Balbuena proving a steal at £4m

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Balbuena proving a steal at £4m

Postby Up the Junction on Tue Nov 06, 2018 5:45 pm

It's probably a little early to name a local road after him, but what a fantastic start Snr Balbuena has made to life in east London - in the mix for all the important defensive stats:

http://www.kumb.com/story.php?id=133009

Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place

Re: Balbuena proving a steal at £4m

Postby Patito on Tue Nov 06, 2018 5:48 pm

I had never heard of him before we went in for him. What an outstanding piece of business (and scouting) he's proved to be.

£4million really does constitute 'peanuts' in Premier League terms too.

El General. :crest:
Patito

Postby The Gibbins on Tue Nov 06, 2018 5:51 pm

He looks top class, but i am waiting for that inevitable red card as he is very much your typical South American that wears his hear on his sleeve :lol:

Since Diop has come in alongside him they have looked excellent and compliment one another really well. The way they have adapted to the offside trap on the edge of the box has been fantastic considering how badly it worked the first day of the season. Sometimes you just need persistence with a new system and they have looked better as each game goes by.

He was phenomenal against Man Utd and Leicester especially, i really like him.
The Gibbins
Maggot infested twat

Postby Knighter10WHU on Tue Nov 06, 2018 5:54 pm

Brilliant signing, the no nonsense replacement for Collins that we needed this summer. Having someone who will take a view and get rid of the ball if need be when under pressure is vital, especially when he is lining up alongside Diop, Rice, Masuaku etc who are all young inexperienced and like to play out from the back.
Knighter10WHU

Postby Briggsy on Tue Nov 06, 2018 5:59 pm

Reminds me of Winston Reid in his prime. Outstanding positioning & reading on the game. He seems to be able to offer excellent defensive work whilst standing still.
Briggsy

Postby S-H on Tue Nov 06, 2018 6:06 pm

Never in doubt. Love him.
S-H

Postby Billydinho on Tue Nov 06, 2018 6:21 pm

The back slapping we do as a football club after one win is so embarrassing.

If the game Saturday had been 2-2, as it could easily have been, the articles about how great our players are wouldn't materialise.

Don't get me wrong, he and Diop have done brilliantly but it's the timing and the angle on these that annoys me.
Billydinho

Postby PortCityIron on Tue Nov 06, 2018 6:54 pm

Billydinho +1

These wins should be expected
PortCityIron

Postby continental skills on Tue Nov 06, 2018 6:57 pm

Regardless of last weekend's result, I think Balbuena has been the steal of the summer. Diop always seems to get the defensive plaudits on the match day threads on here, but Balbuena's been consistently good and is the one in command of the offside trap which we've operated so well of late. Great all-round defender, excellent purchase.
continental skills

Postby fmgod on Tue Nov 06, 2018 7:13 pm

Be interesting what he is like behind the scenes too, wasn't he his club or countrys captain too
fmgod

Postby MAC08 on Tue Nov 06, 2018 7:19 pm

The sort of player who quietly goes about his business. Never makes the headlines or gets the plaudits he deserves but is one of the first names on the team sheet. Reminds me of Steve Potts in that respect. Fantastic player.
MAC08

Postby MAC08 on Tue Nov 06, 2018 7:21 pm

The sort of player who quietly goes about his business. Never makes the headlines or gets the plaudits he deserves but is one of the first names on the team sheet. Reminds me of Steve Potts in that respect. Fantastic player.
MAC08

Postby Up the Junction on Tue Nov 06, 2018 7:30 pm

Billydinho wrote:The back slapping we do as a football club after one win is so embarrassing.

The link highlights how he's in the PL's top five for various important defensive attributes. Factual evidence which has nothing to do with winning just one game at the weekend.

Quite why a purported West Ham Utd supporter would have an issue with a thread highlighting a player's positive impact is beyond me. Feel free to explain that, Billy.
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place

Postby Cuenca 'ammer on Tue Nov 06, 2018 7:32 pm

billy is a lot like me Skipper..

a right miserable b*stard !!!!!!!!!!

:D
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado

Postby Vic_Watson on Tue Nov 06, 2018 7:35 pm

What do those stats prove beyond that we do a lot of defending? No defender from any top club (excl Arse who began poorly) are included.
Vic_Watson

Postby the pink palermo on Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:06 pm

For £4m he is undoubtedly the value signing of the summer for us, although Fabianski too has been good.

I'm not sure how much longer he will be allowed to get away with the fouls he commits every single aerial challenge though ( left forearm in to the back of the forward a split second before he jumps), but for now he's done very well.

For some reason I thought he was older, but at 27 he's in his prime as a CB.

He's not so good that a dozen other clubs will be seeking his services within a few months either, which means we should be able to hang on to him, but he's plenty good enough.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin

Postby Billydinho on Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:08 pm

Up the Junction wrote:The link highlights how he's in the PL's top five for various important defensive attributes. Factual evidence which has nothing to do with winning just one game at the weekend.

Quite why a purported West Ham Utd supporter would have an issue with a thread highlighting a player's positive impact is beyond me. Feel free to explain that, Billy.

Purported? Not sure what you're implying?

I did explain my gripe. We beat Burnley and then w*nk ourselves furious about it. See the win at Everton and even more embarrassingly the draw at home with Chelsea.

Whether your article is factually based or not, Whufc (who you have quoted) would not have released the article.
Billydinho

Postby S-H on Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:17 pm

We have more downs than ups, no shame in enjoying the ups, no matter how insignificant they may seem. Life's too short.

Win lose or draw, Balbuena, Diop, Rice, Arnie and others still receive a good amount of praise, and rightly so.
S-H

Postby Pocket Pardew on Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:29 pm

I like the fact that he looks like a latin Steve Potts.
Not in the way that he plays but actually looks like Steve Potts with a suntan. Then again, with the Olympic stadium sight lines, Diop looks like Lomas from the upper tier..... :D
Pocket Pardew

Postby goa127 on Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:54 pm

Definitely a very astute signing. I seem to remember many comments when he signed branding him a cheap sully special. I doubt sully had very little to do with it apart from signing the forms. Obviously someone on Pell and husillos radar
goa127

Next

Return to General Discussion