40 years without a (proper) trophy.

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Re: 40 years without a (proper) trophy.

Postby Crouchend_Hammer on Mon Mar 11, 2019 5:55 pm

Estuary wrote:
Pretty much how I see it, biggest club never to win the top league.

Our league record in the mid to late 60s, with three players who won the world cup with England, and other extremely talented players was very poor. we didn't come higher than 8th and only had three top 10 finishes in the whole decade
Crouchend_Hammer

Postby mushy on Mon Mar 11, 2019 6:41 pm

Crouchend_Hammer wrote:
Our league record in the mid to late 60s, with three players who won the world cup with England, and other extremely talented players was very poor. we didn't come higher than 8th and only had three top 10 finishes in the whole decade

Thats about the time I first started going, so you can all blame me.
mushy

Postby Tenbury on Mon Mar 11, 2019 6:44 pm

This is the most depressing thread in years.
Tenbury

Postby BondsoBob on Mon Mar 11, 2019 6:46 pm

Tenbury wrote:This is the most depressing thread in years.

I do apologise. But don't blame me. Blame the cnuts who run the club. Headbanger
BondsoBob

Postby johnnyb on Mon Mar 11, 2019 6:48 pm

In the sixties heyday teams we had four world class players together with several very average team-mates. Enough to win two cups but not enough to win the league.
johnnyb

Postby BondsoBob on Mon Mar 11, 2019 6:48 pm

Albie Beck wrote:As with the OP, I was a youngster in the 60s and saw us win those trophies, and believed it would always be that way. I still do - sort of...

But I have ZERO patience with some of the younger folk who portray us a "little old West Ham". We are a big club who have seriously underperformed for decades, and I long for us to put that right before I snuff it.
Bah humbug.

Agree entirely. It drives me bananas when we are called a 'small' club. Especially when it's by our own support. :scarfer:
BondsoBob

Postby Crouchend_Hammer on Mon Mar 11, 2019 6:53 pm

johnnyb wrote:In the sixties heyday teams we had four world class players together with several very average team-mates. Enough to win two cups but not enough to win the league.

Very average team mates is simply not true
The teams we had were far too good to come no higher than 8th
Crouchend_Hammer

Postby Tenbury on Mon Mar 11, 2019 6:54 pm

BondsoBob wrote:
I do apologise. But don't blame me. Blame the cnuts who run the club. Headbanger

Oh I do, and I agree with everything you've written....I just don't like thinking about it.
Tenbury

Postby Oldun on Mon Mar 11, 2019 7:57 pm

The truth is that it took our club 64 years to win a major trophy, and our success of 3 FA cup and a Europeon trophy is condensed in an 16 year period of our nearly 120 year history.
I was lucky to have seen all the cup wins, but if we never win another thing in my lifetime it would not affect my support,the club is in my family's DNA and always will be.
Oldun

Postby johnnyb on Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:44 pm

Oldun wrote:The truth is that it took our club 64 years to win a major trophy, and our success of 3 FA cup and a Europeon trophy is condensed in an 16 year period of our nearly 120 year history.
I was lucky to have seen all the cup wins, but if we never win another thing in my lifetime it would not affect my support,the club is in my family's DNA and always will be.

Very true Oldun. You speak for me too.
johnnyb

Postby wolf359 on Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:23 pm

I was 41 last month, I await the day.... hopefully before I shuffle off this Earth.
wolf359

Postby Samba on Tue Mar 12, 2019 2:28 pm

What I've just noticed is quite interesting. I'm sure that many of you are already aware:

'Won' the World Cup in '66, finished 20th in '71
Won the FA Cup in '75, relegated in '78
Finished 3rd in '86, relegated in '89
Won the Intertoto in '99, relegated in '03
FA Cup finalists in '06, relegated in '11

That is the life of a West Ham fan. Forever being let down by owners with small mentalities..
Samba

Postby Cuenca 'ammer on Tue Mar 12, 2019 2:31 pm

but, but, but................I thought NOT winning a trophy guaranteed that you stayed in the Big League ?

:wink:
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado

Postby Estuary on Tue Mar 12, 2019 3:26 pm

johnnyb wrote:In the sixties heyday teams we had four world class players together with several very average team-mates. Enough to win two cups but not enough to win the league.

In the period 1965-1970 when we as supporters could reasonably expect to chase the title we turned down Gordon Banks who wanted to come to us when he left Leicester for Stoke, we didn't replace Budgie Bryne when he left, we didn't replace Ken Brown senior effectively, every move we made in that era was for a lesser player, that's the owners not being ambitious enough and the manager settling for an easy life, the only pressure was to stay in the first division which eventually they ****ed up by letting the better players grow old or leave and not replacing them with players of equal ability, so you end up with a team with Bonds, Brooking and Lampard going down.
It's always been the way with West Ham, bottle the big calls when the opportunity is there, and eventually fall into decline on the field through wastage and lack of investment.
Look at it another way, add Byrnes skill and goals to an already decent team and we win the FA Cup and the Cup Winners Cup. Parkes comes for record money, and all of a sudden we're back at Wembley, Goodard arrives for big money and we are back at Wembley again, same happened again to a lesser degree when we put up the cash for Kitson and Hartson.
The owners have always been two Bob, while the support has been world class and deserves more.
Estuary

Postby LincolnshireHammer on Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:48 am

What's in it for the West Ham fans anymore? Stripped of our own values and heritage, yet the FA and PL still bow down to corporate greed.

Is a mid to bottom half PL finish all we have to look forward to in the next 40 years?

If it wasn't for the day out and a good laugh with our mates/family, how many would have given it up years ago?
LincolnshireHammer

Postby James P on Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:12 pm

I think people are doing the league a disservice. There is a hell of a lot of enjoyment to be taken from it even if the ultimate end is a midtable finish. I've been going West Ham since 1989 and off the top of my head I can think of plenty of great West Ham moments relating to the league:

Kenny Brown and beating Man Utd 1-0 to help Leeds to the title
Securing promotion in the last seconds against Cambridge
Ludo’s heroics against Andy Cole to help Blackburn to the title
Hartson challenging for the golden boot in 97/98
The Intertoto campaign and European football for the first time in a generation
Di Canio v Wimbledon
West Ham 5 Bradford 4
The Ipswich play off second legs
Last team at Highbury / First team at Emirates
The greatest escape
Beating Tottenham three times in a season
First win at Anfield in 50+ years
3-2 comeback at Goodison

Plus countless over scalps, great goals, proud performances and moments important to different individuals.

If you can't take enjoyment from the rollercoaster of a league season if we don't finish top six then I don't really know how you survive as a West Ham fan. You have to enjoy the little victories. We never lift trophies at the end of a season, but that doesn't mean that season wasn't worthwhile.
James P

Postby Crouchend_Hammer on Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:21 pm

James P wrote:I think people are doing the league a disservice.

tremendous post James P :thup:
Any win over one of our big rivals, or whoever are the most successful clubs at the time, are great memories [i particularly enjoyed the Harewood winner over Arsenal under Pardew]

Even those demoralising defeats from the jaws of victory i.e 3-4 Spurs in great escape season or the defeat at WHL two seasons ago are ones to be cherished

If you are not in the top flight, then you can no longer enjoy these moments, and I for one would miss them massively if we were ever out of the top flight for any length of time
Last edited by Up the Junction on Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Large quote edited.
Crouchend_Hammer

Postby Estuary on Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:52 pm

If you can't take enjoyment from the rollercoaster of a league season if we don't finish top six then I don't really know how you survive as a West Ham fan. You have to enjoy the little victories. We never lift trophies at the end of a season, but that doesn't mean that season wasn't worthwhile

That's not in dispute, the support is world class because it follow's the club through thick and thin.

But if you look at it objectively there have been moments when the basis of a title challenging side was there and the owners, all of them, have not grasped that opportunity. And here's the rub, while we have bottled it other clubs have seized the day, in the 1960's and 1970's there was effectively a level playing field, which saw the title change hands every season, in fact no team won back to back titles from 1960 and until Liverpool managed it in 75/76 and 76/77, they were on a winning run from there on in but during that 75-85 period Nottingham Forest won the title, and two European Cups, in 80/81 Villa won the title in 80/81, Ipswich were runners up, and Arsenal (who were not nearly the force they would become under George Graham) third. In the period 70-75 Derby County won the title....twice!!!! Where were West Ham? In league terms? ****ing nowhere! Yet we are the London club with largest catchment area at a time players were drawn from local lads, we also had a number of the poorest areas in the country, usually a motivating factor with young men to succeed in sports. So you ask yourself why was that, what is the missing factor within he club that has remained absent all that time? Of course funds, yet the then board turned down Jack Petchey who wanted to increase his share holding, a man with the kind of money that at the time would have made a huge difference. We also let Michael Tabor walk away when he tried to invest, Tabor is a life long winner in horse racing, and had the cash and connections to make the sort of difference Abramovich did at Chelsea more recently, also ambition, but more so the courage to try, that's whats always been missing. Successive owners have been happy to run the club well within its means, sit in the directors box and watch a mediocre team knock out the occasional hollow victory over a rival, or trip up a side with the qualities we so conspicuous lack when they are stretching every sinew to get over the line, we enjoy the moment, but that's all it ever is, a moment, while our peers have whole seasons of it.
Why do we love Billy Bonds? Or Sir Trevor? Because they know all of this, and could easily have walked away, and in Brookings case won titles at Derby and Forest as Clough tried moved to sign him for both, but they didn't, why? Because they are us in the claret and blue shirt and knowingly suffer the same merry go round of mediocrity fate as we do, because we are the only ones who actually care.
Estuary

Postby sendô on Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:35 pm

Christ this thread is depressing.

We really have been a two bob club run by shysters for years, haven't we?
sendô

Postby Cuenca 'ammer on Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:38 pm

sendô wrote:Christ this thread is depressing.

We really have been a two bob club run by shysters for years, haven't we?

and treating the club as a cash cow makes it worse

:x
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion