The abandoned march: one year on

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Re: The abandoned march: one year on

Postby ironsonthebrain on Tue Mar 12, 2019 2:25 pm

Northbank Bar wrote:I have always believed that the fans will organise again.It is just a matter of time until someone picks up the baton.

Difficult to see it happening at the moment mate, the fans have been divided along political lines and it would take something of immense proportions for fans to forget their major differences and come together.

Cannot see me ever having to do with the thugs of the 'Real' group seeing as being a member of WHUISA makes me a target for violence in their eyes.
ironsonthebrain

Postby Johnny_C WHU on Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:10 pm

Interesting to hear the news from sources at the club over the last few days.

The rationale for the move included introducing affordable football to families and generating enough income to be in a competitive environment at the top end of the Premier League.

I have heard that the season ticket prices have skyrocketed and there are rumours of a proposed £25m transfer budget. I would expect that budget at UP.

Can people now see why the protest was important?

I understand the board heavily invested last year but did they spend from next seasons budget?
How can a club that now holds 60,000 odd supporters and a passionate fanbase (merchandise sales) have a smaller transfer budget than Bournemouth? I know that Bournemouth have a sugar daddy but I have never heard any other club claim the rationale for small budgets is down to Fair Play?

People have suggested that by selling Arnie, Chica, Arthur etc. we can generate nearly £100m and will have more wage budget but the number of players that need replacing will equate to something like £10m a player (10 Hugills).

This is what we are now accepting and justifying and it makes me sick.
Johnny_C WHU

Postby Hammer.CA on Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:29 pm

mushy wrote:
There really was no need to collect any money at all last time out, the requirement was for bodies to march and they got those easily. They didn't need money for leaflets etc, social media takes care of all of that these days.

Unless you wanted to be in the movies. :wink:
Hammer.CA

Postby Graza on Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:46 pm

Johnny_C WHU wrote:
I understand the board heavily invested last year but did they spend from next seasons budget?

This is what we are now accepting and justifying and it makes me sick.

They simply used some (by no means all) of the cash they hadn't been spending over the previous 3 seasons.

Make no mistake, if we don't match last year's net spend we will be fighting relegation and the likes of Lanzini, Anderson and Rice (who will have his head turned on entering an England camp) will be off.
Graza

Postby Johnny_C WHU on Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:30 pm

Completely agree.

I was trying to aim a point at those who said that there was a change in the boards approach; it clearly was orchestrated to appease fans after the previous season events.

We have serially failed to invest in the team over many seasons. The summer window was certainly the exception and the general feel was it was investment made over the previous windows lack of cash injection. Problem is, we are now back to type. £25m is a pitiful budget and i would argue that there has been championship clubs with a bigger budget.

So, why move?
Affordable football and signing world class players. Not going to get many world class players for £25m

as mentioned the sales argument is frustrating because we clearly need a large squad and if we sell 10 players we would need to bring in at least 7. Not much change from the figures quoted for our players.
Johnny_C WHU

Postby Colours never run on Thu Mar 14, 2019 5:31 am

This £25m summer budget rumour still being peddled out as gospel? I just don't believe it for a second. If it was anywhere near that amount, Pellegrini would rightly **** off sharpish, as would many fans in protest the following season. They wanna raise prices, they have to keep spending big to justify it or face another nasty backlash.
Colours never run

Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"

Postby aaronhammer on Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:51 am

The finances just don’t add up to only have a £25m transfer budget - unless we’re either keeping loads back to have an increased budget the following year (seems a strange method) or G&S are repaying a large chunk of their outstanding loans - which is a possibility but again unlikely as that would reduce the interest they’re taking, instead of receiving any salary/dividends.
aaronhammer

Postby Croydon on Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:23 pm

More worryingly is if it really is £25m, who is MP going to have to sell to add to the kitty?

Manu? Anderson? Diop?
Croydon

Postby iLoveLasagne on Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:35 pm

Croydon wrote:More worryingly is if it really is £25m, who is MP going to have to sell to add to the kitty?

Manu? Anderson? Diop?
Arnie plus 2 or 3 fringe players alone could give us a healthier looking amount. Probably nowhere near enough though still.
iLoveLasagne

Postby Croydon on Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:58 pm

iLoveLasagne wrote:Arnie plus 2 or 3 fringe players alone could give us a healthier looking amount. Probably nowhere near enough though still.

I think we're kidding ourselves if we think we can shift our fringe players for any decent amount. They're on our periphery for a reason and we're not exactly blessed with talent. That's not even taking into account that we would have to replace these players.

I do hope we can shift Arnie for a reasonable amount, but honestly, anyone watching him/us since January will know they can knock a few quid off.

Unfortunately, I can only see extra funds coming in from the sale of our better players .
Croydon

Previous

Return to General Discussion