When A Club Has Direction And A Philosophy. (non WHU)

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

When A Club Has Direction And A Philosophy. (non WHU)

Postby Hammer.CA on Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:52 am

I lived in Dortmund for about 4 years, the Westfalen Stadion, as it was then, was 3 stops on the tram from my apartment. I used to go when I could so have always considered BVB as my second team. This was in the 80's when the ground held 54,000 and the club didn't win anything for years, they flirted with relegation quite often but they always had good support. The club nearly went bust in 2003, Bayern lent them 2 million Euro's to pay the players and staff and again in 2005
I've read a couple of articles about the club this morning when the suburb of Brackel was mentioned in the piece in the today's Mail, it's the training camp and if there are any ex army personnel reading this, the centre is the old RA camp that was formerly an airfield used by the Luftwaffe. Dortmund isn't one of the worlds great cities and it's certainly not one of the worlds main financial hubs but it shows what can be achieved with the right people in charge.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-6381651/Dortmund-plan-England-starlets-taking-Jadon-Sancho.html
Hammer.CA

Re: When A Club Has Direction And A Philosophy.

Postby sutts07 on Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:15 am

I have always considered them the 'Liverpool' of Germany to be honest. They have always been a huge club with a huge following and were particularly strong through the 90s.

They have won eight domestic titles and a Champions League and have had the biggest and best stadium in the German league with the highest attendances since the 70s.

They haven't just appeared from thin air due to good owners and if anything, they are underachieving when you look at Bayern's record.

I can imagine it is amazing there for a big game. Certainly on the bucket list.
sutts07

Postby Knighter10WHU on Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:19 am

Dortmund is next on my list of European football grounds to visit for sure - is it easy to get tickets for a run of the mill Bundesliga game? The way they promoted Jadon Sancho into the first team and gave him his chance when Man City wouldn't tells you everything you need to know about the club and the system in Germany.

Watched their game v Bayern at the weekend, superb match.
Knighter10WHU

Postby Slacking student on Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:46 am

They're certainly a lot easier to watch now Klopp isn't on the touchline
Slacking student

Postby MooresTheHero on Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:06 pm

Used to watch BvB in the early 80's when I was posted to Dortmund in the Army.
MooresTheHero

Postby Hammer.CA on Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:16 pm

sutts07 wrote:I have always considered them the 'Liverpool' of Germany to be honest. They have always been a huge club with a huge following and were particularly strong through the 90s.

They have won eight domestic titles and a Champions League and have had the biggest and best stadium in the German league with the highest attendances since the 70s.

They haven't just appeared from thin air due to good owners and if anything, they are underachieving when you look at Bayern's record.

I can imagine it is amazing there for a big game. Certainly on the bucket list.

Dortmund have a 'friendship' with Liverpool but so do a lot of German teams and Dortmund have a this fan inspired 'friendship' with a lot of clubs, HSV, Celtic (the most popular in my experience) RW Essen, 1860 Munich, Lazio and some others.
They certainly didn't have the highest attendances since the 70's, the ground was refurbished for the '74 World Cup and the capacity was reduced to 42,800 in 1992. I watched them in the period from 1980-84 and although the crowds were good games weren't always sold out. I missed the 11-1 win over Arminia Bielefeld in 1992 when they were top of the league because of a full and frank discussion with my ex, there were 34,000 there that day. The Parkstadion at Schalke, a terrible ground in an athletics stadium :shock: held just over 62,000 and the Olympic stadiums in Berlin and Munich were even bigger I think and just as bad then. I think HSV, 1FC Koln, VFB Stuttgart and Eintrach Frankfurts's grounds were bigger at that time as well, the last 3 having an athletics track in them which are now gone and the stadiums being PROPERLY adapted for football.
No club in Germany have the same amount of financial clout as Bayern, if you want real underachievers in the Bundesliga take a look at Schalke and the biggest underachievers of the lot HSV Hamburg.
Hammer.CA

Postby Hammer.CA on Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:18 pm

MooresTheHero wrote:Used to watch BvB in the early 80's when I was posted to Dortmund in the Army.

Who were you with? The training centre in Brackel is the old 22 AD camp just down from the Brackeler Hellweg. I had a video rental shop on Camp 7 just acroos from the NAAFI store there.
Hammer.CA

Postby il_martello_di_genovesi on Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:08 pm

Talented 19/20 year olds in the side every week playing football that you would be excited to turn up and watch every week. They’ve been through some tough times also. What they are building there is what we could’ve built from 97 onwards...and with Pellegrini in charge and the likes of Rice and Diangana playing regularly, the hope is that we will build something similar to Dortmund...
il_martello_di_genovesi

Postby Patito on Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:35 pm

Knighter10WHU wrote:Dortmund is next on my list of European football grounds to visit for sure - is it easy to get tickets for a run of the mill Bundesliga game?

Yes. I went back in 2015 for a match against Stuttgart, as long as you sort it earlyish there shouldn't be any issues getting hold of some tickets. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions if you like. :thup:
Patito

Postby Boooogers! on Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:01 am

Hammer.CA wrote:
Who were you with? The training centre in Brackel is the old 22 AD camp just down from the Brackeler Hellweg. I had a video rental shop on Camp 7 just acroos from the NAAFI store there.

I think I was born on that base back in 1983. My Dad and his brothers was in the Artillery (Missile Regiment?) in the early 80s...
Boooogers!

Return to General Discussion