Jan Transfer Window 18/19

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

sutts07
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 538 likes

Jan Transfer Window 18/19

Post by sutts07 »

Pellegrini has played down specific suggestions but did say...
“You can talk about five, six or seven players that are linked with us. We must not talk about one player.
So... that gives us just cause for a transfer thread...
Who are the five, six or seven players that we must talk about??

I'd say that for the first time in a very long time, we will not be looking at CB's. In fact, I very much doubt we will look at RB or LB either in this window (despite needing upgrades in both areas).

DCM is looking less important as Rice grows into the role.

We are really short on quality out wide and up top...

Dzeko looks set to be the player that we talk about for months on end and never get close to signing this window...

According to TalkSport (I know...!)
The Hammers have been linked with the former Manchester City forward as we edge closer to the reopening of the transfer window.
Dzeko was superb again in the Champions League last night scoring two and setting one up with a knock down header, he is earning a reported €80,000 a week and has a contract running at Roma until June 2020 and they are pushing top four as well as looking set to advance in the Champions League... I really can't see him leaving them in Jan, let alone coming to us.
Last edited by sutts07 on Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Kev59
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 3 likes

Re: Jan Transfer Window 18/19

Post by Kev59 »

Think we might see more transferred out than in. Any of - Reid, Hernandez, Adrian, Carroll (please, God), Byram. I don't think any will come in unless we sell some of these first.
Knighter10WHU
Has liked: 155 likes
Total likes: 194 likes

Post by Knighter10WHU »

I think the squad is in reasonable shape at the moment to be honest. I could pick a decent 25 man squad for players who are at the club right now and not out on loan which is fairly balanced.

I know people will want to replace Sanchez and Yarmolenko given their long term injuries but what happens next season when everyone is back and we have too many players? Also have to take into account that just because Sanchez and Yarmolenko are injured doesn't mean their salaries stop.

The only position I think we are overly short in is centre forward. If/when Arnie gets injured we are in big trouble because we cannot rely on AC. Dzeko would be a superb signing if we can tempt him here.
HighWycombeHammer

Post by HighWycombeHammer »

There will not be a lot in January as its not the right time. Looking at us now I would go for another player mobile player in midfield. A bonus would be another Lanzini type of player.

More chance of the fringe players going.
sutts07

Post by sutts07 »

Carroll is an interesting one. I can't see anyone buying him in Jan, not even someone like Cardiff would risk their budget on him surely?

So... Do you trigger his two year extension and try to get him fit enough to sell..?
The risk being that you don't manage to sell him and end up paying him for another two years of sitting on his arse.

Or do you just hope he adds something to the squad for the next few months then call it a day at the end of the season?
The downside being that you have no return on possibly the biggest waste of money the club has ever seen in playing terms.
Last edited by sutts07 on Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Knighter10WHU
Has liked: 155 likes
Total likes: 194 likes

Post by Knighter10WHU »

sutts07 wrote:Carroll is an interesting one. I can't see anyone buying him in Jan, not even someone like Cardiff would risk their budget on him surely?

So... Do you trigger his two year extension and try to get him fit enough to sell..?
Or do you just hope he adds something to the squad for the next few months then call it a day at the end of the season?
I thought Carroll himself had an option to extend his stay for 2 more years so it might be out of our hands.
sutts07

Post by sutts07 »

Knighter10WHU wrote: I thought Carroll himself had an option to extend his stay for 2 more years so it might be out of our hands.
The option and decision sits with West Ham as far as I am aware.
Briggsy
Has liked: 11 likes
Total likes: 6 likes

Post by Briggsy »

I can't see Dzeko joining. Roma should be back into the top 4 by January and will probably get into the CL knock out stages. They won't want to sell him & he doesn't need the money.

We need a left back, defensive midfielder & an attacking player.
sutts07

Post by sutts07 »

Think it will be an interesting window personally...

Madrid are in desperate need of quality and will surely try to get Hazard. There are also a whole host of players out of contract in the summer who will be under pressure to either commit or move on...

Man Utd have De Gea, Martial. Herrara, Mata, Smalling, Darmian, Pereira, Valencia, Yonug and Jones all running down their contracts.

Other players with contracts ending in the summer include...
Di Maria and Rabiot at PSG
Robben at Bayern
Kompany at Man City
Welbeck and Monreal at Arsenal
Dembele, Alderweireld and Vertonghen at Spurs (would hate to see those all walk away for nothing)
Sturridge, Moreno and Milner at Liverpool
Luiz, Cahill and Giroud at Cheslea
Balotelli at Nice
Kruse at Bremen
El Haddadi at Barcalona

oh, and Declen Rice and Andy Carroll at West Ham...!
szola
Has liked: 584 likes
Total likes: 343 likes

Post by szola »

Džeko's contract has 18 months left come January.
He is 32.

If a Premier League club wants to buy him, he'll be sold.
Denzil
Has liked: 341 likes
Total likes: 489 likes

Post by Denzil »

I'd really like to see us make an offer for Ruben Loftus-Cheek.
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2594 likes
Total likes: 1729 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

There have been a few reports in various sites of interest from West Ham and Napoli for Colombian right back , Santiago Arias - it could be journalists putting 2+2 together as we showed interest in Arias last summer when he was at PSV Eindhoven - he joined Athletico Madrid but has found game time hard to come by , Diego Simeone seemingly preferring Sime Vrsaljko .

With Pablo Zabaleta in great form and the signing of 26 year old Ryan Fredericks in the summer we seem to be ok for right backs unless Pellegrini isn't happy with what he's seeing .

I'd be looking to sign or loan a back up to Arnautovic and right sided winger/midfielder .
iLoveLasagne
Has liked: 204 likes
Total likes: 217 likes

Post by iLoveLasagne »

We have failed miserably in trying to shift AC throughout his time here. Why would we have better luck in the next 2 years? Get rid.
hammerddh
Has liked: 9 likes
Total likes: 24 likes

Post by hammerddh »

Cant really see a lot of business being done to be honest.
Think our budget went in the summer.
Potentially a loan, but pretty sure the boss is on record stating he does not like those.
steveyrockstar
Has liked: 171 likes
Total likes: 754 likes

Post by steveyrockstar »

Denzil wrote:I'd really like to see us make an offer for Ruben Loftus-Cheek.
Absolutely this. We're light in CM and RLC can effectively play any of the Obiang, Noble and Wilshere roles. Big, energetic and powerful, and pretty skillful to boot. Think he needs to leave Chelsea as he's not getting much lookin there.
HammerAl
Total likes: 397 likes

Post by HammerAl »

RB Moses (loan to buy) / Arias (loan to buy)
LB Bertrand (£15m)
CM Ruben Loftus-Cheek (loan to buy) / Shelvey (£10m)
AM x2 Kluivert (loan) / Almiron (£10m) / Foden (loan) / Welbeck (loan)

Go into the second half of the season with real strength in depth.
HammerAl
Total likes: 397 likes

Post by HammerAl »

The Old Man of Storr wrote:There have been a few reports in various sites of interest from West Ham and Napoli for Colombian right back , Santiago Arias - it could be journalists putting 2+2 together as we showed interest in Arias last summer when he was at PSV Eindhoven - he joined Athletico Madrid but has found game time hard to come by , Diego Simeone seemingly preferring Sime Vrsaljko .

With Pablo Zabaleta in great form and the signing of 26 year old Ryan Fredericks in the summer we seem to be ok for right backs unless Pellegrini isn't happy with what he's seeing .

I'd be looking to sign or loan a back up to Arnautovic and right sided winger/midfielder .
Vrsaljko plays for Inter now, but Arias can't get in over Juanfran
sutts07

Post by sutts07 »

Can't see Chelsea selling Loftus-Cheek in Jan... best we could hope for there is a six month loan.

I'd still take that in fairness, especially with our injury concerns.
Crossd_Hammrs
Has liked: 364 likes
Total likes: 210 likes

Post by Crossd_Hammrs »

Briggsy wrote:We need a left back, defensive midfielder & an attacking player.
Isn't Rice doing a good enough job at DM?
And Lanzini will be a returning attacking player / as will Wilshere.

While I agree that we look a bit thin squad-wise, that's after the usualy abundance of injuries.

I think, looking at the squad in fully fit terms and improving the starting XI, we are only obviously lacking at left-back, and even then I'm not sure if it's really that bad. Who would we ditch: Cresswell or Masuaku?
Could we improve the centre-mid? Noble is captain so that's not going to be easy. We seemed to be keen to let Obiang go in the summer, so maybe he'd be the one to move.
Perma-crocks, Reid and Carroll, need to be shifted, but how would you replace them when they aren't first-choices anymore anyway. We would only be in the market for squad players in their positions, wouldn't we?
WestHamIFC

Post by WestHamIFC »

sutts07 wrote:In fact, I very much doubt we will look at RB or LB either in this window (despite needing upgrades in both areas).

DCM is looking less important as Rice grows into the role.

We are really short on quality out wide and up top...
Really? It's central midfield we need the most surely? Sanchez out, Wheelchair out, Lanzini out, Obiang out.

Snodgrass was forced to play a central role on Saturday..

I'd also sell Cresswell and buy a decent Left-Back. I'd keep Arthur as 2nd choice LB cos he can also cover Left-Wing, and has been pretty good an as 'impact sub' in the past when chasing a goal (and also gives us the option of playing Wing-Backs if we need a Plan B).

Up top - trouble is, who would want to be only 'cover' for Arnautovic? We only play one striker and I can't see the likes of Dzeko accepting that role.