Boca Juniors vs River Plate (non WHU)

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Boca Juniors vs River Plate (non WHU)

Postby sutts07 on Wed Nov 07, 2018 2:34 pm

The Copa Libertadores final 2018 will pitch two of football's biggest rivals up against each other for the first time ever in their showpiece final... and this was the last chance they had to meet over two legs in the final and have it in Buenos Aires as the final will be a one off at neutral stadium going forward.

Quite simply, there has never been anything like this, and there never will be again...!

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/international/copa-libertadores-2018-boca-juniors-vs-river-plate-fixtures-dates-when-schedule-superclasico-video-a8612381.html

These two have met in the knockout stages of South America’s equivalent of the Champions League before, indeed they did so just three years ago, but never to decide the trophy itself.

On that occasion, Boca fans made a hole in the protective tunnel that prevents the players being hit by missiles as they enter the pitch (welcome to South America!) and pumped in a home-made tear gas that hospitalised several River players with burns to the skin and eyes, forcing the match to be abandoned at half-time.

Such high stakes mean that no away fans will be allowed to attend the game.

Away fans have been banned for domestic fixtures in Argentina for some time, where hooligan groups are so deeply interwoven with organised crime that deadly assaults and murder would occur all to regularly.

The first leg will take place at La Bombonera on Saturday, with the return fixture at El Monumental scheduled for November 24.

This is going to be insane...!
sutts07

Re: Boca Juniors vs River Plate

Postby HarlowEssexHammer on Wed Nov 07, 2018 2:50 pm

A bucket list fixture for me one day, along with El Clasico and the Old Firm. They are ****ing mental over there!

Those Boca players will want to be down the tunnel sharpish if they win that second leg, worry about the trophy later!
HarlowEssexHammer

Postby Cottee on Wed Nov 07, 2018 2:59 pm

Travesty that this hasn't been picked up by an English broadcaster.
Cottee

Postby sutts07 on Wed Nov 07, 2018 2:59 pm

I honestly can't see the second leg being completed if the home side are losing.
sutts07

Postby Crossd_Hammrs on Wed Nov 07, 2018 3:12 pm

Cottee wrote:Travesty that this hasn't been picked up by an English broadcaster.

Was it channel 4 or 5 that used to show full Libertadores matches about 15 years ago?
I used to watch every week. And the Argentinian League highlights show too.
Last edited by Crossd_Hammrs on Wed Nov 07, 2018 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Crossd_Hammrs

Postby Cuenca 'ammer on Wed Nov 07, 2018 3:14 pm

will be available via the usual suspects...

I watched some of the Estudiantes de la Plata v River Plate last Saturday..it wasn't a great standard but I expect the final(s) to be hotly contested.

Never been played on a Saturday before from what I can gather....

no away supporters going to be allowed..(didn't realise this was the norm anyway).

going to be mental outside the ground.....
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado

Re: Boca Juniors vs River Plate (non WHU)

Postby Vic_Watson on Wed Nov 07, 2018 3:21 pm

I doubt if they would have programmed the matches for a Saturday had one of the Brazilian teams won the semifinal.
Vic_Watson

Postby Cuenca 'ammer on Wed Nov 07, 2018 3:43 pm

I want to say it's something to do with a big political meeting..like a summit or that ?

The games will be played on Saturdays because of a political summit in Buenos Aires. Initially, the matches were scheduled for Nov. 7 and 28, but Buenos Aires will host the G20 summit in the last week of the month.

http://www.espn.com/soccer/conmebol-cop ... h-revealed" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado

Postby Stratford Hammer on Wed Nov 07, 2018 5:10 pm

Cottee wrote:Travesty that this hasn't been picked up by an English broadcaster.

It’s certainly being considered.
Stratford Hammer

Postby sicknote on Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:14 pm

I watched the river plate Gremio semi final, **** game so didn’t really watch it till it all went bandy at the end and the bar we were in had loads of screens showing college football and basketball and as it was Florida and the demographic the football is huge so it was live, some locals were going bonkers at the ref , he had to have police protection

It’s **** football, and every **** dives cheats and whines, you’d think these twats would have learnt from the World Cup that **** wins nothing these days

If it was on after that semi I’d watch something else I’m afraid
sicknote
Plumbing the depths

Postby Cottee on Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:10 pm

It's been picked up by Freesports, 8pm kick off.
Cottee

Postby Pocket Pardew on Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:44 pm

Cottee wrote:It's been picked up by Freesports, 8pm kick off.

Can you get that through SKY?
Pocket Pardew

Postby The_Dead_Ball on Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:27 pm

Slightly off the subject

Anyone watched that Boca mini series on Netflix? Tevez heavily interviewed
The_Dead_Ball

Postby Carlton'sGoal on Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:51 pm

Was over there when they played each other in the league, I was expecting it to be crazy all over the city. In the bar I was in it was like watching any other big game in the pub and the standard was worse that our league 2.

If this is on your bucket list for fixtures make sure you've got lots of disposable income, only members (ultras) get the tickets for every game and they then sell them on to tour operators who put their mark-up on.
Carlton'sGoal

Postby sicknote on Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:51 pm

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/46131522

check out this amazing hypocrisy of this report almost glorifying this game and the stuff that follows it and the like in south america

yet in our own league to this news organisation and all others in this country our game except liverpool fans have to behave impecably and mot be seen or heard,

the reporting on clubs like ours millwall leeds and others is a disgrace when you read that report and almost celebration of the atmosphere and way this derby is played in, our club and others get hounded and castigated for trivial things by the media in this country

sicknote
Plumbing the depths

Postby Overchuffed on Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:58 pm

Pocket Pardew wrote:Can you get that through SKY?

Channel 422
Overchuffed

Postby e17 on Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:08 pm

sicknote wrote:https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/46131522" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

check out this amazing hypocrisy of this report almost glorifying this game and the stuff that follows it and the like in south america

yet in our own league to this news organisation and all others in this country our game except liverpool fans have to behave impecably and mot be seen or heard,

the reporting on clubs like ours millwall leeds and others is a disgrace when you read that report and almost celebration of the atmosphere and way this derby is played in, our club and others get hounded and castigated for trivial things by the media in this country

But it looks all very "exotic and tribal" and is nice & remote for the Nick Hornby inspired BBC lot... Whereas fat blokes being kettled by South Yorkshire Police for no apparent reason isn't.
e17

Postby Wembley1966 on Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:06 pm

Cottee wrote:It's been picked up by Freesports, 8pm kick off.

It's also on BT Sports 2
Wembley1966

Postby Cottee on Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:18 pm

Even better, can watch it in HD now :thup:
Cottee

Postby Wembley1966 on Fri Nov 09, 2018 6:02 pm

Freesports is available on HD but only on Virgin - channel 533
Wembley1966

Next

Return to General Discussion