Spectator hitting an opposition player, quiz.

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Re: Spectator hitting an opposition player, quiz.

Postby Samba on Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:00 am

WHU Independent wrote:He was given 120 hours' community service instead.
One rule for them, another for us.

Probably linked also to Eric having the best defence solicitor that ManU could buy.
So yeah, one rule for them, certainly applied..
It's not about whether you did it or not, it's much more about which side can ̶l̶i̶e̶ present the best story..which of course is also very often, which side has the most money..
Samba

Postby The Old Mile End on Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:56 am

Funny how urban myths are created.

I was very close to that incident in the Chicken Run that day, and IIRC the one who got the clump was the "face" that ran on to the pitch. As I recall it, Donachie saw him at the last moment and gave him a right hander.
The would be assailant made a half arsed attempt at a punch and a kick and didn't connect with either.

That's how I recall seeing it. Was over 40 years ago though. Anyone else actually remember seeing it from close up?
The Old Mile End

Postby Crossd_Hammrs on Thu Mar 14, 2019 5:44 am

WHU Independent wrote:He was given 120 hours' community service instead.
One rule for them, another for us.

Samba wrote:Probably linked also to Eric having the best defence solicitor that ManU could buy.
So yeah, one rule for them, certainly applied..
It's not about whether you did it or not, it's much more about which side can ̶l̶i̶e̶ present the best story..which of course is also very often, which side has the most money..

Well... Cantona was also being verbally abused / provoked. And he didn't run 20 or 30 yards into the crowd to attack his 'target', his was a 'heat of the moment' reaction. So it's not really the same circumstances at all.

I think both have got off lightly (Cantona and this guy). I was of the belief that unprovoked physical assault of someone in their workplace (eg attacking a barman) carried a mandatory 12 month prison sentence.
Crossd_Hammrs

Postby Estuary on Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:07 pm

a senseless young supporter on the field attacking Donachie

Not so young now, and his name is etched in our mythology with a "firm" of the 1970's and 80's.
Estuary

Postby Heysel76 on Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:08 pm

Slightly (largely) off topic, but the woman who jumped in the boxing ring & clumped the guy who was punching her Son, with her handbag got off scott free as i recall, hic :raver:
Heysel76

Postby mushy on Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:02 am

Back in the early 70's we played Stoke City at home in a drab 0-0 midweek game.
As the final whistle went a woman in a mac, ran from crowd and gave a full on frenzied attack on the referee.
She was eventually stopped but only after six burly (they were all burly in those days) police officers managed to restrain her and she was carried from the pitch.
It barely got a mention in the press, in fact I think the only mention it got was of the 'and finally' comic type approach. Am pretty sure she never got arrested either.

Times have changed.
mushy

Postby Doc H Ball on Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:55 am

mushy wrote:No real fuss when our guy did it, in fact it was looked at by many (not all) as a heroic act back then, and still now I would guess.

Is this a sign of how times have changed, or are we guilty of double standards?

Or both even.

I have started trying to reply to this a few times now.

At first I posted that we can’t measure standards in past times by our standards now, but then that’s half a load of b*llocks. It’s always been wrong to poison your neighbour, **** the bullock*, rob the poor or to clump someone.

People often say that things are getting worse. It’s hard to disagree when you look at the purple ribbons outside. But then the crime rate was far higher in the so called morally straight Victorian era or during the stoic Blitz.

I remember Bonzo having a stand up boxing fight the week before the Cup final. They bent the rules so he could play and lift the Cup. If it happened with Jordan Henderson half the people on here would load up their cars with baked beans and go live in Epping Forest.

Double standards and changing standards.

(* this might be inaccurate)
Doc H Ball

Postby Samba on Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:41 am

Doc H Ball wrote:I remember Bonzo having a stand up boxing fight the week before the Cup final. They bent the rules so he could play and lift the Cup. If it happened with Jordan Henderson half the people on here would load up their cars with baked beans and go live in Epping Forest.

22/04/80:
'Although now in the F.A. Cup Final the Hammers still had promotion hopes and with 6 league games left Birmingham City came to Upton Park. The visitors also had a very good chance of elevation to the top flight, and feelings ran high. Billy Bonds got into a tussle with Colin Todd, and Billy appeared to throw the first punch. It became so intense that both players were exchanging kicks whilst on the ground. When both players were sent off by referee Mr A. Gunn they still appeared to want to carry on in the tunnel. Billy was fortunate that he did not miss the F.A. Cup Final as he had further suspension points, but he was allowed to play, and all Hammers' fans gave a sigh of relief.'

"I had another worry just before the 1980 final when, in a game against Birmingham, me and Colin Todd had a bit of a set-to. We were both sent off and I remember I was sitting in the bath when someone came in and told me that I could miss the final.
"'What have I done?' I thought. I don't know what I would have done if I had missed that final - it would have slaughtered me.
"Luckily for me Ron Greenwood, who was by then England manager, put in a good word for me, they allowed me to play in the final and we beat Arsenal."
Samba

Postby warp on Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:56 am

Heysel76 wrote:Slightly (largely) off topic, but the woman who jumped in the boxing ring & clumped the guy who was punching her Son, with her handbag got off scott free as i recall, hic :raver:

it was a shoe Image

classic!
warp

Location: I am everything about this site which is wrong... i don't give a toss about WHUFC.

Previous

Return to General Discussion