Mark Noble: Evening Standard

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Re: Mark Noble: Evening Standard

Postby simonirons on Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:32 pm

jacko wrote:I'm not sure the manager is soley responsible for pre-season friendly, are they?

Agreed, especially comments about hotels, WiFi etc. - like he says. - minor things but still make it comfortable for the players.
simonirons

Postby Believer on Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:33 pm

jacko wrote:I'm not sure the manager is soley responsible for pre-season friendly, are they?

I think that rather than popping out Slav, he is in effect having a dig at the board. Let's not forget his now infamous speech about us no longer being run like a circus. I'd say that his chosen words there are in effect slagging the board for allowing us to be precisely that last season. He then effectively backs all that has changed from top to bottom this season.

Let's not be fooled. The board have been getting away with mugging off us, managers and players for too long. MP clearly won't suffer amateur owners. He wants something and it looks like he tends to get it.

Good article - I like it :thup:
Believer

Postby Ding on Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:33 pm

The captain does nothing here but confirm what was already apparent to anyone not romanticising Bilic. The team was unfit, ill-disciplined and under-preparesd under him. Moyes changed that when he came in and kept us up by the skin of our teeth.
Ding

Postby Romford_Iron on Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:54 pm

Is it negative about last season, or positive about this one?

I suppose that depends how far your toungue was up Bilic’s arse, or how pissed off you are at Noble for the Burnley game.

I personally don’t see anything wrong with what he said. He’s just compared this pre-season to last years. Everyone noticed the change in our fitness levels once Moyes took over. He could have said we were unlucky under Bilic, but then he’d be lying.
Romford_Iron

Postby Cuenca 'ammer on Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:57 pm

Moyes still out of work ?

Ironing Board not campaigning on fan forums all over the country ??

8-)
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado

Postby ballantine on Sat Aug 11, 2018 12:40 am

Hugh Jargon II wrote:I don’t like it. He could have been positive but didn’t need to compare to last season. Nasty stuff.

I love him. That's based on him being a local lad and a one club player, which is more than enough for me. But, yes, he does regularly come around as s suck up to whoever is in charge at any time.
ballantine

Postby M*A*R*C on Sat Aug 11, 2018 4:06 am

Vienna wrote:He doesn't like to blame anyone, but literally slams Bilic, not good Imo and I love Nobes.

Actually, he literally doesn't slam Bilic.

Unless you think the manager is responsible for arranging friendlies and training facilities.
M*A*R*C

Postby hammerman11 on Sat Aug 11, 2018 5:54 am

would have been better if he kept quiet. Maybe say something after the season has ended hopefully positively. a lack of class by nobes. keep the mouth closed and do the business on the puitch should be the motto !
hammerman11

Postby Bonzos4Lagers on Sat Aug 11, 2018 6:11 am

Nobes just telling it the way it is.

This is an attack on Bilic = the glass is half empty.

This is a compliment to MP and his staff = the glass is half full.

On the eve of a new season our skipper is an optimist about what he's seen in the last few weeks. I'm excited and share in his optimism. Why wouldn't any supporter do the same?

:scarfer: COYI!
Bonzos4Lagers

Postby Ozza on Sat Aug 11, 2018 6:36 am

I think it’s difficult to know and understand what went on with bilic, I certainly don’t think it’s as simple as it seems.
Ozza

Postby hammerman11 on Sat Aug 11, 2018 6:53 am

would have been better to forget the past and focus on the future. he didn't need to do that. what good does it do.

concentrate and talk about the new manager and hopes etc for this season is fine.

time for noble to do his talking on the pitch or else he will lose his place.
hammerman11

Postby James P on Sat Aug 11, 2018 7:13 am

I think what Noble is basically saying is that this club ain’t run like a circus no more.
James P

Postby Ozza on Sat Aug 11, 2018 7:20 am

James P wrote:I think what Noble is basically saying is that this club ain’t run like a circus no more.

I’m pretty sure he’s said that before
Ozza

Postby hammerman11 on Sat Aug 11, 2018 7:22 am

exactly needs to shut up and get on with performing on the pitch. if he doesn't I think pelle will drop him.

new captain on pitch from ogbonna or arnie. arnie for me
hammerman11

Postby Patito on Sat Aug 11, 2018 7:23 am

Read the article, he is mainly focusing on the present/future, it’s overall a very positive article.
Patito

Postby hammerman11 on Sat Aug 11, 2018 7:27 am

I have but find noble over does the talking not just this time but many times in the past. plus there was no need to bundle over the fan at the burnley protest. compare ginge pele`s actions to his.
hammerman11

Postby Westbourne Bill on Sat Aug 11, 2018 7:33 am

We were 20th for distances covered and sprints under Bilic last season and it took Moyes to sort it out. If there’s a stark difference to the two preseasons, I’m pleased to learn about it
Westbourne Bill

Postby Georgee Paris on Sat Aug 11, 2018 7:35 am

I think a few are perhaps reading a little too much into all this but it is their right. Personally I think everyone has a point. Perhaps it is a little clumsy and could be perceived as a dig at Bilic and his management but I’m not so sure it was - as suggested I read it as more of a compliment to Pellegrini and the change in approach. Also, I understand how some might see Noble as a bit brown nosed but surely that’s his job. He’s the middle man. Aren’t all captains a bit like the school prefects and class captains or head boys/girls at school? They were always the ones that had to speak on behalf of the ‘institute’ and were a bit ... well.. square, sad, nerdy...it’s hard to say it nicely as I’m sure quite a few on here were probably prefects/captains etc... and they probably thought that they were quite cool and respected...especially getting to lord it over the rest of the class...but in reality they are all pretty much a bit of a joke... (sorry mods - I bet a few of you were head boys tho 8-) )
Georgee Paris

Postby sendô on Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:03 am

West Ham in being two bob shocker.

It's not really anything we didn't already know deep down. Everything about how the club was under Bilic was not quite professional enough - and that's not all on Bilic.
sendô

Postby the pink palermo on Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:12 am

Georgee Paris wrote: Aren’t all captains a bit like the school prefects and class captains or head boys/girls at school?.....I’m sure quite a few on here were probably prefects/captains etc... and they probably thought that they were quite cool and respected...especially getting to lord it over the rest of the class...but in reality they are all pretty much a bit of a joke... (sorry mods - I bet a few of you were head boys tho)

:lol:

Of course Georgee , but you missed the bit about having your name up on the Board in Gold letters , forever, when you skippered the school at any sport- and we played all three at my school by the way .A bit like they do at Lords when you score a century.

For your detention I'm sending you to the Snug to start a thread on what you did at school - skipper, prefect, house captain, top of the form.

Meanwhile, back on topic.

I've been a frequent critic of the clubs Vice Chair for her writing a column in a National newspaper because it puts her in a position where she is commenting on either other clubs players and officials or worse still our own.

I'm taking the same view with our skippers column in the standard , it's ill advised that he does one, and I wonder if the VC is behind this - how can she be criticised when all she is doing is the same as the captain ?

Already we have a thread questioning whether it's right of him to point the finger at others, either explicitly or implicitly, as it leads to speculation as to who exactly he is criticising .My take on this particular column is he actually praising David Moyes, as it was he, and his team after all that undertook the preparation work for the pre season friendlies in terms of venues etc.

Generally though I think this column is a bad idea - and you won't find a bigger Noble fan on here - he really should just stick to his page in the matchday programme and do his talking on the pitch.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion