Manchester memories

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Manchester memories

Postby poplargeezer on Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:46 am

Just happen to be in Manchester for work and brought back memories of the Great Escape game with Tevez scoring. magnificent brave defending and we pulled off a miracle to avoid certain relegation.

We were magnificent in the stands outsinging 70,000 Mancs.
Good laugh as well. Remember some poor steward had black curly hair which prompted him being serenaded by a thousand fans with the Christian Dailly song

My youngest daughter, who was with me, described it as one of the best days of her life.

What;s your favourite Manchester memories?
poplargeezer

Re: Manchester memories

Postby Jumby on Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:49 am

Probably Di Canio scoring in the FA Cup to knock them out after they arrogantly chose not to take part in the competition the season before, to get beaten and humiliated in the terrible World Club Cup instead .
Jumby

Postby BondsoBob on Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:24 pm

Unfortunately the 6-0 cup defeat there with Gary Breen being tied up in a thousand knots is etched indelibly on my mind. :evil:
BondsoBob

Postby frankiemac 69 on Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:56 pm

August bank holiday 86,couple of weeks after the ferry violence,we beat them 3-2 with Frankie scoring the winner with a great header.
frankiemac 69

Postby We'll be back on Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:04 pm

City FA cup quarter final for me closely followed by great escape
We'll be back

Postby DaveWHU1964 on Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:12 pm

frankiemac 69 wrote:August bank holiday 86,couple of weeks after the ferry violence,we beat them 3-2 with Frankie scoring the winner with a great header.

They really weren't happy that day :) Lots of theirs giving us the slit throat sign. That's all I remember them doing though. Things I remember about that game was that back home it was a really warm day so many of us were in shirt sleeves. When we got up there it must have been 10 degrees cooler. That wasn't very nice. Also remember one of theirs (Clayton Blackmore?) smashing the bar at two all.

I've 'retired' from going up there twice. Firstly after the cup game - I didn't think it could get better than. Not just the win but half a dozen of us won enough on a one nil Di Canio bet to pay for the entire weekend. After all the beatings I'd seen us take up there I thought I'd finish on a high.

I meant that but obviously had to go once it was clear we needed something up there in 2006-7. The celebration after Tevez's goal was unbelievable - proper horizontal stuff. As the second half started the Mancs chanted "send them down" and I remember just feeling dread for much of that half. Job done though and I retired again. I'll never go back*

*Never say never.
DaveWHU1964

Postby One Peter Butler on Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:46 pm

Maine Road. Standing in the away end at one end of the Kippax. Days never to be seen again.
One Peter Butler

Postby Iron George on Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:14 pm

One Peter Butler wrote:Maine Road. Standing in the away end at one end of the Kippax. Days never to be seen again.

Agreed.

Maine Road was always a better day out than Old Trafford.
Iron George

Postby fmgod on Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:25 pm

First ever away game was 1-0 DI Canio, Barthez wave, FA Cup, travelling hours and hours with an orient supporting father who disliked West Ham. Getting stuck the other end as the home fans had smashed the coach and watching Bottom the tv series at a far too young age(they asked my dad if it was okay to show)
Last edited by fmgod on Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fmgod

Postby sutts07 on Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:29 pm

Di Canio goal is the stand out.

Remember getting beat 3-0 mid week and as the game drew to the end we were typically singing 'we're gonna win 4-3' and 'score in a minute'.

The PA system near the end of the game said that West Ham fans had to exit a certain way and walk towards the river etc...

Cue our whole section singing... SWIM IN A MINUTE...
sutts07

Postby Up the Junction on Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:41 pm

It has to be the post-PDC goal celebration that saw hundreds of fans cascade over the seats in wild celebration. Though the 06/07 "we are staying up" celebrations took some beating too.

The 6-0 defeat in between the two was pretty memorable too as I got booked for speeding on the way home, just to add insult to injury...
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place

Postby The Old Man of Storr on Sat Oct 13, 2018 3:02 pm

I only ever went to Old Trafford the once and that was back in 1969 , at least I got to see The Holy Trinity play - we got beat 5-2 and I still don't know for sure whether it was my second match or first !

I was 13 and quite nervous as I'd gone there with just another 13 year old mate and this guy who was suppose to look after us but he disappeared once we got to the ground and we had to make our own way back to the station and back to Bangor .
The Old Man of Storr

Return to General Discussion