West Ham Utd 3-1 Fulham (22/02/19)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

comebackjoecole

Re: ⚽ West Ham Utd v Fulham: match thread (22/2)

Post by comebackjoecole »

How can anyone put Antonio in their starting XI???

I think I watch a different game to everyone else.
Sir_Trevor
Has liked: 274 likes
Total likes: 352 likes

Post by Sir_Trevor »

comebackjoecole wrote:How can anyone put Antonio in their starting XI???

In the last game he won the penalty and in the previous one, he scored. I don't think I need say any more.
Aceface
Has liked: 376 likes
Total likes: 1472 likes

Post by Aceface »

The interesting thing I've observed with Antonio is the radically different way he's perceived by other supporters depending on what they're used to with their own clubs.

If you watch a game with supporters of a club in the top 3 or 4, they all instantly and immediately pick him out as the weak link. I watched a game with a bunch of Man City fans a month or so back and they were savage about him. Because his general footballing skills are miles below anyone they've seen playing for them in years, so a move breaking down because a simple ball richochets off his shin sticks out like a sore thumb.

But you watch him with someone from the likes of a Palace or Watford fan, or a championship club, and generally they'll pick him out as one of our better players, because that's what you like to see when quality is less on display: a premium on physicality, big effort and lung-busting runs, moments where he merks his marker – Antonio is a player of small victories that ultimately don't particularly lead to much, which essentially is the story of supporting a run-of-the-mill club – and ball control is not something which is so immediately disqualifying nor particularly stands out.

I don't have any greater point tbh. I first noticed it happening late last season and it's only been re-inforced since. Quite amusing once you pick it up.
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2499 likes
Total likes: 4403 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

It's true that if you're used to watching Henry, Berbatov, Aguero etc , you're likely to have a very different idea of what's acceptable. It's also why players like Cullen get rave reviews at league 1/2 level.

I think Antonio has had a bit of a renaissance over the last three months. His all round game is better - his stamina, his pass/shot selection, his defensive effort - it's all tangibly better and less erratic.
TheHandOfDog
Has liked: 542 likes
Total likes: 463 likes

Post by TheHandOfDog »

Agreed, he is showing more in the last few games, he was rubbish though before then. Good to see him growing in confidence again, he would be in my team for Fulham for sure.
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 856 likes
Total likes: 2016 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

Aceface wrote:Antonio is a player of small victories that ultimately don't particularly lead to much, which essentially is the story of supporting a run-of-the-mill club
He has more assists this season than every other player bar Snodgrass.
fmgod
Has liked: 50 likes
Total likes: 134 likes

Post by fmgod »

Basically while Antonio looks clueless he is effective, he has more assists than Zaha and only two less goals while starting seven less games and not playing upfront. He is massively baffling as he looks like he should be playing League Two but through his work rate and physicality he comes up with the goods quite often
Paolopaul
Has liked: 9 likes
Total likes: 296 likes

Post by Paolopaul »

I've never understood the dislike of antonio - I think he's a good player and really enjoy watching him play. He's not technically great but he's strong and unpredictable, and very direct. Can score a few headers as well, which can't be said for many players in our team.
Het-Field
Location: Its great to be Irish, but its a miracle to be a Dub
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 317 likes

Post by Het-Field »

Paolopaul wrote:I've never understood the dislike of antonio - I think he's a good player and really enjoy watching him play. He's not technically great but he's strong and unpredictable, and very direct. Can score a few headers as well, which can't be said for many players in our team.
The issue is that his form has been patchy for roughly two years. 2016 was his year, and it looked like we unearthed a serious gem. A goal scorer and creater who could beat his man in an unorthodox way. His England call up was the icing on the cake, as was his run of goals. Between fitness issues, and form, I think people became less and less convinced. However, I feel recently he has shown some glimpses of his old form, and think his contribution this term has been significantly better.
TommyHammer
Has liked: 101 likes
Total likes: 575 likes

Post by TommyHammer »

Been one of our most improved players this season. I'm the first one to give him stick but he really is playing like the 15/16 Antonio again, which is probably due to Pellegrini.

I'd play him against the 'bigger' sides as his work rate, power and pace can cause damage. For smaller sides though, my preferred option (when fit) would be Yarmolenko with his greater technical ability and football intelligence.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1986 likes
Total likes: 1666 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

seems according to our mates over at * & * that Perez won't figure in any games now - apparently wasn't in Spain ?

that means 12 more games of AC starting somewhere or off the bench

:asleep:

hope they're wrong...
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 236 likes
Total likes: 2575 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

Is Nasri still injured? I've just looked at the pics from Day 1 in Spain, and the video from day 2, and can't see him anywhere
Hammersfaniow
Has liked: 7 likes
Total likes: 33 likes

Post by Hammersfaniow »

Burnley Hammer wrote:Is Nasri still injured? I've just looked at the pics from Day 1 in Spain, and the video from day 2, and can't see him anywhere
He didn’t travel to Spain due to injury. Perez also didn’t travel to Spain, but stayed and trained with the U-23’s (attitude related apparently)
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 813 likes
Total likes: 3033 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

I can't kick it as far as Antonio's first touch.

Poor decision making, poor first touch but a good strong ball carrier up the pitch.

He's an off the bench player for me.

As for Friday, I think we'll stuff them. If we don't we have serious issues.

I'd expect to see Lanzini around the hour mark.
szola
Has liked: 590 likes
Total likes: 353 likes

Post by szola »

the pink palermo wrote:I can't kick it as far as Antonio's first touch.
Poor decision making, poor first touch but a good strong ball carrier up the pitch.
From his posts on Social Media he seems as a funny and good lad to be around. He comes across well.

As for his football, I agree with Pinky.
It's his physical ability that makes him a good asset for us.
It's his lack of footballing ability that makes him a liability to us.

Pellegrini has found something that Bilic did for a time.
A Happy Michail.

His contribution in the last games has been very good, I'd like the manager to keep his faith in him.
artlin

Post by artlin »

When is this game happening?

Seems like years since we last played!!
Hammer Sandwich

Post by Hammer Sandwich »

artlin wrote:When is this game happening?

Seems like years since we last played!!
Someone said that next match will be 41 days since our last win ! :o
kitthehammer
Has liked: 74 likes
Total likes: 302 likes

Post by kitthehammer »

re antonio, i seem to remember everyone slagging off snoddy for a long while. I think it's simply that players
go in and out of form. Antonio was great, went off, is picking up again. Simple really. I know one thing, he scares the crap out of the opposition and if he were playing against us we couldn't handle him.
His unpredictability is an asset as is his strength and enthusiasm, and personality off the pitch (and on it lol)
He may not be great every match but i always find it funny how we become blind to mistakes by crowd favourites, but I'd much rather he played for us than someone else.
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6759 likes
Total likes: 2352 likes

Post by Colours never run »

Pellegrini does. Almost every game.
Patito

Post by Patito »

The guy who used to work for us confirms Lanzini should be available for selection against Fulham. :thup: