The Battle for 7th

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

The Battle for 7th

Postby dodger on Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:17 am

I know for many (myself included) the priority for the rest of this season is going as far as possible in the FA Cup, but we also have a genuine chance of 7th and probably Europe in the process. The League Cup will be won by a top 6 club and although it’s early days it’s likely the same will happen in the FA Cup (as it’s happened in 9 of the last 10 seasons), unless it’s us of course... Some may not want Europe after our last two ‘attempts’ but I always dream of us touring Europe and going far in a European club competition.

Man Utd and Arsenal in 5th/6th are not realistic targets, so it looks like from Brighton in 13th to Watford currently in 7th there are seven teams who could potentitally finish in 7th.

As it stand (Jan 15th):
Position, team, games played, goal difference, points.
7. Watford 22 - 0 - 32
8. Leicester 22 - +1 - 31
9. West Ham 22 - -2 - 31
10. Everton 22 - +2 - 30
11. Wolves 22 - -5 - 29
12. Bournemouth 22 - -11 - 27
13. Brighton 22 - -6 - 26

The above highlights how important our next two matches against Bournemouth and Wolves are.

This coming weekend:
Wolves vs Leicester
Bournemouth vs West Ham
Southampton vs Everton
Watford vs Burnley
Man Utd vs Brighton
Last edited by dodger on Sun Mar 03, 2019 12:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
dodger

Location: Scotland / London / Japan / somewhere in between the 3

Re: The Battle for 7th

Postby TommyHammer on Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:17 am

We need to be playing in Europe if we want to become a big club.
TommyHammer

Postby ironilunga on Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:35 am

I personally think it is only a matter of time until we rise to 7th in the table and I feel that we should comfortably finish in that position. More interesting to me is how close we can get to Arsenal and Man Utd. I already think we are the 7th best side in the division. However, how close we get to 5th and 6th will be interesting ahead of next season. They are our targets.
ironilunga

Postby davids cross on Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:38 am

Not sure the battle for 7th will go down in the history books....

But hey ho...

I'm up for it.

:)
davids cross

Postby hammerman11 on Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:40 am

7th would be good for us bearing in mind the injury list and it being pelle first season.

would take 16th and a FA cup win though !

to finish strongly we need to replace arnie and provide cover for DM and CB

Gomez
diarawa
shelve
cahill

That lot should get us to where we need to be.
European football on a regular basis is a sign that you are doing something right and not struggling. it also allows us to compete for better players.
Hammers on tour
hammerman11

Postby funky chicken on Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:47 am

The next 2 League games are a big indicator for us. Should be targeting no less than 4 points.

That will be our undoing IMO the dropped points against the teams around us and not only potentially losing our best player in Arnie, but not replacing him well.

I think it'll be between Watford, Wolves and Everton for 7th. Leicester could be contenders again too if they get rid of Puel. Brighton & Bournemouth I don't think will challenge.

Watford 'could' be weakened if they lose Doucoure.
Last edited by funky chicken on Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
funky chicken

Postby Aceface on Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:48 am

Reckon Carlos Sanchez probably settled that – Wolves have been best of the rest so far this season and will probably edge it by a point or two come season's end.

I'd have said we'll finish 8th but the Arnautovic stuff makes it a little hard to predict just now.
Aceface

Postby hammerman11 on Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:49 am

depends who we replace arnie with and whether we get a DM in
hammerman11

Postby S-H on Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:50 am

Although we have won without Arnie, I still feel he held a good presence in the team.

How well we do is pretty depended on whom we bring in as his replacement.
S-H

Postby hammerman11 on Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:52 am

agree and I don't want a 33 year old dzeko as a stop gap. time to push on and show intent !
hammerman11

Postby LeonRivers on Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:27 am

hammerman11 wrote:agree and I don't want a 33 year old dzeko as a stop gap. time to push on and show intent !

If a 33 y/o stop gap is enough to get us 7th, then I’m all for it. We can look for a long term solution in the summer.
LeonRivers

Postby szola on Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:29 am

Arnautovic has played a crucial part in 2018. Someone else would need to fill his boots from day one.

I'd have Everton as favourites, with Wolves and Leicester behind.
We've too many long term injuries for this season. It will catch up with us soon.
szola

Postby e17 on Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:30 am

I’d settle for top half with a few more games like the weekends

We’ll only lose to Astra thingyamy in the second round anyway
e17

Postby mumbles87 on Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:44 am

hammerman11 wrote:agree and I don't want a 33 year old dzeko as a stop gap. time to push on and show intent !

Over the years even the big big clubs have signed older players as a stop gap

Man united have signed Henrik Larson to get them over the line to win the league.. Zlatan Ibrahimović was an older signing.. sometime it isn't just about age

Henry for arsenal cheeky loan

Dzeko for 6 months providing we get someone young and up coming in the summer

never no MP could rate Silva that highly that he thinks he only needs Dzeko for 6 months and silva could be ready we don't know

but trust MP to make the calls.. he has been spot on with everything so far
mumbles87

Postby Sauce! on Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:45 am

If we finish 7th do we get a trophy or, more importantly, an open top bus parade through the Westfield?
Sauce!

Location: sitting on a bucket on a hamper in the corner of the old wigwam.

Postby Denzil on Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:49 am

We need to be playing European football if we want to get that bigger club mentality and attract some of the better players and widen our pool of targets. No reason why we can't finish 7th (two points from where we are now) and have a proper crack at the cup either. We've got the squad for it and will be the highest positioned club not playing midweek football as well (if we get into 7th soon).
Denzil

Postby westlondonhammer on Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:52 am

mumbles87 wrote:Over the years even the big big clubs have signed older players as a stop gap

Man united have signed Henrik Larson to get them over the line to win the league.. Zlatan Ibrahimović was an older signing.. sometime it isn't just about age

Henry for arsenal cheeky loan

Dzeko for 6 months providing we get someone young and up coming in the summer

never no MP could rate Silva that highly that he thinks he only needs Dzeko for 6 months and silva could be ready we don't know

but trust MP to make the calls.. he has been spot on with everything so far

Spot on

Manuel has done it before too... Ruud Van Nistelrooy at 35, Pires at 32, Lampard at 36
westlondonhammer

Postby Patito on Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:59 am

mumbles & WLH :thup:

Often it helps to have an experienced and reliable head in there to give a younger player a platform to play and improve without pressure too.
Patito

Postby Crouchend_Hammer on Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:00 am

Of course we all want the FA cup but finishing 7th and getting through to the League stages of the Europa League would be a huge leap forward.

It gives us fans something different to enjoy, makes us a little more atractive to possible transfers vs the likes of W Everton and Leicester, but most importantly it allows us to blood our youngsters and give squad players more game time [especially in the group stages] like Spurs did with Lane

If you can progress to knockout phase then that becomes really exciting for a club like ours and a QF or something like that would put us right back on the European map

Losing to Astra the second time round with quality of the team we put out was absolutely criminal IMHO and probably Bilic''s nadir
Crouchend_Hammer

Postby S-H on Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:02 am

Patito wrote:
Often it helps to have an experienced and reliable head in there to give a younger player a platform to play and improve without pressure too.

Absolutely.

We need to get the long term successor (to Arnie) right, so if we can sign an experienced stop gap now, and spend the rest of the season scouting and identifying the right players, rather than rush into it, then so be it.

It's the managers call at the end of the day, and I trust him 100%
S-H

Next

Return to General Discussion