The Battle for 7th

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Re: The Battle for 7th

Postby S-H on Mon Mar 11, 2019 3:46 pm

Completely agree, Crouchy.
S-H

Postby warp on Mon Mar 11, 2019 3:48 pm

LeonRivers wrote:Anyone that would happily see the club relegated to win a cup is a moron.

thanks!

now piss off.
warp

Location: I am everything about this site which is wrong... i don't give a toss about WHUFC.

Postby S-H on Mon Mar 11, 2019 3:49 pm

S-H

Postby Gsbgsb on Mon Mar 11, 2019 3:50 pm

brothernero wrote:My opinion is you are one of many that our owners pay to spread their propaganda and lies on West Ham United forums.

They did the same when they were at Birmingham. Some are clever and not easily spotted, some are like you and stand out like a sore thumb.

I know I am far from alone in thinking you are a club plant. Some are fooled by you, hopefully most are not.

Even your user name for crying out loud. :lol:

I am sorry you think that you are wrong.

I see a very distinct difference between a priority and a target and I have a view that disagrees with you as to what is sensible for the club to prioritise at particular times given its position at that time.

We will never progress properly with these owners, they just are not “next level” owners which is what we will need if we are to become a team who are not one of those whose worst case scenario year in year out is relegation as opposed to not finishing in a European place. You may not think relegation should be a possibility at the start of the season but in reality it is. Not to long ago many on here were still posting as to how following the Wolves game we might not get another point and still go down this season - not a view I agreed with either.

If and when we get those owners and relegation can be realistically discounted save for some disaster then there can be a sensible discussion as to whether the priority should be as higher league finish as possible or winning a cup

My views will not change irrespective of my user name which of course has nothing to do with the club.
Gsbgsb

Postby sicknote on Mon Mar 11, 2019 3:57 pm

LeonRivers wrote:Anyone that would happily see the club relegated to win a cup is a moron. The long-term damage to the club could be catastrophic.

What a pathetic post

Should we all go and support spurs too

If we won a cup and got relegated who cares , it’s recoverable, that day of glory will live with every one of us for life, trust me it’s worth every relegation , I’ve seen enough of them and been fortunate to see 2 cup wins, those 2 days are some the greatest days and memories of my life, as are some of the relegations if I’m honest , it’s not a pre requisite that to win a cup we have to go down as some seem to want to twist it, it’s that those 14 games it would take to reach and win both cup competitions, not saying we’d win both, I’m saying they should be as important as the games we sacrifice cup games to try and get three points in the league the following week
sicknote
Plumbing the depths

Postby brothernero on Mon Mar 11, 2019 4:02 pm

There is a Portsmouth fan who is the manager of one of my local bookies. Asked him before if he would have preferred to remain in the Prem but not had won a Cup.

Said he would not swap the Cup Final win for the world and still loves going to watch his team play.

To quote another thing he said "If we get back to the Premier League then great, but if we don't, then we don't. I go to watch Portsmouth play because they are my team and I love them, not really bothered who we are playing against"
Last edited by brothernero on Mon Mar 11, 2019 4:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
brothernero

Postby Gsbgsb on Mon Mar 11, 2019 4:03 pm

Crouchend_Hammer wrote:
But resting RIce and Anderson against a team at bottom of division 3 is not 'throwing' the cups as some people seem to suggest

Our first eleven was very strong that day given the opponents. Probably as strong a line-up as any top flight team would put out in that situation

We just made a number of individual errors that were punished. You could play that same match, with the same teams 20 times and we would win every one

Whilst I do not characterise it as “throwing” the cup game we had struggled against a 10 man Wimbledon in the league cup without the creativity Anderson offers and with Hernandez up front. Had they stayed at 11 we could have lost two ties in the same season so I am not so sure about the 20 from 20.

Yes our team should have been strong enough to easily beat them - but it should have been in both ties. For me the lessons of the league cup tie were not taken on board so the fight desire etc shown by Wimbledon should not have come as any surprise to the players but it did, in addition I do not understand why we rested from the start the true difference maker in the first game.
Gsbgsb

Postby Ozza on Mon Mar 11, 2019 4:08 pm

brothernero wrote:There is a Portsmouth fan who is the manager of one of my local bookies. Asked before him if he would have preferred to remain in the Prem but not had one a Cup.

Said he would not swap the Cup Final win for the world and still loves going to watch his team play.

To quote another thing he said "If we get back to the Premier League then great, but if we don't, then we don't. I go to watch Portsmouth play because they are my team and I love them, not really bothered who we are playing against"

Well said, floating around the premier league mid table area, maybe getting into Europe just so we can get turfed out at the first opportunity vs winning silverware...

No brainer, no real fan of this club would think any different.
Ozza

Postby S-H on Mon Mar 11, 2019 4:09 pm

brothernero wrote:

And that is how it should be.

The Premier League isn't the be all and end all.
S-H

Postby Crouchend_Hammer on Mon Mar 11, 2019 4:21 pm

Ozza wrote:
Well said, floating around the premier league mid table area, maybe getting into Europe just so we can get turfed out at the first opportunity vs winning silverware...

No brainer, no real fan of this club would think any different.

The trouble is, if you get relegated, you have got less chance of winning a cup

I don't really care much about what league we play in, but that is probably because up to now we have been fortunate in that we have only played in the top two divisions, and in fairly recent history i.e past 50 years we have been successful at getting back up to the top division fairly quickly, so Division 2 has been, mostly, a successful novelty for a couple of seasons

Some of the most enjoyable seasons i have experienced were the recent ones in the Championship, but all of them were seasons where we won most games and were competing for promotion or play offs. I think the championship would soon lose appeal if we were stuck in it for ten years or more like Forest

i would take an FA Cup win and relegation, for sure. But that doesn't lose sight of the fact that getting relegated could end up a bit of a stinker long term
Crouchend_Hammer

Postby TheHandOfDog on Mon Mar 11, 2019 4:37 pm

LeonRivers wrote:Anyone that would happily see the club relegated to win a cup is a moron. The long-term damage to the club could be catastrophic.

I'd happily see us fall a division or 2 for some FA cup glory. That day will be a day to behold, remaining in the premier league is not something to behold. What is so special about the premier league to you? The money definitely isn't helping us, Big Sam got us to a 10th league position finish in 12/13, since then we have had 6 years of premier league money coming in and still we aren't as good as Wolves who have only just returned to the top flight. Our owners are not going anywhere so neither will our club, a cup is the only chance I will have in my lifetime and im not even 30 yet, of seeing my club win something substantial.
TheHandOfDog

Postby warp on Mon Mar 11, 2019 5:12 pm

Crouchend_Hammer wrote:The trouble is, if you get relegated, you have got less chance of winning a cup

that's why the talk is about winning it before getting relegated! :wink:
warp

Location: I am everything about this site which is wrong... i don't give a toss about WHUFC.

Postby thejackhammer on Mon Mar 11, 2019 6:40 pm

We shouldn't be happy with a cup win and relegation because frankly we should aim higher.

Of course the likes of Wigan are happy to win the cup but go down because that's their day in the sun and the could conceivably never get another one.

If we won the cup but got relegated I'd be angry. I want us to be in with the chance to win the cup every year, if we're in Europe I want to see us at least make a fist of the group stage. If you're happy to have our day in the sun and then fade into obscurity like Wigan then that's down to you, but I think we're better than that.
thejackhammer

Postby hammer on on Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:17 pm

LeonRivers wrote:But Wolves [who lost twice to Huddersfield] can? :P

Hahah

Well the "cardiffs and burnleys" part was about our performance against the bottom half. I bet Wolves have a better record against teams sitting 10th and below
hammer on

Postby Phil S on Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:29 pm

:thdn:

The division we play in doesn't bother me
Having a go at winning the cup does

Regards
Mr Moron
Phil S

Postby chigwells finest on Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:42 pm

ive past the stage whether or not if I care where we finish in the league , Saturdays result told us that we will always be that up & down , who gives a toss for the battle for 7th , its either 1st or nothing imo . i'll never forget the 2 fa cup wins I went to , and the league cup final in 81( it felt like we'd won it ) why should I expect to be happy if my team finish 7-10th ….best football I ever watched was when we were in div 2 70's/80's
chigwells finest

Postby bubbles1966 on Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:54 pm

The club's been down four times in the last 30 years And we always end up back in the same position. As we will next time it happens, and the time after. Yet 1964, 1975 and 1980 are constant.

A cup win lasts forever, relegation doesn't.

It's better to have loved and lost......than sat at home all your life scrupulously counting your ha'pennies from your piggy bank.
bubbles1966

Location: Vincent van Gogh, cut his ear off, when they asked him why he said, "what?"

Postby wizzo_66 on Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:20 pm

Another moron here.

What nonsense.
wizzo_66

Postby Colours never run on Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:28 pm

Imbeciles, morons.. wind your ****ing neck in.

For what it's worth, I'd happily take a relegation if it definitely meant winning a Cup. The Premier League and riches ain't the be all and end all. In fact our last Cup triumph came in the 2nd Division, so it ain't something I'd personally fear.
Colours never run

Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"

Postby LeonRivers on Tue Mar 12, 2019 2:07 am

brothernero wrote:

S-H wrote:And that is how it should be.

The Premier League isn't the be all and end all.

When ‘we’ wanted rid of Allardyce it was because the football was boring.
I assume you’re all of the opinion that watching the likes of Jack Whatmough and Oliver Hawkins is going to be more exciting than watching Felipe Anderson and Marko Arnautovic.

What a pile of bull****. :lol:
LeonRivers

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion