West Ham Utd 3-1 Fulham (22/02/19)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

bristolhammerfc
Has liked: 212 likes
Total likes: 668 likes

Re: ⚽ West Ham Utd v Fulham: match thread (22/2)

Post by bristolhammerfc »

e17 wrote: Based on what? A ropey 45 minutes?

Not at all. Based on the fact that consistently this season, we have been exposed by his lack of pace in getting back to position from one of his forays up field.

As an attacking wing back, he's fine with 3 behind him but he leaves us open with a back four.

He reads the ball well, but players knock the ball into the space behind him and it drags the centre back into the full back position leaving either an overlap on the left as Cresswell moves to cover the centre or two on one in the middle. The ball is either played flat into the centre or over the head of Cresswell who has covered and we struggle to clear our lines.

The game has evolved to a point where pace at the back is key.
Big George
Has liked: 126 likes
Total likes: 279 likes

Post by Big George »

Slightly different topic.

I am not a big fan of sky buggering around with KO times, but I am warming to Friday night football. Much better than mondays or Saturday/Sunday lunchtimes.
Junco Partner
Location: Paquetta, he's played it through...and Bowen's in...ITS UP FOR GRABS NOW!"
Has liked: 564 likes
Total likes: 920 likes

Post by Junco Partner »

Tend to agree George, really enjoyed last night getting the beers and dodgy food into you right after work then straight to the match. Liked having the rest of the weekend 'free' too.

You can stick the lunchtime KO's where the sun don't shine, Saturday 3pm and 5:30pm are my preferred, but wouldn't mind at all a few more Friday nighters.
steps
Has liked: 108 likes
Total likes: 256 likes

Post by steps »

Poor old Zaba had a mare. Almost cost us a goal in the first minute of the game then got confused tracking players leading to a Fulham player squaring it to Babel for their goal. I’m baffled how Ryan Fredricks didn’t start for the off as he’s been playing well lately and it was a game against his old club.

Poor start but we picked it up, and good to see we’re getting better at scoring from corners. Hark back to a West Ham of a few years ago and that was probably our main threat.

Great to have Manu back, thought Pellegrini made the wrong sub though as Anderson was getting lots of joy down the left and we probably could of had a few more.

Agree on Friday night games, the next best thing after Saturday 3pms/5:30s. The beers went down well.
steps
Has liked: 108 likes
Total likes: 256 likes

Post by steps »

Oh and the handball, couldn’t see it from my end of the ground but no complaints for me as about time we had a slice of luck. The amount of pony decisions we’ve had against at that place is incredible.

And Fulham probably deserve to get relegated for having a red haired Ryan Babel in their team. Reminded my of that bloke who used to play for Bradford years ago (and always used to score against us.)
Last edited by steps on Sat Feb 23, 2019 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Italian Hammer
Total likes: 299 likes

Post by Italian Hammer »

True, Zaba had a mare in the first 5-10 minutes, but after that provided most of our attacking threat down the right flank with his overlapping runs.

Not a surprise that both of our first half goals came from corner won by Zaba.
chigwells finest
Location: crying with family/crying with strangers & just crying tbh
Has liked: 391 likes
Total likes: 159 likes

Post by chigwells finest »

steps wrote:Oh and the handball, couldn’t see it from my end of the ground but no complaints for me as about time we had a slice of luck. The amount of pony decisions we’ve had against at that place is incredible.

And Fulham probably deserve to get relegated for having a red haired Ryan Babel in their team. Reminded my of that bloke who used to play for Bradford years ago (and always used to score against us.)

looked like a swan vesta
James P
Has liked: 28 likes
Total likes: 177 likes

Post by James P »

Italian Hammer wrote:Not a surprise that both of our first half goals came from corner won by Zaba.
Two West Ham goals from corners in one half of football is more than surprising!!
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1986 likes
Total likes: 1666 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

James

2 goals directly or indirectly in one SEASON would be surprising to me

:D
WestHamByTheSea
Location: Turning the TV off, making some tea, and saying modern life well it's rubbish...

Post by WestHamByTheSea »

Watched the handball again several times and I genuinely can't tell if it was deliberate or not.

One thing's for sure - it was nowhere as blatant as Callum Wilson's against us Boxing Day 2017, and that generated far less piety from the media and pundits than Chicarito's; indeed the BBC guys on Final Score all had a good laugh about it as did Wilson and his interviewer right after the game.
Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing
Has liked: 336 likes
Total likes: 357 likes

Post by Clacton-ammer »

Oppo view in the main is a good one - bar one numpty about them/Tottenham :lol: , we have been there so do feel for them (a bit).

I personally think lil pea meant it, I don't particularly like it, but f*** me we have been on the end of some bad ones. VAR wold have sorted it out, but that's next season...
YorksHammer
Has liked: 383 likes
Total likes: 1415 likes

Post by YorksHammer »

steps wrote:Oh and the handball, couldn’t see it from my end of the ground but no complaints for me as about time we had a slice of luck. The amount of pony decisions we’ve had against at that place is incredible.
I was having this discussion with a friend at the weekend, and they took this stance - i.e. we've had our share of bad refereeing decisions this season and deserved one going our way.

The thing is, I don't see it like that - Hernandez handled one in. It's cheating. It's not a case of him being a yard offside when nodding in cleanly and us getting the rub of the green, it's just flat out rule breaking, and I feel pretty ashamed to see it from one of our players. I feel the same when I see one of ours diving.
wivenhoetim
Has liked: 23 likes
Total likes: 25 likes

Post by wivenhoetim »

..not sure if already mentioned on here, but loved Antonios response to the Hernandez goal being shown not once but twice on the big screen. Pretty much, why are you showing that! Get it off..then it comes up again. :D Very funny guy..
mike1961
Total likes: 32 likes

Post by mike1961 »

I don't know whether the handball was deliberate or not, but the problem is that Hernandez has form for cheating (diving). I won't be sorry to see him go and be replaced by a player who stays on his feet rather than go down as soon as he is touched.
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 144 likes
Total likes: 2406 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

I love Snoddy, but he is a master at going to ground easily to win freekicks. He has a stock falling position where he barges into a player and then thrusts himself forward off his left foot
He got given some on Friday, but referee also waved away quite a few. I am surprised he wasn't given a yellow
SiamHammer
Has liked: 1075 likes
Total likes: 199 likes

Post by SiamHammer »

wivenhoetim wrote:..not sure if already mentioned on here, but loved Antonios response to the Hernandez goal being shown not once but twice on the big screen. Pretty much, why are you showing that! Get it off..then it comes up again. :D Very funny guy..
Looks like he is enjoying himself again & it's showing in his performances :scarfer:
Aceface
Has liked: 376 likes
Total likes: 1472 likes

Post by Aceface »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote:I love Snoddy, but he is a master at going to ground easily to win freekicks.
I'm confident in saying no player in world football looks so consistently aggrieved at being called for a foul as Snonaldo. Others might react more strongly at individual moments, but for sheer metronomic outrage and disbelief that a referee believes he may have infringed, no-one can touch him.

His all-time hero isn't a footballer, it's Charlton Heston and his sand-pounding turn at the end of Planet of the Apes.
HammerAl
Total likes: 397 likes

Post by HammerAl »

Oh well. We should have had 5 penalties from their keeper pushing Herhandez at every corner. There was also a handball by Havard in the first half which stopped the ball going through to Snoddy for a one on one. We deserve a bit of luck.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1986 likes
Total likes: 1666 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote:I love Snoddy, but he is a master at going to ground easily to win freekicks. He has a stock falling position where he barges into a player and then thrusts himself forward off his left foot
He got given some on Friday, but referee also waved away quite a few. I am surprised he wasn't given a yellow
it's called The Mark Noble Syndrome

8-)
psychoscoredthelot
Has liked: 82 likes
Total likes: 201 likes

Post by psychoscoredthelot »

loved antonios after match comments