Is this the strongest Premier League ever?

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Re: Is this the strongest Premier League ever?

Postby Awooga_Iron on Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:35 pm

I guess if there is a small gap between top and bottom, then we could say it's the most even. It may prove to be strong if English teams dominate one or both both European cups. Otherwise, it's arguably just inflation of wages due to TV revenue that keep players we think are good.

*edit* but I bloody love it!
Awooga_Iron

Postby Crouchend_Hammer on Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:42 pm

Awooga_Iron wrote:I guess if there is a small gap between top and bottom, then we could say it's the most even. It may prove to be strong if English teams dominate one or both both European cups. Otherwise, it's arguably just inflation of wages due to TV revenue that keep players we think are good.

Only three clubs in Europe have consistently dominated the Champions League in past five years or so - Real, Barcelona and Bayern. However, that does not mean the SPanish League and German Leagues are better overall

Last year indicated a revival of sorts for English clubs in Europe, after an iffy 2-3 years

Of course we will never know for sure, but if there was some kind of tournament that pitted all the 1st v 1st, 2nd v 2nd, 3rd v 3rd etc all the way down the league, then IMHO the English league would come out on top
Crouchend_Hammer

Postby Awooga_Iron on Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:51 pm

Crouchend_Hammer wrote:Of course we will never know for sure, but if there was some kind of tournament that pitted all the 1st v 1st, 2nd v 2nd, 3rd v 3rd etc all the way down the league, then IMHO the English league would come out on top

True, or if this season's teams could play last season's teams!

I suppose, as other's have said, any team can beat any other in the prem. The more that is true, the harder it is to perform consistently for any team (especially the winners), so perhaps the better the league is.
Awooga_Iron

Postby jacko on Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:31 pm

How can it be? The best players in the world don't play here.
jacko

Postby ToiletDuck on Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:44 pm

The top four are all getting closer
5-8 or even 5-10 is going to be a belter
13-20 still close
(11-12 are for the two teams that kinda bimble along like charlton back in the 90's)
ToiletDuck

Postby Crouchend_Hammer on Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:46 pm

The very very best are mostly concentrated on about three clubs - Real, Barca and PSG.

Still doesn't mean their respective league's are stronger.

The top clubs in England have their fair share of elite level players
Crouchend_Hammer

Postby Billydinho on Sat Aug 11, 2018 12:14 am

I believe it is which is why I think Cardiff are going to go down with a record low points tally.

More than likely Huddersfield will follow so I make it one place between about half a dozen teams (never ruling out West Ham) with Southampton and Watford as the front runners.

On the flip side, you could argue it's the weakest league ever as anyone between 7th and 20th could go.
Where's the competition?
Billydinho

Postby carnage on Sat Aug 11, 2018 5:42 am

Why does the fact anyone from 7th to 20th could get relegated make it a weak league?
carnage

Postby dodger on Sat Aug 11, 2018 5:47 am

Billydinho wrote:I believe it is which is why I think Cardiff are going to go down with a record low points tally.

Nah they’ll get to 20 points at least purely on the strength of Warnock’s moaning at refs. Agree they’ll finish comfortably bottom though.
dodger

Location: Scotland / London / Japan / somewhere in between the 3

Postby hammerman11 on Sat Aug 11, 2018 5:59 am

best players in the world do not play here

messi, Ronaldo,grieseman,n`bappe, Neymar, cavano, suarez, neur etc

but we do have de byrne, auguero, kante, mane, salah, lukaku, de gea, silve, Allison, Chelsea GK, hazard

so the real top superstars are not here but we have a lot of very good players in our league. most exciting for sure it is.

german football is best for atmosphere though
hammerman11

Postby carnage on Sat Aug 11, 2018 6:22 am

jacko wrote:How can it be? The best players in the world don't play here.

There are two elite clubs in Spain, one in France, one in Germany and one in Italy. Take them out of their leagues and the league is very weak.
carnage

Postby hammerman11 on Sat Aug 11, 2018 7:26 am

as I said its the most exciting league for sure.

teams who could win it man city Liverpool man utd Chelsea

battling for top 6 spurs arsenal everton west ham (hopefully)
hammerman11

Postby Rays Rock on Sat Aug 11, 2018 7:49 am

I don’t deny that it’s possibly the most entertaining of the bunch, but already i’m becoming seriously fffed off with the same mainstream media clamour to talk about the top 4 or 6 now it seems !
Most web pages or radio shows asking the same boring question to the same old pundits “whose your top 6, and in which order ?” really ? please bore off now !
Why the top 6 ? what sort of achievement is 2nd to 6th anyway !

Usually the most entertaining and gripping point of the season is easily the relegation battle.
Rays Rock

Postby buffybegood on Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:24 am

I think if the Premier League played La Liga, or any of the other European Leagues, 1 v 1 (ie 1st v 1st, 2nd v 2nd etc), the Premier League would definitely come out on top; there is undoubtedly much more strength in depth in the Premier League than any other league in the world.
buffybegood

Previous

Return to General Discussion