Are we West Ham anymore?

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Re: Are we West Ham anymore?

Postby Up the Junction on Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:19 pm

clawhammer wrote:Do you have any evidence that 10,000 former STH have not renewed?

You've asked this before IIRC and have been given the answer.
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place

Postby Billydinho on Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:40 pm

NorthBankAlliance wrote:
Yeah imagine wanting to go to football and experience an atmosphere.

Paying all that money to sit in abject silence, fun :asleep:

Why is it one extreme or the other?

I go to support my club, the atmosphere is irrelevant to me. It doesn't make or break the game.

Oh, and the atmosphere was sh*t at Upton Park most weeks in my memory, barring the odd game. Got even worse when they moved the pitch and built the Dr Martens stand.
Billydinho

Postby Billydinho on Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:42 pm

SamBaughanWHUFC wrote:
thanks m8, better not let mr 25 years season ticket see this tho , he might have a heart attack! haha , will drop me down a space on the waiting list for my ST tho

i'm not real supporter (couldnt help the dig :scarfer: )

that boozer does look like a great boozer tho

One of them places no one knew existed until we moved, now everyone raves about it.

Still the same sh*thole it's always been.
Billydinho

Postby Ozza on Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:31 pm

Flogging our best player for buttons = 100% west ham
Ozza

Postby RichieRiv on Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:47 pm

Billydinho wrote:Oh, and the atmosphere was sh*t at Upton Park most weeks in my memory, barring the odd game. Got even worse when they moved the pitch and built the Dr Martens stand.

Everyone who was there agrees that the Ipswich play-off game was THE best atmosphere of the modern era. Other than that there was the odd game like the Millwall cup game where you could cut the atmosphere with a Stanley knife but other than there were some really dull lifeless games. In fact, I would say some of the atmospheres at games during the fizzy pop and Championship games were better than the Premier League and that was with smaller gates.

I just think peoples memories are poor.
RichieRiv

Postby Arch Dandy on Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:53 pm

RichieRiv wrote:I just think peoples memories are poor.

I agree, plus people change over the course of 15 years or more. People who loved going as 16 - 20 year old, home and away, cheaper prices and no responsibilities are going to have a completely different experience now they're in their 30s have to get 2 extra trains cos they have moved out to Essex and got to get up early to take their kids somewhere.
Arch Dandy

Postby goa127 on Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:55 pm

I agree Billy, it doesn't have to be one extreme or the other. The atmosphere at the OS CAN be good, but it is reactive. The Friday night we beat spurs it was rocking (so were the pubs after! it felt like real west ham that night. When the football's poor the OS is like a grave, but that applies to big grounds in general. It's no coincidence the plastic clappers are now creeping in to more grounds, but even everton fans are complaining at lack of atmosphere and they're still at their old ground. It's football Jim, but not as we know it :lol:
goa127

Postby RichieRiv on Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:33 pm

Arch Dandy wrote:I agree, plus people change over the course of 15 years or more. People who loved going as 16 - 20 year old, home and away, cheaper prices and no responsibilities are going to have a completely different experience now they're in their 30s have to get 2 extra trains cos they have moved out to Essex and got to get up early to take their kids somewhere.

I think you've hit on something. I seem to remember something posted on here a few years ago about the average age of ST Holders at the BG. I can't remember the exact numbers but the majority of ST holders were 40 or over, because they have the disposable income to be able to afford it.

As you say those in their 40's aren't going to be the same as those in their early 20's. If there aren't those in their 20's attending who's going to be making the noise. Now I am sure some smart arse will say that we have plenty of young'uns, however we have a missing generation from our BG days. Who is going to pass on the traditions?
RichieRiv

Postby Pentonville on Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:20 pm

RichieRiv wrote:
As you say those in their 40's aren't going to be the same as those in their early 20's. If there aren't those in their 20's attending who's going to be making the noise. Now I am sure some smart arse will say that we have plenty of young'uns, however we have a missing generation from our BG days. Who is going to pass on the traditions?

Ritchie, you are of course right about ageing ST holders, but that doesn't mean we don't make any noise. I'm in my (early) sixties and still enjoy a chant. Of course that is usually only at away games. In my seat in the upper East stand its as quiet as grave around me, and I'm usually just singing with my son (it is a bit embarrassing, but i am hopeful others might join in at some point). However, this was also the case in my seat in the upper East stand in the Boleyn; it could be very quiet up there too. I have also noticed that there does still seem to be plenty of 20 year olds going to away games, so thats a positive.
Pentonville

Postby Colours never run on Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:11 am

Arch Dandy and Richie are bang on in relation to making a point about the age/generational thing. People do naturally grow out of supporting the Club vocally like a turbo nutter but that doesn't mean they ain't passionate to the core for the Club still. Then you're relying on a younger generation to take up the baton and it does happen but it does feel as if there's a lot older element to the support during those years to now.
Colours never run

Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"

Postby RichieRiv on Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:12 am

Im not saying that as soon as you hit 40 thats it, more that the young and the carefree are different and noisier by their very nature.

If one positive can come out of this groumd its that ST have become more affordable for everyone including those in their 20s. It was getting ridiculous at the Boleyn with a distinct demographic.
RichieRiv

Postby westham,eggyandchips on Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:43 am

I don't like the term 'Tourists' aimed at people that have never attended games before and are maybe experiencing the OS for the first time.

I mean, we were all tourists once wasn't we?
westham,eggyandchips

Postby Colours never run on Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:50 am

RichieRiv wrote:Im not saying that as soon as you hit 40 thats it, more that the young and the carefree are different and noisier by their very nature.

If one positive can come out of this groumd its that ST have become more affordable for everyone including those in their 20s. It was getting ridiculous at the Boleyn with a distinct demographic.

That's the way I took you to mean it and totally agree.
Colours never run

Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"

Postby waynepin on Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:24 am

I've been to games palace in the play off final an example where you have such a knees up in the pub before the game you have lost your voice before the game, that must have happened to a few who drank in the Boleyn pub before games when you are with your mates and everyone is pumped up for a game, we don't have a player like a bonds or dicks that can get the crowd going with a crunching tackle, sometimes the crowd needs a lift to get going
waynepin

Postby steviechaz on Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:40 am

Going back to PP'S post (i don't have the technical skill to quote any part of it!)

I gave up on the bowl at the end of last of last season having missed only a handful of home games since 1976 and being a ST holder for most of that time.

Believe me it was a big decision to make with much agonising right up to the ST renewal cut off date. I thought I'd be fretting on a match day but that hasn't happened. I still follow the scores on Twitter and via goal alerts but something has gone.

I hate the Arsenal with a passion and will probably watch today's game on the box but the the old anticipation isn't there.

I've got every respect for those who do go but the whole experience wasn't for me. Not just the stadium (the view I'd probably got used to after 2 years) it was the whole experience. The walk to and from the station (I used to walk mainly from Leyton which was more interesting but still a pain) the clueless stewarding the searches (can understand why they are done) the general feeling of being there on sufferance meant that by the end I wasn't looking forward to going.

So there it is still a fan but alas a supporter no more.
steviechaz

Postby Doc H Ball on Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:46 pm

‘You’re Not Arsenal Anymore’ really cheered me up.
Doc H Ball

Postby Crouchend_Hammer on Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:48 pm

I tbought the atmosphere was pretty good over there today. Not amazing but certainly lively
Crouchend_Hammer

Postby pbenjy on Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:48 pm

Doc H Ball wrote:‘You’re Not Arsenal Anymore’ really cheered me up.

Made me chuckle as well
pbenjy

Postby Swindon Iron on Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:45 pm

Crouchend_Hammer wrote:I tbought the atmosphere was pretty good over there today. Not amazing but certainly lively

Yeah have to say I thought it was decent today.. for the bowl that is
Swindon Iron

Postby Smonnie on Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:48 pm

Clearly not West Ham. Just beat Arsenal and kept a clean sheet.
Smonnie

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion