Transfer news and rumours

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Re: Transfer news and rumours

Postby Patito on Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:18 pm

YorksHammer wrote:I think Hector Herrera is available on a 'free' from Porto this summer as his contract expires. He would completely change the game in our midfield.

Would be an outstanding signing on a free. Chicharito would probably put him off though...
Patito

Postby sanchoz on Tue Mar 12, 2019 5:24 pm

The MFF talent is being chased by classic clubs in England

Several of Malmö FF 's young giant talents have in recent years left the club to become (youth) professionals abroad.

Last in the line may be the 17-year-old inner midfielder Amel Mujanic with 17 boy and junior national matches on his resume.

Mujanic belongs to MFF's U19 team but was on the a-team training camp in Marbella and sat on the bench when a b-stressed MFF met Brentford a week ago.

However, he has not been offered an apprenticeship contract with the a-team yet.

Buddy with Rosenberg
- Amel thrives in Malmö and wants to be fought for a place in the a-troupe. But if he does not get a chance in Malmö, we have to find another solution, says his agent, Croatian old great player Ivan Klasnic.

Both Leeds and West Ham should be interested in acquiring Mujanic.

- There is interest from other countries than England too, says Klasnic.

But the agent is annoyed.

- I have tried to contact the sports manager, Mr Andersson, but he does not answer either on the phone or on my SMS. It is very frustrating. I don't know how they think about Amel. I even played with Markus Rosenberg in Werder Bremen and we still have contact, Klasnic says.

https://www.aftonbladet.se/sportbladet/ ... -i-england
sanchoz

Location: Founder of the Carlton Cole Fan Club - Rainham & Guildford Branch

Postby Puff Daddy on Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:16 am

Today's 'Mirror' reports we COULD move for Maxi Gomez in the summer. OK, he's been playing in a struggling team this year, but he's hardly been prolific this season, so I don't know about him now Think I would prefer somebody who has been amongst the goals. That Zapata is the one I'd like
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton

Postby YorksHammer on Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:01 pm

I think, as with all of these players, it comes down to them fitting in our system, and Pellegrini's system, more than how good they currently are. I think that's why someone like Hernandez, for example, isn't as effective for us as he could be, and someone like Arnie was effective for us - they're very different players.

The same is true of Zapata and Gomez. Zapata is a lot more of a poacher type, getting most of his goals from within 12 yards of the goal, and looks to stick up top. He has some hold up play, but is less likely to work a channel to create a chance, or run deep to pick the ball up, from what I've seen. He's more Hernandez, even if he is a more muscular Hernandez.

Gomez is more Arnautovic - he'll work the ball out wide, he'll come deep to pick it up and play it out to start attacks, and he creates his own chances from his movement and peeling off defenders to create himself some space. At least, that's what I see.

When you add in things like age - Gomez is only 22, five years younger than Zapata - and that Zapata is thriving now in a very free scoring Atalanta side - the only team with more than them in Serie A is Juventus - while Gomez is doing his work in a less front foot Celta Vigo side, I would lean towards Gomez being the better option for our team, in our style, and given what we would expect to need in our position.

Ultimately, I suspect we'd be happy with either leading the line - I just personally think that from what I've seen Gomez suits how we play more.
YorksHammer

Postby FAH_1973 on Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:51 pm

We are likely going to need to sign 3 strikers in the summer if as expected Arnie, Chica and Perez are sold and Carroll released. Not sure how much we will recoup for those three- but the mooted budget of £25m would get us 2 and half Jordan Hugills!!!
FAH_1973

Postby EastleighHammer16 on Wed Mar 13, 2019 3:32 pm

FAH_1973 wrote:We are likely going to need to sign 3 strikers in the summer if as expected Arnie, Chica and Perez are sold and Carroll released. Not sure how much we will recoup for those three- but the mooted budget of £25m would get us 2 and half Jordan Hugills!!!

Good thing we still own 1 Jordan Hugill then! That saves us a bit.
EastleighHammer16

Postby Kev59 on Wed Mar 13, 2019 3:38 pm

FAH_1973 wrote:We are likely going to need to sign 3 strikers in the summer if as expected Arnie, Chica and Perez are sold

Of those three, I'd say the one most likely to stay is Arnie. I genuinely don't see a queue forming for him, so unless the Chinese come back in for him, where's he going to go?

£25m is before sales (allegedly). I think we'll get a fee for Hernandez, Perez, Hugill, Obiang and Arthur. £60m'ish in the kitty and some big wages freed up. We need a LB, CM * 2 and a proper striker (or two). Expect us to go for quality in purchases, then loans to fill out.
Kev59

Postby Patito on Wed Mar 13, 2019 3:56 pm

Yorks - How much have you seen of Zapata? I ask because he's nothing like Hernandez at all....
Patito

Postby YorksHammer on Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:40 pm

Patito wrote:Yorks - How much have you seen of Zapata? I ask because he's nothing like Hernandez at all....

Much less than I suspect some have, I must admit - only really follow Palermo in Italy, so have been watching more Serie B than Serie A recently. Have caught a couple of Atlanta games since Christmas - notable from a Zapata point of view the one where he got four against Frosinone. I honestly thought that he was teed up a lot to score in that game, and just poaching in the right place - headers, first time shots, that sort of thing. Was more impressed with Illicic and Gomez playing around him, if I'm being completely honest about it.

I think it's more the instinct I was thinking of when saying Hernandez - give him the ball in the right position and he seems ready to finish it with one/two touches. Didn't really see him involved in much build up play, which strikes me as being very Hernandezian.

But happy to be told I'm wrong by those who have seen him more - it's all opinions, I suppose, particularly from my side where I've seen less of what he does on a week to week basis.
YorksHammer

Postby Peaches on Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:41 pm

We will need a massive overhaul in the summer.
We will be set for a starting goalie as Fabianski is as good as they come, however we need a stopgap at 2nd choice before Trott and or Anyang step up.
In spite of Ferdericks’ mare against Cardiff, I think we are ok at right back with the resurgence of Fredericks and emergence of Ben Johnson.
We will need at least one centre back as Reid and Ogbonna are both 31 at the start of next season, and that is if a Reid can still play regularly at this level. We will need to replace/ upgrade Masuaku with a more defensively oriented left back.
We desperately need a box to box midfielder.
We are ok at attacking/ creative midfielder / winger with The return of Lanzini, Nasri, returning Yarmolenko, Anderson, Antonio, Snodgrass, and Diangana. You could say we are overstocked here if Wilshere is ever able to play 20 matches and if you include our talented loanees Browne, Haksobanovich and Fernandes.
Up front we could and should get rid of Arnautovic, Perez, Chicharito and Carroll. They are all going to be the wrong side of 30 at the start of next season and collectively suck almost half a million quid a week in wages.

So in summary we need a 2nd choice goalie, a centre back, a left back, at least one box to box midfielder and possibly as many as 3 strikers.
There are some easy solutions. Gomez’s buyout clause drops to €25 million if Celta Vigo are relegated.
Milan are looking to shift Franck Kessie and Andre Silva for a combined €60 to €65 million. That is €85 to €90 million (or £75million) for two top strikers who are still getting better and will only be 23 at the start of the season, and a borderline world clas 23 year old box to box midfielder. We should be able to recover a good chunk of that from the sales of Arnautovic (£35m), Chicharito (£8m), Perez (£4m) and Hugill (£7m).
We should have more than enough off the wage bill to make a strong play for Hecto Herrera on a free.

We would still need a left back, centre back and perhaps another striker, but Kessie, Hererra, Silva and Gomez would really strengthen our spine and freshen our attack. A central midfield with two or all 3 of Rice, Kessie and Herrera would be one of the strongest in the league.

Our starting XI of
Fabianski
Fredericks Balbuena Diop Cresswell
Kessie Rice
Yarmolenko Lanzini Anderson
Gomez

Would be top 8 without doubt and we’d still have Antonio, Nasri, Andre Silva and Diangana as attacking options and Snodgrass, Noble and Herrera as midfield options.
Peaches

Postby HammerAl on Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:54 pm

Peaches wrote:Our starting XI of
Fabianski
Kessie Rice
Gomez

Would be top 8 without doubt.

Still need upgrades at full back. Fredericks and Cresswell aren't good enough for the top half of the PL. I really rate Yarmolenko but that team lacks pace, especially without Arnie as well. Would like to see us go in for Brahimi (finally) on a free.
HammerAl

Postby Patito on Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:24 pm

YorksHammer wrote:
Much less than I suspect some have, I must admit - only really follow Palermo in Italy, so have been watching more Serie B than Serie A recently. Have caught a couple of Atlanta games since Christmas - notable from a Zapata point of view the one where he got four against Frosinone. I honestly thought that he was teed up a lot to score in that game, and just poaching in the right place - headers, first time shots, that sort of thing. Was more impressed with Illicic and Gomez playing around him, if I'm being completely honest about it.

I think it's more the instinct I was thinking of when saying Hernandez - give him the ball in the right position and he seems ready to finish it with one/two touches. Didn't really see him involved in much build up play, which strikes me as being very Hernandezian.

But happy to be told I'm wrong by those who have seen him more - it's all opinions, I suppose, particularly from my side where I've seen less of what he does on a week to week basis.

No-one is wrong Yorks just opinions :thup:

Ilicic and Gomez who you mentioned are still top players at the peak of their game, so I am not surprised they stood out, both having fantastic seasons.

For me, Zapata's a mobile yet big and strong forward who can hold up play, a good dribbler of the ball too. He's got everything you'd want from a modern day striker, just needs to improve his consistency, although he's doing that this season.

He scores a wide range of goals too, headers, tap-ins, volleys, long range strikes with power and placement, then goals like this.....

Patito

Postby Patito on Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:29 pm

Peaches wrote:Milan are looking to shift Franck Kessie and Andre Silva for a combined €60 to €65 million.

If Kessie is doable for us we should do everything within reason to get him. Exactly what we need.
Patito

Postby hammer1975 on Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:37 pm

If Maxi Gomez release clause drops to €25m due to Celta Vigo relegation I doubt that means we can get him for €25m. It more likely means loads more clubs competing for him and (perversely) higher chance we actually don’t get him....imo
hammer1975

Postby fmgod on Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:37 pm

Kessie plays week in week out for Milan, not sure why they would want rid..... Silva will probably go but for 30 mil he is beyond a gamble, started well at Sevilla then tailed off, think he has only actually scored in about six league games.
fmgod

Postby Ribbot on Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:57 pm

Peaches wrote:Our starting XI of
Fabianski
Kessie Rice
Gomez

Beleiving that Yarmo will ever return to our starting XI is a bit premature. The percentages for pro footballers returning to previous levels after an Achilles tear makes grim reading.
Ribbot

Postby Patito on Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:57 pm

fmgod wrote:Kessie plays week in week out for Milan, not sure why they would want rid..... Silva will probably go but for 30 mil he is beyond a gamble, started well at Sevilla then tailed off, think he has only actually scored in about six league games.

It will be to do with FFP
Patito

Postby The Old Man of Storr on Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:40 pm

Could be wrong of course , I was once back in 1978 but I've got a feeling that Marko Arnautociv might be with us next season .
The Old Man of Storr

Postby Hamburger on Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:30 am

It's going to be a tough window this summer, probably not unlike the Bilic era. The club is going to make a loss and they won't be digging deep again. Players will have to be sold and we have at least 6 that have to go (plus another 6 already out on loan?). I can't see us being able to sell a dozen players in one window or buying 6 in which means we can't afford the 2 new strikers, 2 midfielders and 2 defenders of decent quality which we desperately need. I'm feeling stressed already knowing that so many targets will turn us down and the Dave's will lose more with barrow boy bargaining. We have no liquidity at the moment so speculating on early buying is pointless. It looks like freebies, loans and has-beens again until we sell.

It was a good window last year but the signs are we cannot keep up that momentum and with some of our better players unhappy, it's difficult to be optimistic. I just hope that Husillos can work some magic and that 2 or 3 Academy lads can step up too.
Hamburger

Postby China Block on Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:23 am

Hamburger wrote:.
It was a good window last year but the signs are we cannot keep up that momentum and with some of our better players unhappy, it's difficult to be optimistic. I just hope that Husillos can work some magic and that 2 or 3 Academy lads can step up too.

Long time lurker, first time poster.

What are these "signs' you talk about? Did I miss some statement or something. It's always hard to get top quality players onboard, it's the same for every team a part from a handful. We've got a world class manager that players seem to want to play for and plus a DF that knows his stuff and can find us a gem or 2. Pellers would definitely have a minimum yearly budget built into his contract, we're moving in the right direction for once.

One of our better players has just openly come out and said he wants to stay and become a West Ham legend, what more do people want. I know we're West Ham and the weather is s*** back home but lets start looking up not down.
China Block

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion