Jan Transfer Window 18/19

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

Patito

Re: Jan Transfer Window 18/19

Post by Patito »

Tristan Shout wrote:If I was the manager, I'd be looking for the best up and coming young midfielder in the world, I'd pay the money needed to get him and I'd stick him on the bench for the rest of this season, bring him on for 10 mins here and there, get him training with the first team, settled in and ready to be a starter next season, that way we're not desperately buying some journeyman has-been on one extortionate last pay day, 1 minute before the window slams shut for next season

Santiago Ascacíbar.
Tenbury
Has liked: 722 likes
Total likes: 1209 likes

Post by Tenbury »

For once I'm quite looking forward to a window, simply because the last one showed just how shrewd our new regime can be....some of the best signings in a long while..I
.(wouldn't mind a return of the little French bloke..).
Billydinho
Has liked: 174 likes
Total likes: 767 likes

Post by Billydinho »

I've seen Payet mentioned a couple of times in here. Is there a link to him coming back or just on the wishlist?
Pob!
Has liked: 1017 likes
Total likes: 676 likes

Post by Pob! »

Payet can f**k off!
Horrible little prick..
S-H
Has liked: 5739 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

Pob! wrote:Payet can f**k off!
Horrible little prick..
Best player we've had since Di Canio.

Blame our owners for the way it ended, not Payet, I'd have him back here in a flash.
S-H
Has liked: 5739 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

Billydinho wrote:I've seen Payet mentioned a couple of times in here. Is there a link to him coming back or just on the wishlist?
Hugh Southon told DL.
OohAahButler
Has liked: 561 likes
Total likes: 288 likes

Post by OohAahButler »

Adrianisournumber1 wrote: Not sure we need to spend silly money this window at all, look at our injuries whos coming back next season, just spend enough to make sure where comfortable ( i already think we are) and focus on next Season when we will have some of our best players back from Injury, no need to go silly. With a fully fit squad i think we already have a team that should be pushing for top 7
I'd agree with you totally...if I didn't just know it in my bones that half of those coming back will instantly get injured again, and that we'll get a whole new crock of injuries to add to them.

I genuinely can't remember the last time we had a fully fit squad.
Pob!
Has liked: 1017 likes
Total likes: 676 likes

Post by Pob! »

S-H wrote:
Best player we've had since Di Canio.

Blame our owners for the way it ended, not Payet, I'd have him back here in a flash.
No I blame Payet! Not giving 100% while still getting paid a fortune, not being professional, having tantrums when things didn't go his way...
Not the first time either. Mardy twat!
e17
Has liked: 280 likes
Total likes: 940 likes

Post by e17 »

Pob! wrote:Payet can f**k off!
Horrible little prick..
I reckon about 90% of the support would welcome him back like a messiah
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2437 likes
Total likes: 4294 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

Sounds like everything is going to be dictated by who is fit and who will be fit.

We don't usually spend in January, do we? Balance the books or take a profit seems the norm.
goa127
Has liked: 440 likes
Total likes: 290 likes

Post by goa127 »

I think most would welcome payet back, I would. I don't hold anyone responsible for him going except himself, but so what? He did what suited him at the time and we enjoyed his football for a while. It would be another short stay for sure, but who doesn't fancy seeing him and arnie together?
TheHandOfDog
Has liked: 523 likes
Total likes: 419 likes

Post by TheHandOfDog »

Didn't we sell Ayew and bring in Hugil last January window? I'm getting scared to be honest.
Gsbgsb
Has liked: 316 likes
Total likes: 749 likes

Post by Gsbgsb »

goa127 wrote:I think most would welcome payet back, I would. I don't hold anyone responsible for him going except himself, but so what? He did what suited him at the time and we enjoyed his football for a while. It would be another short stay for sure, but who doesn't fancy seeing him and arnie together?
Rather see if Arnie and Anderson (our current left sided attacker) can prosper rather than get Payet back and watch the teams workrate go through the floor.

As for shifting Anderson to the right - well if Diangana has mares for the next 6 or so games maybe but if he shows what he has to date then let’s give youth its chance please, so many complain youth prospects are not encouraged well here is one who may have what it takes. We will not find out if he spends most of his time sitting on the bench watching.

Sorry Payet is a 1 at best 2 season proposition who will cost a lot and be on mega wages, at least when we spent big on Anderson and Diop it was for players with a future and if we are to spend big again, either January or the summer, I hope it is the same philosophy and not a return to the retirement home principle.
goa127
Has liked: 440 likes
Total likes: 290 likes

Post by goa127 »

I generally agree with what you're saying gsb I just think a short term fix of payet would be difficult to resist!
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 838 likes
Total likes: 1983 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

Payet back is a complete fiasco waiting to happen.

Even if there was a shred of truth in the possibility, isn't he, in reality, a bit of a sick note?
il_martello_di_genovesi
Has liked: 676 likes
Total likes: 1969 likes

Post by il_martello_di_genovesi »

prophet:marginal wrote:Payet back is a complete fiasco waiting to happen.

Even if there was a shred of truth in the possibility, isn't he, in reality, a bit of a sick note?
No?

His stats throughout his career for matches played is very high. 30+ League matches played in every season.
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 838 likes
Total likes: 1983 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

I give you the first injury he had, because that was obviously inflicted on him, by an Everton player, iirc, but, in his second season, he pretty much picked what games he'd feature in.

He never really wanted to sign for us; Marseille just happened to be easy game, even for the berks running our gaffe, and needed some money.

He played his way into the French squad and, like Tevez, plied his trade elsewhere, pretty quickly.

So, when I said 'sicknote', I was meaning to imply a player whose availability is perhaps not very reliable.
hammer1975
Has liked: 934 likes
Total likes: 1089 likes

Post by hammer1975 »

See that we’ve been linked in a number of unreliable places (mirror, HTC, 90min) with Nasri

Much more likely than Payet I suspect. Short term cheap cover for Yarmo/Lanzini, point to prove, worked with Pellegrini before.
I am Legend
Has liked: 1550 likes
Total likes: 1622 likes

Post by I am Legend »

Almiron is a player we need to jump on before he ends up at Sevilla or Ac Milan and price does up 30m+

I've seen just about every Atlanta United game and he is immense. He would do well here. He is fast, skill full, creative, has good movement, passing, finishing. Anderson, Almiron, Lanzini would give us so much creativity.

Bubbles, MLS isnt up to Prem standards but its much faster and that improves a players reactions. Definitely not a mickey mouse league.

If we can also bring in a huge upgrade on any other position then I'd say go for it but I think we'd have to wait for summer for that.
hammer1975
Has liked: 934 likes
Total likes: 1089 likes

Post by hammer1975 »

If we’ve got that amount to spend i’d much rather spend it on someone like Ndombele or Kessie than Almiron. Personally think the engine room needs more urgent work than another ‘can play number ten’ type.

Not that it matters as we won’t net spend in January - There isn’t good value in January window (c) David Sullivan*

* despite no evidence to support this and plenty of other clubs have found good value and bad value in summer and winter windows alike