey

Postby Patito on Sat Aug 25, 2018 5:11 pm

Finally a proper holding midfielder!
Patito

Postby mumbles87 on Sat Aug 25, 2018 5:18 pm

smuts wrote:Good game today. Get Obiang in there with him.

would that be instead of wilshere? because how else would obiang get in without moving Anderson away from number 10 where he played so well today

so pleased for sanchez to have a good game today. he has taken a lot of stick (villa fans called him the worst player in premier league history but if you look at the squad that took them down.... he wasn't even the worst in their team) answered a lot of it today and hopefully can do a good job for us
mumbles87

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion