Spectator hitting an opposition player, quiz.

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Spectator hitting an opposition player, quiz.

Postby Samba on Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:47 am

Which team was it against & what season was it when someone jumped out of The Chicken Run, ran on to the pitch & hit an opposition player?
Samba

Re: Spectator hitting an opposition player, quiz.

Postby BondsoBob on Mon Mar 11, 2019 7:42 am

Vaguely remember this happening. But can't remember the details. It was all forgotten about after around 5 minutes.
This episode with Grealish and Villa will carry on for ages. It's the way people are now days.
BondsoBob

Postby Francoisvander or else on Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:12 am

People get assorted in the workplace every day of the week, lets see what punishment they hand out to a football spectator
Francoisvander or else

Postby dodger on Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:37 am

Are we honestly saying that when you come up from behind and try to punch someone you shouldn’t have the book thrown at you?

It is not common in any workplace I’ve been at thankfully. I work at a university and if a student tried to punch me they’d at the very least be expelled and the police would also likely get involved.

I have little sympathy for those who commit violence. We might react in the heat of the moment and perhaps that deserves a slightly more lenient punishment, but this bloke decided to do this and had to actually put in effort to try and physically harm someone.

He deserves an assault charge, or perhaps attempted assault given his pathetic attempt.
dodger

Location: Scotland / London / Japan / somewhere in between the 3

Postby S-H on Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:44 am

Not to mention it would have been seen live around the world, and carried out in front of Police officers who were in the ground. The authorities will want to make an example of this man, in the hope of deterring others. Next thing you know someone will be on the pitch wielding a blade.
S-H

Postby RichieRiv on Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:51 am

For many football and their teams are the most important thing in the world and they would do anything to prove their dedication and devotion.

This is all fuelled by the media who tell us that football is an integral part of our society and the less bright one amongst us lap it up.

This helmet has gone way over what is acceptable.
RichieRiv

Postby Estuary on Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:50 pm

Samba wrote:Which team was it against & what season was it when someone jumped out of The Chicken Run, ran on to the pitch & hit an opposition player?

Man City, Willie Donachie coped the punch, not sure what year, at a guess '78.
Estuary

Postby Hammers Dad on Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:22 pm

Was looking for the Willie Donachie one when I stumbled upon this

June 30 2013 – During a soccer match in Maranhao, referee Otavio Jordao da Silva ejected Josemir Santos Abreu from the match. This led to a confrontation which ended in da Silva pulling a knife and stabbing Abreu, who would later die from his injuries. Fans rushed the field where they tied up da Silva and ruthlessly beat him and stoned him to death. He was then quartered and decapitated using a sickle and his severed head was placed on a spike on the field. One fan was arrested in relation to the murder.

:shock:
Hammers Dad

Postby clawhammer on Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:24 pm

The bloke is a thug and a cowardly one at that as he attacked Grealish from behind with no warning. It could have been a knife and in the current climate severe action must be taken to stamp it out. Prison and a lifetime ban for the bloke and 1 game behind closed doors for the club. Apparently a large number of fans were cheering the attack so there has to be a change of attitude to discourage sympathy for any future
imitators.
I can't stand Tottenham, Millwall or quite a few players (Grealish included) but the idea that I would want to physically attack anybody is ridiculous because we all know that , actually, it is not real and decent people don't get involved in violence and it up to decent people to ensure that thugs and those who encourage them are stopped.
clawhammer

Postby DasNutNock on Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:35 pm

June 30 2013 – During a soccer match in Maranhao, referee Otavio Jordao da Silva ejected Josemir Santos Abreu from the match. This led to a confrontation which ended in da Silva pulling a knife and stabbing Abreu, who would later die from his injuries. Fans rushed the field where they tied up da Silva and ruthlessly beat him and stoned him to death. He was then quartered and decapitated using a sickle and his severed head was placed on a spike on the field. One fan was arrested in relation to the murder.

I'd sanction similar punishment for anyone found guilty of supporting Liverpool.
DasNutNock

Postby Estuary on Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:48 pm

Extreme even by latin standards. In the Basildon Sunday league a guy who had a row and was sent off went to his car and drove it on to the pitch trying to run someone over, standard for Glouster Park back in the day that was.
Estuary

Postby psychoscoredthelot on Mon Mar 11, 2019 2:01 pm

Samba wrote:Which team was it against & what season was it when someone jumped out of The Chicken Run, ran on to the pitch & hit an opposition player?

if you know - you know 8-)
psychoscoredthelot

Postby psychoscoredthelot on Mon Mar 11, 2019 2:02 pm

photo of it up in the vic at plaistow - TBF
psychoscoredthelot

Postby Denzil on Mon Mar 11, 2019 2:03 pm

I remember seeing the photo of that incident in one of the ICF biographies - I have a feeling it was Mr Swallow?
Denzil

Postby Denzil on Mon Mar 11, 2019 2:12 pm

There was a social media incident yesterday, a lad of 18 posted a photo of Jack Grealish's brothers grave mocking his death. The lads address was posted on twitter and Baz Patterson (BC Zulu's) picked up on it and has arranged a meeting with the kid and his parents to talk him through how what he done was wrong and hopes to get the lad doing some work with the homeless community in Birmingham.

Such a sick thing to post and mock but hopefully there's a lesson to be learned and top darts to Baz for doing what he is doing.
Denzil

Postby Estuary on Mon Mar 11, 2019 2:15 pm

if you know - you know 8-)

Indeed.
Estuary

Postby prophet:marginal on Mon Mar 11, 2019 2:26 pm

Estuary wrote:
Extreme even by latin standards. In the Basildon Sunday league a guy who had a row and was sent off went to his car and drove it on to the pitch trying to run someone over, standard for Glouster Park back in the day that was.

my younger cousin was for a while a referee in and around the Chelmsford area, mid-90's, but more often than not reffed teenager matches.

One day, unsurprisingly the day he jacked it all in, he got barracked all match by a group of dads, who then fronted him at the end of the match and ended up attacking his motor and chasing him down the A12 for a few miles.

Football, even at the lowest level of the game, properly riles up some people; moreso than any other sport.
prophet:marginal

Postby mushy on Mon Mar 11, 2019 2:27 pm

No real fuss when our guy did it, in fact it was looked at by many (not all) as a heroic act back then, and still now I would guess.

Is this a sign of how times have changed, or are we guilty of double standards?

Or both even.
mushy

Postby GaryP on Mon Mar 11, 2019 2:39 pm

THis behind colsed doors bit is b*llocks. Not remotely fair on everyone else in the stadium. Throw the book at the prick and give the maximum sentence you can. No parole. There is one instant deterrant.
GaryP

Postby Estuary on Mon Mar 11, 2019 2:39 pm

Denzil wrote:I remember seeing the photo of that incident in one of the ICF biographies - I have a feeling it was Mr Swallow?

Nope, wrong generation.
Estuary

Next

Return to General Discussion