40 years without a (proper) trophy.

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Re: 40 years without a (proper) trophy.

Postby Greatest Cockney Rip Off on Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:06 pm

Briggsy wrote:28 years old. Never seen us win anything. You older lot should consider yourself lucky, at least you've seen a bit of glory.

At least you've still got your own hair and teeth :cry:
Greatest Cockney Rip Off

Postby Greatest Cockney Rip Off on Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:14 pm

Estuary wrote:We were and still are a club punching far below our weight on the pitch. I am encouraged by Pellers and the way he looks at West Ham and its potential. The next big step is the summer transfers, will we continue to add real quality? or as under Bilic will there be a decent showing followed by yet another failing of ambition driven by the obsession Brady and Sully have with a clean balance sheet and the love of business "success".

I am not holding my breath.

The trouble is, we have never build on our successes and have a history of trying to do things on the cheap and taking the fans for granted.

When Moore, Hurst and Peters were around after '66 we should have built the nucleus of a team that would dominate the league for the next five years at least. What did we do? We sold Peters to Spurs and got Jimmy Greaves. Than in the late 70s, early 80s we had a fantastic team and slowly but surely we managed to get ourselves relegated. Then in the 80s we had Cottee, McAvenie et al and we managed to let all that slip away and got ourselves relegated. The 90s saw us produce some of the best talent this country has ever seen. What did we do? Sell them all and got relegated. The 00s we had a succession of crap managers and got punished accordingly. Now we've been taken over by the three stooges, they've already sold our ground off and are undertaking a campaign to alienate the fans.

I'll always be a West Ham supporter but I have never been so disillusioned with the club, despite having seen more relations, humiliating defeats, the Bond Scheme, Pardew, Avram Grant etc.
Greatest Cockney Rip Off

Postby Up the Junction on Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:32 pm

Roby wrote:UTJ - yes, I'm well aware we finished seventh in Roeder's first season. What happened the year after?

Allow me to refresh your memory. Terry Brown refused to sanction any summer signings unless they were freebies (Breen, Sofiane etc) and consequently West Ham, who experienced an injury crisis (leading to Ian Pearce being played up front, for example) were relegated.

Good luck trying to pin that on a manager who finished 7th the season before (with a squad Redknapp led to 16th the previous year)...

Roby wrote:All three of those were poor signings. .

James was subsequently picked for England and Repka became a mainstay under three successive managers. So that's several professional managers who disagree with you. And Hutchison is in Dyer territory - a decent player whose potential contribution is dismissed because of his transfer fee.
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place

Postby Hampshire Hammer on Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:06 pm

sendô wrote:Christ this thread is depressing.

We really have been a two bob club run by shysters for years, haven't we?

To be fair, reading the comments from fans in the thirties in Charles Knoxx's book about the club it seems that this is the one thing that most of the club's owners have had in common - a failure to invest in the playing staff consistently.
Hampshire Hammer

Postby smuts on Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:40 am

DasNutNock wrote:Next time one of you pipes up about how much you want Liverpool to win the league:

CARRAGHER: I would still be strangling Lionel Scaloni now if I had been a West Ham player. Oh my God! He tried to be like a nice professional. ‘I’ll kick the ball out, someone is injured’. But he kicks it out right next to where he was! Why didn’t he smash it up the pitch? It’s the last minute! As if we were going to give it back! We did give it back but I was actually closing him down. I told them we were going to throw it to them but the ball was going right to their feet and I was going to close him down.

Even the throw was chucked with what looked like back spin on it so Scaloni couldn't get a proper contact on it.

Still makes my piss boil at both the Scousers gamesmanship and Scaloni's lack of nous.
smuts

Postby smuts on Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:43 am

Greatest Cockney Rip Off wrote:
The trouble is, we have never build on our successes and have a history of trying to do things on the cheap and taking the fans for granted.

When Moore, Hurst and Peters were around after '66 we should have built the nucleus of a team that would dominate the league for the next five years at least. What did we do? We sold Peters to Spurs and got Jimmy Greaves. Than in the late 70s, early 80s we had a fantastic team and slowly but surely we managed to get ourselves relegated. Then in the 80s we had Cottee, McAvenie et al and we managed to let all that slip away and got ourselves relegated. The 90s saw us produce some of the best talent this country has ever seen. What did we do? Sell them all and got relegated. The 00s we had a succession of crap managers and got punished accordingly. Now we've been taken over by the three stooges, they've already sold our ground off and are undertaking a campaign to alienate the fans.

I'll always be a West Ham supporter but I have never been so disillusioned with the club, despite having seen more relations, humiliating defeats, the Bond Scheme, Pardew, Avram Grant etc.

Who did we sign in the summer of 86? Strodder, McQueen and a half crippled Stewart Robson from memory.

Laughable.
smuts

Postby bubbles1966 on Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:59 am

The biggest mistake post 86 was selling the grossly under rated Paul Goddard.

Within a couple of months, MacAvennie was injured and Mark Ward was playing centre forward.
bubbles1966

Location: Vincent van Gogh, cut his ear off, when they asked him why he said, "what?"

Postby hammerleroy on Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:59 am

Bet some on here would have moaned like a drain when we signed a certain Alan Devonshire from Southall back in the day. How did that one work out then. But I take the point regarding the likes of Strodder and McQueen et al and I go back to the 1967 triple signing to strengthen the defence, Bonzo, Ferguson and a certain Celtic reserve John Cushley. Our goals record in 66/67 was for 80 against 84! But what were you thinking Mr Greenwood as even my Celtic supporting army mates howled at that one. The Ferguson/Banks story has been told of course and naturally we were as poor as ever at the back. Nothing changes at West Ham and this summers dealings will sadly probably prove it. :(
hammerleroy

Postby bubbles1966 on Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:04 am

Sometimes money has to go in with the expectation that it will come back in success rather than fees for outgoing players.

Between 85 and 89 we sold Paul Allen, Paul Goddard, Frank MacAvennie, Tony Cottee and Paul Ince. Imagine owners that kept them or bought them without having to sell one of the others.
bubbles1966

Location: Vincent van Gogh, cut his ear off, when they asked him why he said, "what?"

Postby smuts on Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:15 am

hammerleroy wrote:Bet some on here would have moaned like a drain when we signed a certain Alan Devonshire from Southall back in the day. How did that one work out then. But I take the point regarding the likes of Strodder and McQueen et al and I go back to the 1967 triple signing to strengthen the defence, Bonzo, Ferguson and a certain Celtic reserve John Cushley. Our goals record in 66/67 was for 80 against 84! But what were you thinking Mr Greenwood as even my Celtic supporting army mates howled at that one. The Ferguson/Banks story has been told of course and naturally we were as poor as ever at the back. Nothing changes at West Ham and this summers dealings will sadly probably prove it. :(

Taking a punt on the likes of Strodder is fine....bot signing anyone of quality whilst making money on selling Goddard isn't.
smuts

Postby smuts on Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:16 am

bubbles1966 wrote:The biggest mistake post 86 was selling the grossly under rated Paul Goddard.

Within a couple of months, MacAvennie was injured and Mark Ward was playing centre forward.

And Goddard absolutely ripped us apart on a live game on the box where the Geordies spanked us 4 nil.
smuts

Postby Puff Daddy on Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:22 am

Greatest Cockney Rip Off wrote:

The real trouble is we've never had owners with mega wealth. G&S are the wealthiest individuals we've ever had as owners, but even they do not possess the sort of wealth necessary in order to compete at the top level in the world of football today. To move on and make lasting progress, we need a Red Bull, or some filthy stinking rich, but probably corrupt, Arab sheikh to take us. That is the only way we will ever make a lasting impression and break into the upper echelons of football. Until such time as we do, expect no different to what has gone on before and that includes FA and League cup exits in the early rounds, mid table obscurity and parsimony in the the transfer market
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton

Previous

Return to General Discussion