Is this the strongest Premier League ever?

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Is this the strongest Premier League ever?

Postby HammerAl on Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:28 pm

The top 6 have all strengthened apart from Sp*rs (but they already had a good, young squad).

The "middle of the pack" teams, IE Everton, Leicester, Crystal Palace and West Ham have all improved their squads and will be looking to challenge for 7th.

Promoted teams Fulham and Wolves have spent massively and, on paper, look like they'll stay up comfortably. Brighton have also brought in some very good players and Burnley, although they won't be as good as last season, still look fairly solid.

Newcastle, Southampton and Watford have had disappointing windows but still have plenty of quality and wouldn't be surprised in the slightest if they finished mid-table.

One thing I've noticed this summer is that we haven't had many big names leave the league. Plenty of interest in some of the biggest stars, but no big departures from many (if any) of the teams in the league, with plenty of top drawer incomings.

Other than Cardiff, I wouldn't say there were any real weak links this season. Most clubs have two players for each position and the standard of management is pretty high. I've never known the PL to have SO many good players playing in it and I believe this season will be more competitive than ever.
HammerAl

Re: Is this the strongest Premier League ever?

Postby wizzo_66 on Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:31 pm

Quite the opposite, for me.

Spurs, Chelsea and Man Utd are all on the back foot and whilst that doesn't mean we will see some like Leicester win the league again, I think it opens the opportunity for some of the sides that have improved to steal some top half spots.
wizzo_66

Postby hammers92 on Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:33 pm

They'll be a thread asking if it's the worst for the 10th year running when City are 10 points clear at Christmas.

Nothing will change in the league, one team might, possibly, sneak into the top 6 at the expense of Tottenham.
hammers92

Postby ageing hammer on Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:34 pm

hammers92 wrote:They'll be a thread asking if it's the worst for the 10th year running when City are 10 points clear at Christmas.

Nothing will change in the league, one team might, possibly, sneak into the top 6 at the expense of Tottenham.

:scarfer: :crest: :scarfer:
ageing hammer

Postby fjthegrey on Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:38 pm

The elite teams are strong, you could make a case that they aren't quite as strong as previous seasons but it's open to debate.

The real strength comes when you see what the promoted teams have got. OK, Cardiff haven't done anything, but Wolves and Fulham have had transfer windows that would be ranked amongst our best ever on paper.

There are no bad teams in this league. There are relatively weaker teams, but every single side is good. No easy games.
fjthegrey

Postby HammerAl on Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:38 pm

I don't think anything will necessarily change. I was more just stating how there seems like more of a strength in depth this season. I don't think anyone will challenge City or Liverpool at the top, but if you look at the quality and strength of the PL as a whole compared to other big leagues in Europe, we have many, many good teams and many, many good players.
HammerAl

Postby Puff Daddy on Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:39 pm

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Which is why it is the best league the world and is also the reason why most players want to play here. You can never say with complete conviction the result of any fixture is a forgone conclusion. What finally convinced me of this, is an opening fixture last season, when Burnley, who didn't win an away match the year before last, turned up at the home of the Premier League Champions. Chelsea and were 3-0 up at half time. Although Chelsea nearly turned it around in the second half, it was too much
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton

Postby HammerAl on Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:39 pm

fjthegrey wrote:The elite teams are strong, you could make a case that they aren't quite as strong as previous seasons but it's open to debate.

The real strength comes when you see what the promoted teams have got. OK, Cardiff haven't done anything, but Wolves and Fulham have had transfer windows that would be ranked amongst our best ever on paper.

There are no bad teams in this league. There are relatively weaker teams, but every single side is good. No easy games.

That's exactly what I was trying to say. I don't think anything will change with the top 4/6 this season, but the rest of the squads, other than Cardiff, look very good and competitive to me.
HammerAl

Postby Aceface on Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:40 pm

hammers92 wrote:They'll be a thread asking if it's the worst for the 10th year running when City are 10 points clear at Christmas.

It depends on what the definition of 'strongest' is in relation to a league. There are people who said it was weak because Leicester managed to win it and we nearly sneaked into the top 4, and there are people who say it's weak when City wins it by plenty and the big clubs take their usual positions.

It will be interesting to see if the firehose of money results in more of a midtable taking shape this season. Last year was unusual in that it was essentially 6 clubs and then a cliff.
Aceface

Postby sendô on Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:44 pm

Strongest overall league? Yes most probably, the mid to lower teams in the PL are so much better than the other big 5 leagues.

Strongest at the top? It baffles me how Man Utd, a team that is regularly at the very top of the richest teams in the world, are so consistently so far behind the other biggest teams, Real, Barca, Bayern, Juve, PSG et al.

Chelsea seem to be stagnating, Spurs don't have the strength in depth, Arsenal have been going backwards, and Man City always seem to struggle in the CL. Only Liverpool have really improved under Klopp.
sendô

Postby spod on Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:47 pm

It's the wages, isn't it?
Perez on £90,000+ a week?
Not so long ago, we had no-one on that wage. Then there was Carroll, then Hernandez.
It seems even average Premier League clubs can afford almost limitless wages.
How much are Everton paying Bernard?
How much are Palace paying Meyer?

The Premier League is a sponge, sucking in all the talent.
Much as I know I should hate it, I'm actually pretty excited about the coming season.
spod

Postby Aceface on Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:51 pm

Puff Daddy wrote:What finally convinced me of this, is an opening fixture last season, when Burnley, who didn't win an away match the year before last, turned up at the home of the Premier League Champions. Chelsea and were 3-0 up at half time.

Funny you mention this. Curious to know the correlation of teams winning their opening fixture over stronger opponents and then going on to have an unusually strong season. Really it shouldn't have much of a correlation because bigger clubs tend to rest tournament players and are likely more susceptible to a wobble early doors, but it does seem to have some impact.

Obviously we did it at the Emirates. Burnley did it last year, West Brom started that season where they spent a most of it in third place by winning 3-zip over Liverpool. Newcastle got a point against Arsenal in their 5th placed season.

Certainly doesn't look like it hurts...
Aceface

Postby HammerAl on Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:04 pm

Definitely the wages, spod.

It'd be interesting to see how our top 4 would get on in the other leagues over a 34-38 game season. Teams from the other leagues can focus on the Champions League a lot more as the standard of their league are not as high as ours. PSG can go away with their B team and win 4-0 in their league. Madrid won the Champions League last season but were someway off Barcelona in the league and they wouldn't have won the PL last season if they were in it.
HammerAl

Postby DDHammer on Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:08 pm

Burnley just finished comfortably 7th and miles away from the top 6.

Other leagues are continually under valued and the Prem mid-table over hyped, I reckon as soon as Burnley meet the other Europa League qualifiers from Italy, Spain, Germany and France they'll be shown up like Everton were.

We've got loads of bang average teams in the Prem, it's just the amount of wages and transfer fee's we get mugged off for that makes it look better than it is.
DDHammer

Postby Patito on Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:11 pm

DDHammer wrote:Other leagues are continually under valued and the Prem mid-table over hyped,

I find it's the other way around personally.

The likes of Eibar and Girona got top 10 in La Liga.
Patito

Postby wasserburg_hammer on Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:38 pm

DDHammer wrote:Other leagues are continually under valued and the Prem mid-table over hyped

Fully agree with that. What the Premier League lacks in finesse and tactics it makes up in physicality.
wasserburg_hammer

Postby Puff Daddy on Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:09 pm

wasserburg_hammer wrote:

Fully agree with that. What the Premier League lacks in finesse and tactics it makes up in physicality.

and entertainment. Sure there is the odd crap match, but overall, nobody can deny it is not entertaining
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton

Postby carnage on Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:24 pm

wizzo_66 wrote:Quite the opposite, for me.

Spurs, Chelsea and Man Utd are all on the back foot and whilst that doesn't mean we will see some like Leicester win the league again, I think it opens the opportunity for some of the sides that have improved to steal some top half spots.

Every team bar Spurs is stronger. How is this the weakest ever? Mind you, it’s been said it’s the weakest on here for the last 20 years.
carnage

Postby bubbles1966 on Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:40 pm

Not all the teams in the league are stronger than last year.

Leicester have lost Mahrez, Palace lost loftus cheek, Watford lost Richarlison.

Spurs, as well as not spending, now have several 30-31 year old players all in contract rundown - alderwereld, vertonghen, dembele..... while others have disgruntled managers who will walk out and into a new gig in a new team.

In terms of making the league more competitive, teams 7-20 have to do far better against teams 1-6 especially when playing away from home.

The top clubs amass a huge proportion of their points by beating up the also-rans. Liverpool won only 3 times in 14 games against the top 8 last year. :o
bubbles1966

Location: It's December.....time to forget the serious things...merry Xmas all

Postby wasserburg_hammer on Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:50 pm

Puff Daddy wrote:and entertainment. Sure there is the odd crap match, but overall, nobody can deny it is not entertaining

Damn ****ing right :thup:
wasserburg_hammer

Next

Return to General Discussion