40 years without a (proper) trophy.

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Re: 40 years without a (proper) trophy.

Postby Hammer.CA on Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:48 pm

Estuary wrote:In the period 1965-1970...

Correct again.
Last edited by Up the Junction on Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Large quote edited.
Hammer.CA

Postby Hammer.CA on Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:48 pm

Estuary wrote:That's not in dispute...

3 out of 3 correct.
Last edited by Up the Junction on Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Large quote edited.
Hammer.CA

Postby sargethehammer on Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:43 pm

Went to the 75 final, then the 80 final. Had the opportunity of a ticket for the 81 league cup final but it clashed with a mates wedding

Girlfriend at the time threatened to walk out on me if I didn't attend the wedding so turned down the ticket

She knew nothing about football but her words remain in my ears until my dying day

" Surely you can give this one a miss and go next time, they're always in cup finals "

How can anybody be so wrong
sargethehammer

Postby SoulCircus on Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:55 pm

sargethehammer wrote:" Surely you can give this one a miss and go next time, they're always in cup finals "

How can anybody be so wrong

That would absolutely haunt me. Seriously.
SoulCircus

Postby Colours never run on Thu Mar 14, 2019 5:27 am

Should have binned her off anyway. ****ing weddings are over rated tosh most of the time. They're probably long divorced by now. :arry:
Colours never run

Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"

Postby the pink palermo on Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:22 am

Albie Beck wrote:As with the OP, I was a youngster in the 60s and saw us win those trophies, and believed it would always be that way. I still do - sort of...

But I have ZERO patience with some of the younger folk who portray us a "little old West Ham". We are a big club who have seriously underperformed for decades, and I long for us to put that right before I snuff it.
Bah humbug.

Estuary wrote:Pretty much how I see it, biggest club never to win the top league.

:thup:

The mindset of knowing our place and tugging the forelock drives me mad.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin

Postby the pink palermo on Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:24 am

Estuary wrote:The owners have always been two Bob, while the support has been world class and deserves more.

You're on fire on this thread Estuary.

:thup:
the pink palermo
Huge noggin

Postby Estuary on Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:51 pm

You're on fire on this thread Estuary. :thup:

Thanks, its a life long issue for me, and I think the football, the entire point of us, tends to get lost in the politics of our club, especially since the move.

We were and still are a club punching far below our weight on the pitch. I am encouraged by Pellers and the way he looks at West Ham and its potential. The next big step is the summer transfers, will we continue to add real quality? or as under Bilic will there be a decent showing followed by yet another failing of ambition driven by the obsession Brady and Sully have with a clean balance sheet and the love of business "success".

I am not holding my breath.
Estuary

Postby Roby on Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:30 pm

We were a very decent top seven club for a few years from around 1997 onwards but the appointment of Roeder really did set us back.

I know Redknapp wasted the Rio money but they cleared out that batch of duff signings (Song, Soma, Foxe, Todorov etc) pretty quickly and we were still in a position to get back on track again but Roeder really bought some big money flops after Lampard Jnr left.

Hutchison, Repka and James were not clever signings and it took some excellent, hungry young players being found by Pardew to turn the ship around.

From memory didn't Boro and Blackburn win the League Cup around the time we had Roeder? That could've been us.

The current scum in charge have got us relegated once and endless relegation dogfights, make no mistake as a club we have gone backwards since they took over. At least the Icelandics were genuinely ambitious.
Roby

Postby James P on Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:41 pm

Roby wrote:From memory didn't Boro and Blackburn win the League Cup around the time we had Roeder? That could've been us.

We should have won the League Cup in 2000 but Redknapp didn't keep tabs on which of his loanees were getting cup-tied and which weren't.
James P

Postby hammerleroy on Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:48 pm

Estuary I agree with every word you wrote. I started in the early sixties and we always seemed to be doing something in the cups. 1964 of course and I think the league cup semi same season. Then the ECWC year followed by the ECWC semi defeat (I was in the Army in Germany and saw the second leg v Dortmund). And same season defeat to WBA in the last two-legged league cup final. Next season West Brom again in the league cup semi. A final in that one could have seen Sir Bobby going up those steps four years in a row but of course QPR would have beat us! !972 and the saga v Stoke, I was right behind the North Bank goal for Sir Geoffs penalty! 1975 of course and the ECWC again and the Heysel! Then the 1980 triumph and in 1981 being robbed by bloody Clive Thomas. After that apart from the ridiculous Intertoto and two championship play-off wins absolutely zilch. How we loved the one season 85/86 when we almost did it, but McAvennie and later Cottee went to pastures new. And of course Cardiff 2006. Not forgetting of course the superb season under Bilic. But then Payet saw the light and got out. To think we used to moan about the owners back in the day, the Cearns family, Pratt et al. And the Iceman came and now the Dildo Bros. We all love our club but we are two-bob middle of the tablers. Pelly will get disillusioned and leg it when these clowns sign another Mido or BigFat Benni. Thanks Estuary for setting me off but that's how I see it. And soon bloody Luton will be facing us yet again and I will then go and live in a cave somewhere in Bonny Scotland!
hammerleroy

Postby Up the Junction on Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:33 pm

Roby wrote:We were a very decent top seven club for a few years from around 1997 onwards but the appointment of Roeder really did set us back.

An interesting assessment. And we finished seventh under Roeder.

Roby wrote:...Roeder really bought some big money flops after Lampard Jnr left. Hutchison, Repka and James were not clever signings...

Flops? Hutchison sustained a career-ending injury, we bought him as Sunderland's Player of the Year (after they'd finished 7th in the Premiership). Repka played more than 200 games for the club (and was also first choice under Brooking and Pardew) and James was an English international who cost us £3m.
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place

Postby Roby on Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:11 pm

UTJ - yes, I'm well aware we finished seventh in Roeder's first season.

What happened the year after?

All three of those were poor signings. James didn't need to be bought for that price as he wasn't much better than Shaka. His signing was more of a statement of intent whilst I think it'd be hard to argue the other two were anything more than very over priced mistakes.
Roby

Postby BondsoBob on Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:26 pm

I don't think many would argue that Roeder was a bad appointment.
Terry Brown went for the cheap option after Redkappio.
And it backfired big time.
I'm really beginning to wish I had never started this thread. :?
BondsoBob

Postby steveyrockstar on Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:48 pm

Roby wrote:We were a very decent top seven club for a few years from around 1997 onwards but the appointment of Roeder really did set us back.

I know Redknapp wasted the Rio money but they cleared out that batch of duff signings (Song, Soma, Foxe, Todorov etc) pretty quickly and we were still in a position to get back on track again but Roeder really bought some big money flops after Lampard Jnr left.

Hutchison, Repka and James were not clever signings and it took some excellent, hungry young players being found by Pardew to turn the ship around.

From memory didn't Boro and Blackburn win the League Cup around the time we had Roeder? That could've been us.

The current scum in charge have got us relegated once and endless relegation dogfights, make no mistake as a club we have gone backwards since they took over. At least the Icelandics were genuinely ambitious.

I think we actually had the makings of a great side when we were relegated in 2003 - Joe Cole, Carrick, Defoe, Carrick, Kanoute, Sinclair, Di Canio etc. We just had an awful, awful defence, completely out of tune with rest of team. Should've signed Upson rather than Bowyer in that Jan transfer window. Repka and Dailly were terrible CBs. We improved when Johnson and Brevett were brought in but it was too late, sadly. I remember that season all too well!

Ultimately, WHU's history is one of missed opportunities and dismal failings, but always with an ability to not plummet too far off the radar when the going gets tough. The perennial mediocre, midling, mid-table club. Weak, really.
steveyrockstar

Postby steveyrockstar on Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:52 pm

Up the Junction wrote:Flops? Hutchison sustained a career-ending injury, we bought him as Sunderland's Player of the Year (after they'd finished 7th in the Premiership). Repka played more than 200 games for the club (and was also first choice under Brooking and Pardew) and James was an English international who cost us £3m.

From memory, Hutchison didn't fit in with our style of play back then - very much a goalscoring midfielder in a long-ball team, such as Sunderland and Everton. And then he got injured anyway. And let's face it, Repka was bloody awful in the Prem as a CB, and nowhere near worth the £5m we paid for him. He redeemed himself somewhat as a RB, especially in the C'ship, but otherwise, he was a liability.
steveyrockstar

Postby steveyrockstar on Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:54 pm

BondsoBob wrote:I don't think many would argue that Roeder was a bad appointment.
Terry Brown went for the cheap option after Redkappio.
And it backfired big time.
I'm really beginning to wish I had never started this thread. :?

We wanted McClaren but he rejected us for Boro. And hilariously, McClaren publicly rejected us every time the job became available for the next 10+ years, even if he wasn't even offered it or in the running. Became an almost comedy thing. Stupid twat.

Curbs also famously rejected us back then. In hindsight, he would've just brought dour, bread-and-butter football fowards by a few years, but I doubt we'd have been relegated under him.
steveyrockstar

Postby steveyrockstar on Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:59 pm

As a "youngster" (arf!) who only started following us in the late 80s, I find this thread is an enlightening and honest insight into why we've never won the leage or more cups. I've always wondered why we've never won the league when the likes of Forest, Derby, Sunderland etc have done so. It's criminal right given the calibre of players we've produced (who I sadly never saw play).

I never saw Bonds play except when he was 41, and it's probably symptomatic of my age-group and under how we can question why a legend of ours never achieved greater recognition in the game, such as winning at least one England cap. Based on that, is he as good as people remember him? I'm certainly not saying he isn't, I just wonder why a team like ours won **** all when we've had the celebrated likes of Brooking, Moore, Peters, Hurst, Byrne, Robson, Bonds, Lampard, Cross etc etc play for us.
steveyrockstar

Postby The Old Mile End on Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:11 pm

As pointed out on here earlier, we are indeed the biggest club never to have won the league.

Since our second promotion in 1958 (61 years ago), we have spent over 50 years in the top flight. There aren't many clubs in front of us with that record, maybe six or seven at most. We would be the only club of that seven or eight never to have won the league. Other than 85-86, we have never even come close.

Like it or not, we have never ever had that true grit throughout the side that is required to win a competition based over 38-42 games. Never. We needed two or three Bonzo's to do that.

The Cups have always been our best chance at success, and certainly remain so. But we have failed miserably here as well - especially at the hands of lower league sides. It is appalling that we have never even won the League Cup.

We have always strived for mediocrity. This acceptance of failure has always been under the guidance of the Board - in every incarnation.

It was the failure and mismanagement of the Board that allowed these three clowns to take us over. These conmen (& lady) have been very successful at making money from us since they came along. It's their MO. They are unlikely to change their winning formula.
The Old Mile End

Postby Hammer.CA on Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:40 pm

Up the Junction wrote:Flops? Hutchison sustained a career-ending injury, we bought him as Sunderland's Player of the Year (after they'd finished 7th in the Premiership). Repka played more than 200 games for the club (and was also first choice under Brooking and Pardew) and James was an English international who cost us £3m.

Hutchison was average at best in his first spell, this is from his Wiki profile on his first stint with us.

In August 1994 Hutchison was signed by manager Harry Redknapp for West Ham United for a fee of £1.5 million.] He scored on his debut for West Ham on 31 August 1994 in a 3–1 home defeat to Newcastle United.] Hutchison had a poor disciplinary record at West Ham. In his 39 games in his first spell with the club, he received eleven bookings and was sent off once, on 5 November 1994 in a home game against Leicester City. Known to fans and fellow players as "Budweiser" following a drunken incident in Ayia Napa when he had appeared covering his genitals with a Budweiser beer label, he was allowed to leave the club in January 1996.
I think Mike Marsh made more of an impression with us than Hutchison.
Hammer.CA

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion