Your England Starting XI

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Re: Your England Starting XI

Postby Coops on Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:50 pm

S-H wrote:Pickford should have been sent off against Newcastle over the weekend.

I really don't rate him, a weak link in an otherwise strong looking England team.

It seems that the Newcastle fans got to him. Very unprofessional for an international goalkeeper.
Coops

Postby Monkeybubbles on Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:54 pm

I think we'd need a 'proper' CM, rather than Rice and a bunch of creative types.

I really rate Delph, but his ship has probably sailed now. Henderson (yeah, I know), Winks (yeah, I know), Cairney maybe....?
Monkeybubbles

Postby S-H on Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:55 pm

Lewis Cook?
S-H

Postby Cockneyboy311 on Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:56 pm

Shame Fabby isn't English. Be 1st choice shirley?
Cockneyboy311

Postby Crouchend_Hammer on Mon Mar 11, 2019 2:01 pm

Monkeybubbles wrote:I think we'd need a 'proper' CM, rather than Rice and a bunch of creative types.

I really rate Delph, but his ship has probably sailed now. Henderson (yeah, I know), Winks (yeah, I know), Cairney maybe....?

I like Delph as well, but he doesn't play enough at the moment [although i don't think that is as important as other people do]
Winks is a good player and will only improve
I can see Rice and Winks being a very good CM partnership over the next couple of years

forgot about Loftus-Cheek. I would love to see him really develop into the midfield presence i think he could become
Crouchend_Hammer

Postby Cockneyboy311 on Mon Mar 11, 2019 2:14 pm

Crouchend_Hammer wrote:
forgot about Loftus-Cheek. I would love to see him really develop into the midfield presence i think he could become

Got a dodgy back apparently. Hopefully he can get it sorted properly as he is definitely a good player and good enough for England.
Cockneyboy311

Postby sendô on Mon Mar 11, 2019 3:52 pm

YorksHammer wrote:Everyone says he's good at shot stopping, but he's really not.

No, he's not good at shot stopping. He's one of those goalkeepers who is crap at positioning himself, and so will make what should be a routine catch into an impressive looking tip around the post, but in reality all he's doing is conceding corners through his poor play.

His mistakes from simple balls are numerous. He should have gone off against Newcastle at the weekend, and who can forget him gifting Liverpool the winner in the merseyside derby. Remember when we played Everton home at the end of last season? We score 3 goals, and I felt he was at least partly at fault for all 3 goals. He's not tall enough and so is not imposing in the air, is crap at corners and crosses, and his distribution is also poor.

Add to that he constantly looks like he's about to do an Adrian and inexplicably do something stupid.

No, I'm not a fan.
sendô

Postby Parkeslife on Mon Mar 11, 2019 4:41 pm

Monkeybubbles wrote:I think we'd need a 'proper' CM, rather than Rice and a bunch of creative types.

Cairney plays for Scotland. Liked him in the Championship, really had his confidence knocked in the Prem, sure there is a player in him though.
Parkeslife

Postby TheHandOfDog on Mon Mar 11, 2019 5:02 pm

Pickford
Walker Stones Gomez Shaw
Rice Henderson
Sterling Sancho
Rashford Kane

Subs: Crouch, Foster, Alexander-Arnold, Chilwell, Barkley, Trippier, Delph

But we all know that Lingard when fit will be in the team because he is Man utd and Dier will be around the camp for some reason.
TheHandOfDog

Postby Crouchend_Hammer on Mon Mar 11, 2019 5:09 pm

Crouchend_Hammer wrote:
we are well stocked at RB

TAA is very good and the deserved number 1
Win Bassaka is certainly one to compete with him moving forward
Trippier had a good world cup but is probably now down the pecking order

However, it is always hard to know how full backs in the Premier League will adapt to international football, as the latter requires more actual defending, and the majority of full backs in the Premier League struggle with that side of the game

EDIT - forgot about Walker as well!

very very strong at RB

LB also well stocked - Shaw, Rose and Chilwell

CB is the clear weakness
Crouchend_Hammer

Postby sendô on Mon Mar 11, 2019 5:37 pm

Parkeslife wrote:Cairney plays for Scotland.

Well that's not stopped us before. Was it just friendlies, perchance?
sendô

Postby Chinners92 on Mon Mar 11, 2019 6:01 pm

TheHandOfDog wrote:Pickford
Walker Stones Gomez Shaw
Rice Henderson
Sterling Sancho
Rashford Kane

Subs: Crouch, Foster, Alexander-Arnold, Chilwell, Barkley, Trippier, Delph

But we all know that Lingard when fit will be in the team because he is Man utd and Dier will be around the camp for some reason.

Exactly the same for me apart from Alli in for Sancho when fit.
Chinners92

Postby Wilko1304 on Tue Mar 12, 2019 2:24 am

Pickford (mainly for his feet)
Walker Gomez Stones Shaw
Rice Ox
Sterling Kane Lingard
Rashford

Not so easy any more, there's many options. Henderson probably should be in over Ox, but his passing does bother me. TAA is possibly a better choice than Walker, Chilwell and Rose could argue their places over Shaw. Maguire is good enough to play, but I like Gomez.

I feel like Rashford leading the line offers pace in behind, but you could easily have Kane up top with him or Kane dropping deeper on breaks for the other three to go beyond.

I do feel like people like Delph and Lallana could break in with more game time, Longstaff could have a future, Sancho should be looking to force his way in too.
Wilko1304

Location: "Once you start complicating things the end result is less inflatables"

Postby hammers92 on Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:06 am

Rice won't walk into the side straight away, he'll have to prove to Southgate he's a better option than the rest. For all his faults, Dier has been great for England when he's played and was very good at the world cup. The same also goes for Henderson. Southgate trusts them to do their job and Rice will need a bit of time to earn that trust in the same way he's done with Pellegrini.
hammers92

Postby S-H on Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:16 am

hammers92 wrote:Rice won't walk into the side straight away, he'll have to prove to Southgate he's a better option than the rest. For all his faults, Dier has been great for England when he's played and was very good at the world cup. The same also goes for Henderson. Southgate trusts them to do their job and Rice will need a bit of time to earn that trust in the same way he's done with Pellegrini.

Rice will walk into that team.
S-H

Postby My_Sobriquet on Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:38 pm

Phil Foden anyone?
My_Sobriquet

Postby SullySpecial on Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:43 pm

I’d give Foden 10 mins... just in case he has an Irish grandparent.
SullySpecial

Postby stu1 on Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:07 pm

————-——Heaton
Walker—Stones—Gomez—Shaw
————Rice——Henderson
Sterling—-—--Ali——Rashford
——————Kane

Unlucky to miss out: Pickford (not that he’s looked very good recently), Wan Bisaka, Maguire, Maddison, Chilwell, Lingard and Sancho.
stu1

Postby prophet:marginal on Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:14 pm

Chilwell for me, over Shaw

Lingard over Alli

Rice on the bench
prophet:marginal

Previous

Return to General Discussion