Allardyce isn't a fan of KUMB

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Re: Allardyce isn't a fan of KUMB

Postby Coops on Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:34 pm

"When was the last time West Ham played the West Ham way?"

Last Saturday.
Coops

Postby James P on Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:35 pm

mywhufc wrote:id love to have his record as west ham boss expunged,
when we look back at his time the book will just say....

Getting relegated and then mysteriously reappearing in the top flight is not the West Ham way.

It’s the Arsenal way.
James P

Postby Happyhammer52 on Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:46 pm

Adrianisournumber1 wrote:Moose is right id rather us lose and play good football than win and play aladyce football all day long

An absolute myth, proved at the start of the season when folk were calling for MP to be sacked.

I liked him a lot, and his football was nowhere as bad as people made out. Some of the displays at the start of 2014/2015 season were class. Second half was an absolute shitemare however. Did make Europa League through fair play which a lot of people forget when they talk about his physical approach.
Happyhammer52

Postby wigwig on Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:49 pm

As West Ham are priced out of the running for winning trophies now more than ever before 'The West Ham Way' is more relevant now than ever. The Moose is right, entertainment is key. I was with Jane last season until he set us up not to lose to Stoke at home, I think we won that game? Can't remember, but it was not something I expect us to do.
wigwig

Postby wigwig on Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:51 pm

I liked Sam as well, did a good job, it was the right time for him to go in the end.
wigwig

Postby brothernero on Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:56 pm

Worse 4 seasons ever to be a West Ham fan. Hated everything about his football and hated everything about the man himself.
brothernero

Postby brothernero on Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:57 pm

"I liked him a lot, and his football was nowhere as bad as people made out"

No it was much much worse.
brothernero

Postby James P on Fri Nov 09, 2018 4:00 pm

wigwig wrote:I was with Jane last season until he set us up not to lose to Stoke at home, I think we won that game? Can't remember, but it was not something I expect us to do.

He set us up exactly the same way as he had done when we beat Southampton 3-0 two weeks previous. It’s hilarious how these myths get cemented over time.
James P

Postby Up the Junction on Fri Nov 09, 2018 4:02 pm

brothernero wrote:Worse 4 seasons ever to be a West Ham fan.

Absolute nonsense.

Season 1 - record wins and a (won) Wembley Final
Season 2 - back in the PL and a top ten finish
Season 3 - Cup fiascos but two wins out of three over Spurs (finished 13th)
Season 4 - Not great, but we still finished 12th
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place

Postby DDHammer on Fri Nov 09, 2018 4:04 pm

brothernero wrote:"I liked him a lot, and his football was nowhere as bad as people made out"

No it was much much worse.

I thought the football played under Bilic in his last 18 months was worse than anything Allardyce served up.

Regularly getting spanked by 2 or 3 goals to bottom half teams and the big boys constantly demolishing us by 4 or 5.

Scrapping 1-0 wins, backs to the wall against relegation favourites and newly promoted teams.
DDHammer

Postby Coops on Fri Nov 09, 2018 4:09 pm

It's not just about results though is it?
Under Sam we played some of the most boring football that I have witnessed as a West Ham fan.
Yes we gained promotion, via the playoffs, with the most expensive squad in the league, having scraped through with draws and narrow wins against teams we should have been much better than.
He was the most un West Ham like manager I didn't want him here and I was glad when he left. He was an early indication of how little the spivs care about the culture and History of West Ham.

We're West Ham United, we play on the floor.
Coops

Postby brothernero on Fri Nov 09, 2018 4:09 pm

UTJ

Perhaps I should have said "Worse 4 seasons to be a West Ham fan for me"

Football to me is about entertainment. For example I loved the Avram Grant Season, despite getting relegated.

Under Allardcye I never once was entertained.

That is my opinion and one shared by a great deal of West Ham fans. I don't care who liked him or who liked his football, because that of course is their own opinion. But mine is I hated every single second of Allardyce's time at West Ham. There are next to no highlights in his time here and the very very few that did happen meant nothing to me because he was still here.

I know many fans who stopped going because of him, these were ST Holders who had gone home and Away for 20+ years.

Hated him being here, hope he never comes back, hope he never gets a job in football ever again. Hate him just as much as I do Sullivan, Brady & Gold.
brothernero

Postby hammer1975 on Fri Nov 09, 2018 4:18 pm

People will have different opinions but the first half of his last season (Downing at the tip of a midfield diamond and Song at the base) had us on a par position-wise with Bilic the following season and we played some great stuff in that part of the season. Once again the board held out on us in January when we desperately needed a fourth centre back in the squad (pulling out of Kara Mbodji deal over £250k). We barely won a game post our January CB injury crisis.

Wasn’t there talk of Sakho and Valencia being the best combo since TC and Macca? In hindsight it didn’t last but to suggest it was all boring seems a tad harsh.
hammer1975

Postby Hello there! on Fri Nov 09, 2018 4:26 pm

Twist.
Hello there!

Postby DaveWHU1964 on Fri Nov 09, 2018 4:28 pm

Ozza wrote:He was right in some respect, however mouthing it off and disengaging the fan base with his comments, was a bad move that he seems to repeat at every club he's at (most recently Everton)

Too true Oz.

You know I spent hours defending the bloke on here whilst he was our boss but he did himself no favours and made it harder to put up a case for him. And there most definitely was a case for him. Once he left I went back to my pre-Wes Ham Allardyce default position - respecting for the job he can do - keeping teams up - and disliking him for some pretty horrible traits - arrogant, prickly, bitter, disdainful, etc, etc, etc. He has good qualities but those are put in the shade by too many negative traits.

Thanks Sam for the necessary and under - appreciated job that you did here - I just hope I never see your face again. :thup:
DaveWHU1964

Postby Carlton'sGoal on Fri Nov 09, 2018 4:31 pm

Hello there! wrote:Twist.

:lol: I was just about to write can we not start this again!

Chilling memories of KUMB circa 2014
Carlton'sGoal

Postby RichieRiv on Fri Nov 09, 2018 4:32 pm

He was the right man to do the job at the right time. He got us promoted albeit it the hard way, but at least I got a day out at Wembley and then provided stability.

As for the "West Ham way", this has nothing to do with attractive attacking football - it's about turning up and giving it a go. What fans won't suffer is a lackluster effort.
RichieRiv

Postby warp on Fri Nov 09, 2018 4:34 pm

SAM OUT!
warp

Location: I am everything about this site which is wrong... i don't give a toss about WHUFC.

Postby Vic_Watson on Fri Nov 09, 2018 4:50 pm

Is there a fan of any team in the wholewide world who will suffer lacklustre effort? Minimum requirement.
Vic_Watson

Postby view from the shires on Fri Nov 09, 2018 4:59 pm

Coops wrote:Yes we gained promotion, via the playoffs, with the most expensive squad in the league, having scraped through with draws and narrow wins against teams we should have been much better than.

Yet, had we won either of the games against Reading we would have been promoted as champions. I don’t subscribe to the scraped up accusations when the top 3 were so close.
view from the shires

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion