40 years without a (proper) trophy.

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Re: 40 years without a (proper) trophy.

Postby Mega Ron on Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:55 pm

You horrible **** for starting this thread.
Mega Ron

Postby Samba on Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:57 pm

Mega Ron wrote:You horrible **** for starting this thread.

:lol:
Samba

Location: Playing Humm Bug & trying to hum, 'Ballroom Blitz'...

Postby cockney hammer on Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:10 pm

i was seventeen when we last won the fa cup then we was in the charity shield then in europe barring one fa cup final and metz away best night of my life following the irons we have not had a sniff all i want to do befor i shuffle of this mortal coil is see west ham win more fa cup something my ons have never seen the way it is going sadly i do not think i am going to live long enough to see it :crest:
cockney hammer
Resident badge expert

Postby Samba on Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:30 pm

cockney hammer wrote:i was seventeen when we last won the fa cup then we was in the charity shield then in europe barring one fa cup final and metz away best night of my life following the irons we have not had a sniff all i want to do befor i shuffle of this mortal coil is see west ham win more fa cup something my ons have never seen the way it is going sadly i do not think i am going to live long enough to see it :crest:

Steve, none of us are going to live long enough :D
Samba

Location: Playing Humm Bug & trying to hum, 'Ballroom Blitz'...

Postby old fart on Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:57 pm

You have to bear in mind that it took 69 years to win something in the first place, please don't count the war cup
old fart

Postby reo_coker20 on Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:58 pm

Seen 3 playoff finals and a fa cup final. 2 wins and 2 loses my dad always said he wanted us to watch a fa cup win together, every year he gets a year older and every year we put in a half hearted performance don’t think we will ever see he’s wish together
reo_coker20
One line wonder

Postby Longaz on Sun Mar 10, 2019 11:23 pm

old fart wrote:You have to bear in mind that it took 69 years to win something in the first place, please don't count the war cup

Exactly what I was thinking whilst reading through the thread. Maybe those 16 years between ‘64 and 80’ were just merely a blip
Longaz

Postby NT Hammer on Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:36 am

I was 4 in 1980 so don’t remember it my first game being February 1981 aged 5 against Cambridge

I’ve vague memories of 1981 league cup final at Wembley but not really the replay for some reason .

Growing up thinking 64 , 75 & 80 , on average every 10-15 years we will win something. But now having never seen us win a trophy it’s unbelievable really as a kid in the 80’s you just think yep anytime now

Metz away from one of my greatest memories watching an amazing day all round getting there , in Metz & the game itself. Truth is Intertoto Cup not a major trophy

Preston & Blackpool especially were great though . Blackpool at Wembley felt bit special with 40’000 of us there was amazing

2006 so so proud that day but worst feeling I’ve ever had to be so close

I just want an FA Cup win all I ask
NT Hammer

Postby psychoscoredthelot on Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:59 am

stu1 wrote:As someone who has never seen us lift a trophy, it wouldn’t surprise me if I never do.

:thdn:

same here - but we dont have a god given right to be successful you know - we leave that to tottenham
psychoscoredthelot

Postby Briggsy on Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:22 pm

28 years old. Never seen us win anything. You older lot should consider yourself lucky, at least you've seen a bit of glory.

Hopefully we win something in my life time.
Briggsy

Postby Colours never run on Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:21 pm

DasNutNock wrote:Next time one of you pipes up about how much you want Liverpool to win the league:

CARRAGHER: I would still be strangling Lionel Scaloni now if I had been a West Ham player. Oh my God! He tried to be like a nice professional. ‘I’ll kick the ball out, someone is injured’. But he kicks it out right next to where he was! Why didn’t he smash it up the pitch? It’s the last minute! As if we were going to give it back! We did give it back but I was actually closing him down. I told them we were going to throw it to them but the ball was going right to their feet and I was going to close him down.

That ***** got some ****ing nerve, if that's what he said about that situation. It weren't Scaloni I hold responsible, it was Liverpool and in particular Carragher I think it was who purposely chased down Scaloni where he had little choice but to pump it long after they gave the ball back via a bouncing ball from the Throw-on, rather than to our Keeper. We were in complete control of that situation and possession of the ball at his feet when Cisses calves suddenly seized up and he tried to do the right sporting thing at that time. Liverpool being Liverpool, do what they do best by trying to win at all costs. He's the last person I'll listen too when it comes to how someone views football should be played in the right spirit.
Colours never run

Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"

Postby AnyOldIron on Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:36 pm

Not just the Cups .... I'm still gutted that we didn't win the league in 1986 !!!
Last edited by AnyOldIron on Mon Mar 11, 2019 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AnyOldIron

Postby Estuary on Mon Mar 11, 2019 2:30 pm

Exactly what I was thinking whilst reading through the thread. Maybe those 16 years between ‘64 and 80’ were just merely a blip

Punctuated by winning the FA cup in 1975.

West Ham are the biggest English football club never to have lifted the league title. Entirely down to poor senior management who were happy to jog along and get to a cup final once a decade.
Estuary

Postby GaryP on Mon Mar 11, 2019 2:34 pm

sicknote wrote:It’s why some of us old grumpy twats get so disillusioned when the club or players don’t take the only two chances we have of silverware’s and glory seriously as we have had the fortune of being there seeing it and done it,

We have only the two cups to make us have a day out and a memory forever yet systematically our club seems to **** that off for a chance to get 3 points the following game

This with bells on. I am lucky in that I was at 1975 CUp final as a fivear old but don't remember much. However 1980 I rememner like yesterday and the two Wembley trips after that.

I forget there are plenty of fans who go, who are not kids haven't seen us win anything. Yet we give up on the cups every ****ing season.
GaryP

Postby mushy on Mon Mar 11, 2019 3:02 pm

Between 1975 and 1981 I went to Wembley five times, and had a League Cup Final replay at Villa Park. Its no wonder people thought it would become a regular thing back then.
The two cups are the only realistic chance we have of trophies and we take neither seriously, and yet in the Cardiff thread there are people defending the team selection, the performance and the mentality against Wimbledon this season. One of the reasons given by people defending us for letting four goals against a team unlikely to do this against anyone else for years is that they were highly motivated and it was a one off.
In other words, it was one of those things and we were unlucky.
Complete load of old toss. The club has no real intention of winning a cup, its like pick a team with quite a few changes, put them out there and hope for the best (the excuse given that the team picked should be actually good enough to win- which is possibly true).
The current owners have managed a thrashing at Forest, a loss at a very poor Sheff Weds, a humiliating shoeing at WBA (who were poor at the time) and the Wimbledon fiasco (to name but four).
The current owners see nothing but money, they dont care about glory, passion or the fans, they care about their bank balances and thats why we have no chance of a trophy.
The Cups dont win you much in the way of cash, league position does.

Which makes whats happened since Wimbledon all the more baffling. We look a far worse team now then we did prior to that game, we havent kicked on and our away form especially has been truly shameful at times.
So you have to ask, what exactly was the point in fielding a weakened team against Wimbledon.

As for a trophy, dream on I am afraid.
mushy

Postby Albie Beck on Mon Mar 11, 2019 3:03 pm

As with the OP, I was a youngster in the 60s and saw us win those trophies, and believed it would always be that way. I still do - sort of...

But I have ZERO patience with some of the younger folk who portray us a "little old West Ham". We are a big club who have seriously underperformed for decades, and I long for us to put that right before I snuff it.
Bah humbug.
Albie Beck

Postby Parkeslife on Mon Mar 11, 2019 4:30 pm

The 80 Cup Final was the first Cup I can really remember, and as I am from the other side of the river, and all my family are Palace fans, it could only have been this that made me a West Ham fan. I was probably considered a glory hunter at the time..... If only.....
Parkeslife

Postby Estuary on Mon Mar 11, 2019 4:37 pm

Albie Beck wrote:As with the OP, I was a youngster in the 60s and saw us win those trophies, and believed it would always be that way. I still do - sort of...

But I have ZERO patience with some of the younger folk who portray us a "little old West Ham". We are a big club who have seriously underperformed for decades, and I long for us to put that right before I snuff it.
Bah humbug.

Pretty much how I see it, biggest club never to win the top league.
Estuary

Postby Hammer.CA on Mon Mar 11, 2019 5:17 pm

Estuary wrote:
West Ham are the biggest English football club never to have lifted the league title. Entirely down to poor senior management who were happy to jog along and get to a cup final once a decade.

This. :(
Hammer.CA

Postby johnnyb on Mon Mar 11, 2019 5:39 pm

With luck, I've hopefully got another 10 years of being able to attend West Ham games. I don't really expect to see us winning another trophy in that time. However, I saw us win the three FA Cups in 64, 75 and 80, the ECWC in 65 and the World Cup in 66 so I suppose I should count myself a lot luckier than anyone who started supporting West Ham after 1980 and has been yearning for a trophy ever since.
johnnyb

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion