Jan Transfer Window 18/19

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

HarlowEssexHammer
Total likes: 65 likes

Re: Jan Transfer Window 18/19

Post by HarlowEssexHammer »

sutts07 wrote: Carroll for Shelvey
Arnautovic (assuming he wants away) for Loftus-Cheek plus cash
Hernandez and Perez for cash

Use the cash to get a striker.

Good window all things considered.
Sutts, your scenario would see us lose four forwards and only bring one in? Not my idea of a good window personally
sutts07
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 547 likes

Post by sutts07 »

HarlowEssexHammer wrote: Sutts, your scenario would see us lose four forwards
One who may as well be put down lame.
One who looks as though he has no desire to be here (all bar half an hour against Palace)
One who is decent on his day but past it if we are honest.
One who is very good but is not a forward.

Give me two fit and firing forwards that want to be here over those four any day.

I'd honestly rather see Silva given a go than ever see Perez play for us again. I'd also prefer to give Antonio the chance over Carroll now.

We would certainly need to look for another in the summer, but I think we could get by between now and May.
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6759 likes
Total likes: 2352 likes

Post by Colours never run »

Hernandez is the one true Striker on our books we should be looking to keep more than anyone. Whether he still wants to be here is another thing but if he does, he needs to be playing more than just from the bench.
k-r-c
Has liked: 28 likes
Total likes: 223 likes

Post by k-r-c »

If the supply is good Hernandez will always be there ready to poach. He's worth keeping as his ability to be in the right place right time is very good - albeit he might not always finish them.

Silva is nowhere near first team ready. Not to say that having Perez up top seems any better at the moment.
sutts07

Post by sutts07 »

Silva over Perez was the point I was making.
I agree re Hernandez but if we can cash in and bring in someone younger with more desire, then I'd be happy with that.

I don't think we are losing much in cutting Carroll loose now and Shelvy (if fit) would be a good addition to the squad. I think Loftus-Cheek would be a decent enough replacement for Arnautovic with a lot of potential.

All very hypothetical of course. I can't imagine Chelsea will want to part with RLC for a start.
Goldsmith

Post by Goldsmith »

Mate of mine who is a football agent, text me saying that Antonio got offered to Newcastle but they said no.

No idea how true that is but he tends to be pretty spot-on with this stuff.
sutts07

Post by sutts07 »

^^^ That would be a strange one, unless we had a fee, and replacement player in mind.

He's coming back into his own again now.
Goldsmith

Post by Goldsmith »

sutts07 wrote:^^^ That would be a strange one, unless we had a fee, and replacement player in mind.

I couldn't agree more but thought I'd share anyway as you never know.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1985 likes
Total likes: 1660 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

sutts07 wrote:^^^ That would be a strange one, unless we had a fee, and replacement player in mind.

don't disagree there mate...........however a good time to sell if the boss feels this is the best he will be and might go backwards again...

hypothetical from my part obviously........again * & * keep reiterating that we only have 1 slot open on the 25 man squad list.

however, I would "guess" that both Yarmo and Sanchez will be dropped at this stage due to their injuries. that would free up 2 more places - remains to be seen if Wilshere and Lanzini are included - I imagine they would be but that might give us a better indication as to whether they will play a big part in this season or not
sutts07

Post by sutts07 »

I just feel there is a limit to the amount of business that you should do in Jan.

Antonio is settled and playing well. He can also cover a few positions. Would be a crazy one for me.

Shipping out players like Perez and Carroll who we would hardly miss, I get. Hernandez I could understand if we could replace him, but a reliable squad player like Antonio seems mad.

That said, this is the first manager I have fully trusted to make the right calls for a very long time.
Hugh Jargon
Has liked: 169 likes
Total likes: 478 likes

Post by Hugh Jargon »

For what it's worth this is my judgement on recent matters.

Shelvey?. Forget it. He has a chronic thigh problem.
Arnie? I would be surprised if any of the top English teams would take him. None would pay him anyway near the 400k a week as reported. IF it's the money he wants sell him abroad. Wouldn't want him sulking around this particular squad. Team spirit is good. Get rid asap if his head has been turned.

We are very light squad wise. Pelli is an amazing manager. We are on the brink of something much much better. The Dildo brothers will continue to disappoint.
Aceface
Has liked: 375 likes
Total likes: 1471 likes

Post by Aceface »

The submitted squad list at the end of Jan is going to be far more interesting than usual given the mystery around a few players. Lanzini and Reid in particular being off or on will be revealing. But Yarmolenko and Sanchez must be touch and go as well.

Although unless we bring in a few in the next few weeks they'll probably just register players who won't be available anyway, so we may not get to experience the full majesty of having 4 senior players so knackered we don't even list them in the squad (and Carroll and Smokin' J. Wilshere still have a few perilous weeks to navigate to avoid joining them).
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

sutts07 wrote:I just feel there is a limit to the amount of business that you should do in Jan.

Antonio is settled and playing well. He can also cover a few positions. Would be a crazy one for me.

Shipping out players like Perez and Carroll who we would hardly miss, I get. Hernandez I could understand if we could replace him, but a reliable squad player like Antonio seems mad.

That said, this is the first manager I have fully trusted to make the right calls for a very long time.
thing is though mate, some of these are unsaleable assets. so sometimes you have to sell players who you might want to keep because they are the only ones who you will derive funds from.

Ace

my thoughts exactly........

Yarmo and Sanchez won't play many minutes at all by the time they are fit and ready to go the season will be over.

far better to leave those slots open.

Reid ? Who the hell knows what's going on there. that could be another opening.

we won't be bringing in 4 or more players again I guess that leaving Lanzini and Wilshere in the squad won't affect things majorly and any time they can give is always a bonus.

Like a new signing - so to speak

:D
Cellar-door
Has liked: 10 likes
Total likes: 297 likes

Post by Cellar-door »

He'll be 29 before the season ends, this might be the last chance to get decent money for him. He's probably not in the long term plan given Lanzini and Yarmolenko will be back soon, and those 2 plus Nasri and Anderson are better at his best position, and Dianganna is young and cheap there as well.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

c-d

Yarmo won't be back "anytime soon" imvho....

plus with that type of injury the player needs to be really careful in case of re-injury.

This may be as soon as 2 to 3 weeks or as long 6 weeks after your injury. With the help of physical therapy, most people can return to normal activity in 4 to 6 months. In physical therapy, you will learn exercises to make your calf muscles stronger and your Achilles tendon more flexible.

and I would guess that normal activity would be relating to folks like you and me, running and changing direction for a professional footballer would be a bit longer.
Cellar-door
Has liked: 10 likes
Total likes: 297 likes

Post by Cellar-door »

Cuenca 'ammer wrote:c-d

Yarmo won't be back "anytime soon" imvho....

plus with that type of injury the player needs to be really careful in case of re-injury.

This may be as soon as 2 to 3 weeks or as long 6 weeks after your injury. With the help of physical therapy, most people can return to normal activity in 4 to 6 months. In physical therapy, you will learn exercises to make your calf muscles stronger and your Achilles tendon more flexible.

and I would guess that normal activity would be relating to folks like you and me, running and changing direction for a professional footballer would be a bit longer.
Sorry, I should have said next season. The point more generally was that Antonio doesn't look like he has any significant role next year, so if you can get something for him now, it might be worth it.
HoustonHammer24
Has liked: 17 likes
Total likes: 125 likes

Post by HoustonHammer24 »

If we were to sell Arnie, I would prefer the China option. £55m+ and he’s gone, so long as we reinvest in a striker and another attacking player.

If he were to stay in this league, I would only be with the player+cash option everyone is discussing. If we could get £15-20m + Loftus-cheek or Batshuayi, we could then reinvest the £15-20m into another player, either striker, AM or DM and probably save a bit on wages.

Regarding the alleged 20% sell-on clause, does this only include transfer fee or overall value of the deal? I ask because if we were to do a player+cash deal, would the 20% fee come from only the cash aspect of the deal, or would it come from the cash + transfer market value of the player involved. If only cash, it could be a clever way to reduce the amount paid to Stoke.
LeonRivers
Has liked: 1033 likes
Total likes: 392 likes

Post by LeonRivers »

sutts07 wrote:I'd honestly rather see Silva given a go than ever see Perez play for us again
It's probably worth noting that respected football coach Manuel Pellegrini seems to feel otherwise, and he regularly sees them both in training.
LeonRivers
Has liked: 1033 likes
Total likes: 392 likes

Post by LeonRivers »

In my opinion, Antonio is a player that would command a very nice fee if sold and could probably be replaced by a better/more suited player for a significantly lower fee (I would assume our scouting network already has tabs on several suitable players).
He doesn't really play a typical Pellegrini style, effective as he has been recently. I would not be surprised in the slightest if he has been lined up for upgrading.
Ozza
Has liked: 943 likes
Total likes: 2391 likes

Post by Ozza »

f*** me what are we like on here, we spend numerous seasons with f*** all up front, now have 4 proper strikers, so have decent back up, and you lot want to flog them all?

Madness!

Also some of you seem to forget how difficult it is to

A - find and afford goalscorers

B - Get forwards with no Premier experience up to speed....

I'd say a max of one out over the window is the right option.... get to the summer and review