Jan Transfer Window 18/19

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

Crossd_Hammrs
Has liked: 364 likes
Total likes: 210 likes

Re: Jan Transfer Window 18/19

Post by Crossd_Hammrs »

fmgod wrote:I'd rather go into the foreign market, far better value for money, far bigger pool, far more quality(the top sides barely have an English player start).
They have plenty of quality U-23 to call up if they can't fill their squad due to Home Trained requirements.
fmgod
Has liked: 51 likes
Total likes: 148 likes

Post by fmgod »

Crossd_Hammrs wrote:They have plenty of quality U-23 to call up if they can't fill their squad due to Home Trained requirements.
Not the quality they need though, maybe fine for us but not for winning leagues.

Last Prem game the only partly home grown player in the 16 was Christensen and he never starts and will never be good enough to start for a title challenging team.
Wilko1304
Location: "Once you start complicating things the end result is less inflatables"
Has liked: 1486 likes
Total likes: 3068 likes

Post by Wilko1304 »

I think people call for Loftus Cheek because they think he's realistic for our club. There's some good English talent about and the younger generation have started to see actual coaching in youth ages.

Regardless, a smart club would go big on a striker this January in the knowledge that Arnie could leave in summer. This would have us shopping possibly when rivals are less likely to, get us ahead of any negative impact and also give Arnie less power.
Peaches
Has liked: 90 likes
Total likes: 793 likes

Post by Peaches »

We have to sign a top class young striker as we are way too dependent on Arnie. If we can sell Hernandez and Carroll and or Antonio I would pay the release clause for Maxi Gomez. We will regret it if we let him go to Spurs or Arsenal.
On a different note Valencia want to send Batshuayi back to Chelsea, who also don’t want him. I’d certainly take him if the price was right.
fmgod
Has liked: 51 likes
Total likes: 148 likes

Post by fmgod »

Batshuayi on loan is a good shout, the problem is I think he thinks he should be playing at better clubs but would be a sensible move for both parties. Still surprised Chelsea didn't use him this year considering Giroud and Morata, he got 7 in 10 for Dortmund.
Peaches

Post by Peaches »

Fair bit of West Ham news from Italy. Both Roma and AC Milan are after Ogbonna, and Inter have to sell 45m earth of players in January with Gabigol and Joao Mario the two most likely to be sold.

For me Diop and Balbuena have relegated Ogbonna to being a permanent sub. I would sell him and either promote Oxford, Akinola or Pask, or go for obe of Joe Worrall, Dael Fry or Esri Konsa.

I would also sell Chicharito and Antonio and replace them with Joao Mario and Gabigol.

We’d get much younger and free up some wages.
JLCABA
Has liked: 203 likes
Total likes: 160 likes

Post by JLCABA »

hammerman11 wrote:peaches that sounds good but for the summertime. I still think we have a chance with RLC probably on loan.

agree about ogbonna as well, time to shift him. we wont shift reid who is injured all the time and on a big contract but we need younger players now.

for jan - DM and CF are the priorities
for summer - RB, LB, CB, DM,CF and possibly a GK if Adrian goes which I think he will.

a lot of work to do and another 100m spend which will tell us a lot about the board.

They can offset by selling Adrian 5m, cresswell 10m, Antonio 10m, perez 2m, sanchez 2m, hughill 10m, byran 3m, ogbonna 8m, carroll free, Hernandez 15m, oxford 10m. around 75m in.
so the board would probably only have a net spend of around 50m which is very realistic.

also add Fernandez silva Holland to squad

I have little idea who we should get or likely to get for the positions

GK -
LB- bertrand
RB- ZINCHENKO MAN CITY
CB-
DM-
CM - RLC, JOE ALLEN
AM- FODEN MAN CITY jao mario
CF- DIAZ MAN CITY

The 3 city lads would be great and possible especially diaz. foden would only be a loan but I am against loans as would hold back players like diagana .

plenty out there but as I said for summertime. RLC will need to move if he wants to get into the euro 2020 squad. we should be ready to pounce. quality player, 23 english, good engine and scores goals from midfield which we dont ! 35m
Hugill’s price is a Typo ? ... No ?
hammerman11
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 743 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

looks like we may be busy in January. gabigol and jao Mario in would be good. Hernandez and Antonio out

plenty to shift

hughill 5-10m as doing ok at boro
sutts07
Total likes: 538 likes

Post by sutts07 »

Wilko1304 wrote: a smart club would go big on a striker this January in the knowledge that Arnie could leave in summer. This would have us shopping possibly when rivals are less likely to, get us ahead of any negative impact and also give Arnie less power.
Finding a club willing to sell you their top striker in the Jan window is not going to be easy. I'd like to think that even we are not that stupid... wouldn't fall off my chair in shock if it did happen of course, but I'd like to think it wouldn't... not in January.
sutts07
Total likes: 538 likes

Post by sutts07 »

Peaches wrote:I would pay the release clause for Maxi Gomez. We will regret it if we let him go to Spurs or Arsenal.
That would be a statement of intent... 45m to snap up a player that the top six sides are looking at... can't see us doing it in all honesty. Certainly not in January.
Albie Beck
Has liked: 611 likes
Total likes: 638 likes

Post by Albie Beck »

Peaches wrote:For me Diop and Balbuena have relegated Ogbonna to being a permanent sub. I would sell him and either promote Oxford, Akinola or Pask, or go for obe of Joe Worrall, Dael Fry or Esri Konsa.
Diop and Balbuena are doing fine, but I've said before - you need a minimum of 4 CBs to get through a season, with injuries and suspensions. I like Ogbonna but he is more suited to a 3, so if sold he needs replacing with someone of similar experience. I've no problem with 1 youngster to make the 4 as Reid cannot be counted on.

I remind everyone again that we once had Upson, Gabbs, Anton, Ginge and Davenport as CBs, and STILL ended up playing Lucas Neill as a stopgap.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1165 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

I think I've spotted the guy to fill our RB spot tonight. Never heard or seen this guy before, but Denzel Dumfries of PSV Eindhoven playing for the Netherlands against France. Geezer looks the b*llocks, about 6ft 3", 22 apparently, big, strong and powerful, solid in the tackle, good defensively, powerful going forward and quick too, even matched Mbappe for pace at one point :shock: No idea how he got that name, whether it's to take the first name of your favourite Hollywood actor and the surname of a Scottish market town and end up playing for the Netherlands, but hey ho, somehow he's Dutch and he looks a good un
ageing hammer
Has liked: 480 likes
Total likes: 1470 likes

Post by ageing hammer »

Puff Daddy wrote:I think I've spotted the guy to fill our RB spot tonight. Never heard or seen this guy before, but Denzel Dumfries of PSV Eindhoven playing for the Netherlands against France. Geezer looks the b*llocks, about 6ft 3", 22 apparently, big, strong and powerful, solid in the tackle, good defensively, powerful going forward and quick too, even matched Mbappe for pace at one point :shock: No idea how he got that name, whether it's to take the first name of your favourite Hollywood actor and the surname of a Scottish market town and end up playing for the Netherlands, but hey ho, somehow he's Dutch and he looks a good un
My guess is he was conceived while his parents were on holiday in Scotland and were watching Only Fools and Horses diamond heist in the Netherlands. :)
S-H
Has liked: 5727 likes
Total likes: 9642 likes

Post by S-H »

Does look good doesn't he.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1165 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

...... Irrelevant to the thread, but since there isn't a topic on tonight's matches Martin Braithwaite of Middlesbrough ( another very un Danish name) has obviously listened to Tony Pullis's advice. Takes a long throw in and hammers it past Wayne Hennessey in Wales's goal
Peaches

Post by Peaches »

Apparently Gabigol is available for 26m. It is a no brainer. 22, and with all the qualities that both West Ham fans and Pellegrini desire. If we can find a taker for Chicharito, Gabigol id a perfect upgrade. Hopefully between Pellegrini, Husilios and Anderson they can convince him to come.
I would love Arnie to stay, but if a big club are prepared to pay 50m and 200k a week we have to let him go and pay the €50m release clause for Maxi Gomez.
We’d be replacing 2 30 year olds with 2 22 year olds who are already bordering on world class and have up side.
Gsbgsb
Has liked: 316 likes
Total likes: 749 likes

Post by Gsbgsb »

I believe wr have 16 non homegrown in the squad currently. If we get rid of someone like AC or Antonio in January then to give us any leeway in the summer, when Yarmolenko, Lanzini, Sanchez will all be back, we really should be looking at replacing them with another player who qualifies as homegrown.

Yes there will be a significant turnover of “foreign” players in the summer - Reid, Zabaleta spring to mind immeadiately however we cannot loose sight of the “homegrown” market and having at least 8 quality “homegrown” players especially as Diop becomes one of the 17 in the summer. Squad limits are why the likes of Fernandes is unlikely to return unless he really kicks on.
Peaches

Post by Peaches »

Of the non home grown players we have, Adrian, Sanchez, and Zabaleta are out of contract at the end of the year. Ogbonna, Perez and Chicharito are not starters, and you could argue neither are Obiang or Masuaku.
We can leave Sanchez off the list in January as he is probably not returning this season.
I expect there to be a push to sell Chicharito, Adrian and Ogbonna in January which will free up 3 places.
I’d make a double raid on Brentford for Chris Mepham and Danie Bentley and Ogbonna. Half the wages, on average 7 years younger and both homegrown and I’d argue Mepham is currently a better player than Ogbonna.
I would also try to find a way to get Wan-Bissaka in a deal sending Antonio the other way.
Those along with a central midfielder and upgrade at left back and striker would be my priorities in January.

Out: Adrian free, Masuaku 9m Ogbonna 8m, Chicharito 10m, Antonio 10m
In: Bentley 4m, Wan-Bissaka 20m, Mepham 9m Kieran Tierney 18m , Loftus-Cheek loan (hopefully with an option to buy) Gabriel Barbosa 26m.

It’s a hefty net spend of 37m, but we’d be selling 5 players with an average age of 29 4 of them non home grown for 6 players with an average age of 22 only 2 of them non home grown, and at the same time preparing for the departures of Zabaleta, Sanchez, and a potential sale of Arnautovic if it has to happen, and it would lower the wage bill.
only1post
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 77 likes

Post by only1post »

Sanchez was given a 2 year deal, so is not out of contract at the end of the year/season.
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2428 likes
Total likes: 4254 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

Newspaper speculation about Emiliano Sala, and claims Husillos scouted Leonardo Koutris the other evening.

A tall CF and a left back.