West Ham Utd 4-3 Huddersfield Town (16/03/19)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 144 likes
Total likes: 2406 likes

Re: ⚽West Ham Utd v Huddersfield Town: match thread (16/3)

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

The difference in our Home and Away form is like chalk and cheese
Huddersfield will finish 15 points lower than Cardiff
Being confident about beating Huddersfield at home is not ignoring or dismissing what happened at Cardiff away

Of course there is no guarantee we will win, but our odds for winning will be a lot skinnier than they were for Cardiff away, and rightly so
Ladzini

Post by Ladzini »

Strange that Fredericks is being dug out here given both goals were down to a lack of communication between Cresswell and Ogbonna either on the overlap (1st goal) or inside our own box (2nd).

Snodgrass Hernandez and Noble were all very poor and Anderson was just getting kicked off the park.

Need to be attacking from minute 1 and get an early goal.

Fabianski
Fredericks - Diop - Balbuena - Cresswell
Rice Noble
Antonio Lanzini Anderson
Arnautovic.

Obiang not good enough to replace Noble unfortunately but we do not need 3 in the middle at home against Huddersfield.
Patito

Post by Patito »

Fredericks made mistakes for both goals. He wasn't the only one though.
Ladzini

Post by Ladzini »

Patito wrote:Fredericks made mistakes for both goals. He wasn't the only one though.
The second he was involved yes, but the first goal came from a ball in behind Cresswell, where Ogbonna had come out aswell, leaving Diop as the only centreback to contest the box against two Cardiff attackers.
Patito

Post by Patito »

Ladzini wrote: The second he was involved yes, but the first goal came from a ball in behind Cresswell, where Ogbonna had come out aswell, leaving Diop as the only centreback to contest the box against two Cardiff attackers.
Junior Hoilett (the left winger) was being marked by Fredericks. He ghosted past Fredericks and Diop to get to the front post. There is no way the left winger of the opposition should be getting to the right hand side front post ahead of the right back and centre back.
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 144 likes
Total likes: 2406 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

Patito wrote:

Junior Hoilett (the left winger) was being marked by Fredericks. He ghosted past Fredericks and Diop to get to the front post. There is no way the left winger of the opposition should be getting to the right hand side front post ahead of the right back and centre back.
I can almost guarantee that if Masuku had been playing at LB he would he been blamed for both goals!
Howard

Post by Howard »

My wife is taking my son to this game and using my season ticket. I'm trying to put her off, but she want to know what all the fuss is about when me and my son come home buzzing! I am going to hang around for them outside entrance E with my daughter. Does anyone know how long before the final whistle they open the exit gates? Because I'm hoping to nip in for the last 5 mins or so with my daughter to let her see the atmosphere and ground, before I buy her a season ticket too.
Estuary
Has liked: 369 likes
Total likes: 138 likes

Post by Estuary »

Roby wrote:This team are absolutely appalling.

I'd show them we mean business and put out an attacking side with Marko up front from the start.

Create enough chances and as long as we score first it'll be a walkover.

Get Lanzini, Arnautovic and Anderson on the ball and they'll be chasing shadows.

3-1 home win.

If by mean business you mean start at a high tempo then I totally agree. While no team is a gimme in this division they will fold if we score early after starting fast. Lanzini and Arnie destroyed them at their place last season.

The team picks itself with a choice of Snodgrass or Antonio, I am going with a two man midfield of Rice and Noble, Antonio out wide right, Lanzini in the middle and Anderson right, Arnie up top.
Bonzos4Lagers
Has liked: 31 likes
Total likes: 25 likes

Post by Bonzos4Lagers »

Coming over from the States for this game - my second visit to the stadium. Hoping for some ribs, a beer and a thumping win paid for by a winning bet. What could possibly spoil my day?
arlhe
Has liked: 241 likes
Total likes: 182 likes

Post by arlhe »

An early goal for them, as we doze our way through the first ten minutes. A lot of 'pressing' from them and huffing and puffing from us. We might equalise but I'm going with the safe 0-1 to Huddersfield.

I'm away for my daughter's 30th so will have to rely on MotD to see what happened.....
Kialos
Has liked: 1545 likes
Total likes: 769 likes

Post by Kialos »

Ladzini wrote:
The second he was involved yes, but the first goal came from a ball in behind Cresswell, where Ogbonna had come out aswell, leaving Diop as the only centreback to contest the box against two Cardiff attackers.

Agree about Cresswell seemingly being given a free ride for the first goal. He literally just ran away from his man, meaning Ogbonna then had to leave his position and try and stop the cross coming in, which he couldn't. I'm no fan of Ogbonna but was sold down the river by Cresswell.
Ingwe
Has liked: 85 likes
Total likes: 28 likes

Post by Ingwe »

Bonzos4Lagers wrote:Coming over from the States for this game - my second visit to the stadium. Hoping for some ribs, a beer and a thumping win paid for by a winning bet. What could possibly spoil my day?
The WHU team that turned up regularly all season and failed to offer a defence, creative midfield and strikers capable of getting the ball in the net. But other than that can't see what could spoil your day. Enjoy! :)
DasNutNock

Post by DasNutNock »

0-2
neathiron
Has liked: 487 likes
Total likes: 337 likes

Post by neathiron »

Was so confident going into the Cardiff game but ended up looking foolish. Can't call this one because you never know which version of our team is going to turn up. Will it be the Good, the Bad or the Ugly? Wonder what Lawro has to say about it?
Oh go on then, stick my neck out and predict 1-1.
Arnautovich for us, and some bloke who has never scored in training let alone a Premier league goal for them.
Coops
Has liked: 449 likes
Total likes: 590 likes

Post by Coops »

Howard wrote:My wife is taking my son to this game and using my season ticket. I'm trying to put her off, but she want to know what all the fuss is about when me and my son come home buzzing! I am going to hang around for them outside entrance E with my daughter. Does anyone know how long before the final whistle they open the exit gates? Because I'm hoping to nip in for the last 5 mins or so with my daughter to let her see the atmosphere and ground, before I buy her a season ticket too.
I'm not sure if that is still something that can be done. Aren't there stewards guarding every entrance these days?
Wembley1966
Has liked: 5 likes
Total likes: 129 likes

Post by Wembley1966 »

^^^ The stewards do stop people trying to get back in at the end of the game. Try pleading with the steward that you've just come out and only now that you're out that your daughter is desperate for the toilet. If he doesn't let you, then threaten to report him for child cruelty in preventing her from going to the toilet.
Coops
Has liked: 449 likes
Total likes: 590 likes

Post by Coops »

Wembley1966 wrote:^^^ The stewards do stop people trying to get back in at the end of the game. Try pleading with the steward that you've just come out and only now that you're out that your daughter is desperate for the toilet. If he doesn't let you, then threaten to report him for child cruelty in preventing her from going to the toilet.
Nice idea :thup:
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2497 likes
Total likes: 4396 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

The first goal last week originated from sloppiness in possession (as did the second) followed by a huge open space in our midfield that they exploited really well.

We were just generally hopeless last week - effort, possession, organisation - it was almost all rubbish.
hammer1975
Has liked: 980 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Post by hammer1975 »

In the same way that we should have been more mindful about our first game against wimbkedon before we had the second that went so badly - we should think back to our away game against Huddersfield. They fought, shut down, harried and pressured.

When Anderson scored his equaliser - I was beginning to think we wouldn’t score.

Don’t underestimate them West Ham - please. And that includes needing a suitably combative centre midfield this time round.
Hammers Dad
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 46 likes

Post by Hammers Dad »

Huddersfield have won only once away this season and managed only 6 points away.
They have only scored 15 goals and conceded 53, Their top scorer has 3.

We will lose 3-0