Balbuena proving a steal at £4m

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Re: Balbuena proving a steal at £4m

Postby Diogenes on Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:20 pm

Billydinho wrote:The back slapping we do as a football club after one win is so embarrassing.

If the game Saturday had been 2-2, as it could easily have been, the articles about how great our players are wouldn't materialise.

Don't get me wrong, he and Diop have done brilliantly but it's the timing and the angle on these that annoys me.

To be fair I think UTJ was pointing out that he has been very good all season (not just Burnley game) and for only £4m compared to other hugely more expensive buys in the Premiership. Which I think is a very valid point. Im not sure what you are being particularly upset about.
Diogenes

Postby Aceface on Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:28 pm

Been a disappointment for me. His YouTube reels suggested he would be regularly pointing at the ball after winning it, has not been the case.
Aceface

Postby il_martello_di_genovesi on Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:33 pm

The £25-£30m we spent on him and Diop is fantastic business, and credit to whoever put them in the shopping basket. They seem to enjoy their partnership too, which for 2 new players, coming into the Premier League is fantastic.

The general cost at least £20m less than Keane, Lindelof and Mawson.
il_martello_di_genovesi

Postby Up the Junction on Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:41 pm

Billydinho wrote:We beat Burnley and then w*nk ourselves furious about it.

Thanks for your valuable contribution to the thread.
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place

Postby Vic_Watson on Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:46 pm

Aceface wrote:Been a disappointment for me. His YouTube reels suggested he would be regularly pointing at the ball after winning it, has not been the case.

Gutted he didn't salute after scoring either.
Vic_Watson

Postby likemydreams on Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:02 pm

i think hes been a bargain but i also think Diop is the big difference in the CB position, i reckon you play any of our other CBs alongside him and their stats will also shine
likemydreams

Postby Billydinho on Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:53 pm

Up the Junction wrote:Thanks for your valuable contribution to the thread.

Nice selective quoting there. :thup:
Billydinho

Postby hammers92 on Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:54 pm

Our defending was appalling against Burnley, let's not dress anything up
hammers92

Postby One Peter Butler on Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:04 pm

Too early to name a road?

The man already has a society in his honour.

Thank the Lord we have the makings of a defence at long last!
One Peter Butler

Postby The Old Man of Storr on Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:48 pm

hammers92 wrote:Our defending was appalling against Burnley, let's not dress anything up

I think Husillos worked minor miracles getting Fabian Balbuena for that price and young Diop despite taking his time settling in looks like he could be worth quadruple what we paid for him , our best centre half pairing for many a season but against Burnley concentration levels weren't as high as they've been , but I've a little theory why that happened .
I think the whole defence were resting on their laurels after seeing Marko score so early and then along with Diangana and Anderson they tore Burnley apart time after time - concentration levels in our defenders dropped as a result , I'm sure of it .
The Old Man of Storr

Postby stu1 on Wed Nov 07, 2018 1:48 am

Vic_Watson wrote:What do those stats prove beyond that we do a lot of defending? No defender from any top club (excl Arse who began poorly) are included.

I’ve always thought this about defensive stats. If you’re a defender playing for one of the poorer teams in the division (which the table would suggest we are at least for now) then it’s hardly surprising that you’ll have made more clearances and blocks etc. The stat that really matters is goals conceded which would paint Balbuena in a different light. That being said I think both him and Diop have been great buys and the goals we’ve conceded recently are often due to errors by other players which they could do little to prevent.
stu1

Postby Cuenca 'ammer on Wed Nov 07, 2018 1:50 am

Fabianski has made the second most saves behind Joe Hart..

what does that say about our defence ?

we don't let goals in because our 2 CB's are the dog's bolleaux or that their stats are padded because of our goalie ?

:idea: :idea: :idea:
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado

Postby Cuenca 'ammer on Wed Nov 07, 2018 1:53 am

thought that this thread was about Balbuena nicking a load of Sully's dosh..

:shock:
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Postby The Old Man of Storr on Wed Nov 07, 2018 2:06 am

Cuenca 'ammer wrote:Fabianski has made the second most saves

what does that say about our defence ?

That was how Gary Lineker introduced us before our MOTD showing on Saturday and I took his words as being we were rather poor in the defending area but it doesn't tell the whole story .
Opposition players could be shooting from the halfway line and Fabianski is saving the shots with ease or we could be facing the likes of Liverpool , Chelsea and Man Utd in our first few games , they create a lot of chances don't they ?
Or........ :)
The Old Man of Storr

Postby Cuenca 'ammer on Wed Nov 07, 2018 2:56 am

all very true..

I suppose that one could go and break it down on a game by game basis....

thing is, when they put all these stats together we could also assume the e.g. Arnie is the shot leader. He might have taken 20 against Brighton and none against ManU or Everton (we know he did because he scored)..

he would still be averaging about 6 point something a game over those 3 games.

Sergio Arguero has 7 goals. Now he might have scored 5 against one opponent and only 2 in the other 8 games. Unfortunately until everyone has played the same common opponent both home and away (end of the season) that's the only thing we have to go on.

And then of course nothing takes into account weather, injuries or suspensions and of course shyttey referees who don't give penalties when they should, and we know that Arnie would have taken it and be one more goal to the good.

It's just how it is mate. There isn't any perfect way to put these things together other than the way that they are.

People love stats and quote them ad infinitum. Ryan Fraser leads in assists but then again we haven't played the same opponents as they have home and away so there is no telling how much better any one of our players are than him. It's what managers look at, how players get paid, how they get in the team or dropped and whether they are doing their job or not.

Jorginho is top of the passing stats but plays in a team that takes 100's of passes a game....

it is what it is.........
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Postby chigwells finest on Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:55 am

hammers92 wrote:Our defending was appalling against Burnley, let's not dress anything up

but it was better than theirs by a country mile , they got off lightly at 4-2 , we know it and they know it too

possibly one of the most enjoyable games ive been to in a long time as well , esp when you remember the last 2 games vs them at the ls

love the general by the way . ( back on topic )
chigwells finest

Postby ryanrc on Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:11 am

I think a real show of his character was when Sanchez blundered in the last minute against Wolves. Everybody else looked fuming/distraught but he went straight over to him and put his arm round him. I thought right then we have a leader whatever happens.

I'm still a bit concerned by his positioning sometimes but overall very impressed
ryanrc

Postby jacko on Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:13 am

Bit baffled by the criticism of this thread!

But anyway, he has done a great job so far. Long may it continue.
jacko

Postby The Old Mile End on Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:17 am

Well done Rocky. :thup:
The Old Mile End

Postby wizzo_66 on Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:29 am

I think we are largely defending well - our play is a lot more open and expansive and therefore by proxy we concede more chances on the counter.

Our defenders need to be better because of that, and they are.

This lad compliments Diop perfectly, they are an excellent partnership and I am sure they will continue to gain more understanding with eachother as the season goes on.

He looks dangerous in the opposition box, something we have missed since Tomkins really - and I think they are quite similar. We came the long way around to replace like for like but it does seem so far Balbuena gets injured far less frequently so I'm overchuffed with our current starting centrebacks.
wizzo_66

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion