Southgate to Man Utd possibly (non whu)

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Southgate to Man Utd possibly (non whu)

Postby bonzosbeard on Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:28 am

Oh please don't. You'll go from an unlikely hero to zero very quick.
At long last I've felt optimistic watching England.
bonzosbeard

Re: Southgate to Man Utd possibly (non whu)

Postby Crossd_Hammrs on Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:49 am

I thought he had more integrity than that.

I'm not sure his CV would be much better than old boy Giggs' though. Sure, Southgate has the World Cup part, but I don't know if that was really as impressive as it might look on paper - easy route, lost against the big teams he did play, were most goals from set pieces too? So still a bit unproven on that stage.
Also, he has no links with Man Utd, never played nor managed the Champions League. Never managed a top flight club either, has he?
EDIT
Fought relegation for two years then went down with Middlesbro 10 years ago.
Crossd_Hammrs

Postby Discobar on Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:26 am

Crossd_Hammrs wrote:I thought he had more integrity than that.

I'm not sure his CV would be much better than old boy Giggs' though. Sure, Southgate has the World Cup part, but I don't know if that was really as impressive as it might look on paper - easy route, lost against the big teams he did play, were most goals from set pieces too? So still a bit unproven on that stage.
Also, he has no links with Man Utd, never played nor managed the Champions League. Never managed a top flight club either, has he?

I'd say it's the progression and results after the world cup that ate much more impressive than the tournament its self. Anyway it's a load of crap. He won't be the next Manchester United manager
Discobar

Postby IronworksDave on Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:08 am

bonzosbeard wrote:Oh please don't. You'll go from an unlikely hero to zero very quick.
At long last I've felt optimistic watching England.

According to the Media he was on 1.8m and that increased to 3m with his new contract ... Utd could easily pay him three times that ... that's a pretty major incentive
IronworksDave

Postby Coops on Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:44 am

I think he will fail there, so it's a yes from me.
Coops

Postby the pink palermo on Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:25 am

Never, ever, in a million years is he the right candidate for Manchester United.

If they are even considering him, which I doubt, it's a clear sign of poor leadership at a senior level in that club.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin

Postby jacko on Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:30 am

the pink palermo wrote:Never, ever, in a million years is he the right candidate for Manchester United.

If they are even considering him, which I doubt, it's a clear sign of poor leadership at a senior level in that club.

Exactly what I was saying last night in the pub. Awful for Man U. They’d be better off sticking with Ole. But the people who make decisions at that club know nothing about that club.

And of course he’d take it because he’ll never get offered a job like that in all his life.
jacko

Postby ironilunga on Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:40 am

the pink palermo wrote:Never, ever, in a million years is he the right candidate for Manchester United.

Agreed,

Southgate surrounds himself and selects players for England who toe the line. He has the capacity to drop problem players at will. I am not so sure how he would get on running a full time premier league club where he has to deal with ego's such as Pogba's.

Done a great job for England but for me seems a little light weight for the cut and thrust of fulltime management in the prem.
ironilunga

Postby Puff Daddy on Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:56 am

They should stick with Olie Gunnar Solksjaer. 6 wins from 6 matches, he has got them playing the we expect them to play and he has got players who weren't turning up for Mourinho and other players, like Rashford who were scared to touch the ball before, now wanting the ball and are now playing
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton

Postby stu1 on Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:38 am

If ever I’ve seen a story which is lazy journalism this is it.

I doubt there is any truth to it at all.
stu1

Postby IronworksDave on Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:32 am

Puff Daddy wrote:They should stick with Olie Gunnar Solksjaer. 6 wins from 6 matches, he has got them playing the we expect them to play and he has got players who weren't turning up for Mourinho and other players, like Rashford who were scared to touch the ball before, now wanting the ball and are now playing

Talking with a Spuds fan he said something similar, he has no real confidence in Spuds challenging for the title, cups are where he thinks they will focus. So on the management front a defeat against Utd would obviously piss him off (and make me a few quid) plus it would be bad news for Arsenal and their chances of top four, and it would also make it almost impossible for Utd to pay Poch a fortune to replace Olie, the fans just wouldn't have it ....
IronworksDave

Postby jaybs on Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:07 am

What a Joke! are they so desperate, beyond me how he was given an award for not winning the world cup!
jaybs

Return to General Discussion