Your England Starting XI

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Your England Starting XI

Postby HammerAl on Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:00 pm

Purely based on form, who would make your England starting XI?

Mine would look something like this...

Foster
Alexander-Arnold Tarkowski(?) Stones(?) Shaw
Ward-Prowse Rice Maddison
Sterling Kane Rashford

- Foster won't play for England again but I think he's been the best English keeper this season
- Our centre backs seem to be much of a muchness, so could be any of them really...
- Young players like Sancho on the bench to come on and make a difference
HammerAl

Re: Your England Starting XI

Postby sendô on Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:03 pm

I'm astounded how Jordan Pickford both got into the England team, played so well at the World Cup, and has maintained his place in the team since.

He is an awful 'keeper. Bambi on ice isn't the half of it.
sendô

Postby fmgod on Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:08 pm

sendô wrote:I'm astounded how Jordan Pickford both got into the England team, played so well at the World Cup, and has maintained his place in the team since.

He was awful at Sunderland, I don't know how they paid 30 mil for him, shot stopping he is pretty solid, decision making is awful, countless times he would makes some great saves for Sunderland then have an absolute heads gone moment. Almost the modern day David James
fmgod

Postby Patito on Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:09 pm

Not a clue.

Southgate seems to have dropped his 3 at the back system we used in Russia and goes with 433 now.

I like your front 3 - Kane, Rashford, Sterling.

Rice would have to be the holding midfielder, by far the best Englishman in that position.

We always seem to play better with Lingard, he plays inbetween the lines and gets us forward, he'd be in the midfield with Rice + one other.

Trent A-A, Trippier and Walker fighting over right back. Left back, Shaw/Rose/Chilwell.

Stones centre back, probably with Gomez when he's fit.

Edit - Vardy and Sancho to come off the bench :thup:

Goalie is a problem position though. Most in form is Foster or Heaton right now.
Last edited by Patito on Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Patito

Postby S-H on Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:10 pm

Pickford should have been sent off against Newcastle over the weekend.

I really don't rate him, a weak link in an otherwise strong looking England team.
S-H

Postby HammerAl on Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:10 pm

sendô wrote:I'm astounded how Jordan Pickford both got into the England team, played so well at the World Cup, and has maintained his place in the team since.

Completely agree. Some of the saves he's made in the past look good, mainly because he's too short to be a keeper and his positioning in the first place isn't good enough. In fact, watching him on MOTD this morning actually prompted me to create this thread!
HammerAl

Postby Crouchend_Hammer on Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:12 pm

He is poor. No doubt about that
Trouble is there is a serious lack of alternatives

Foster is probably most deserving but has 'retired' and is 36 so a bit pointless calling him up
Butland = also crap
Pope = not played and been injured all season
Etheridge = unfortunately has 70 caps for Philippines
McCarthy = can't get in the Southampton side
Gunn = too inexperienced but probably the long-term answer

Heaton is probably the only realistic alternative at this point

Southgate is a loyal manager, so i expect he will keep faith [in the short-term] with a lot of players who have recently served him well in World Cup and Nations League

Once the Nations League FInals are over, we might see more whole-sale changes
Crouchend_Hammer

Postby Morocco Mole on Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:14 pm

I like the boy at Palace for right back.
Morocco Mole

Postby HammerAl on Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:15 pm

Pats, for some reason I just can't bring myself to put Lingard in there - I'm not sure why but I just don't like him :lol:

And yeah, I think Gomez is our best CB but he's been injured for a long time now. He would be in there when fully fit and firing though without a doubt.

Shame Vardy has retired, what a sub to bring on.
HammerAl

Postby Patito on Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:17 pm

Morocco Mole wrote:I like the boy at Palace for right back.

Good shout. Aaron Wan Bissaka.
Patito

Postby fmgod on Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:17 pm

It's hard to compare Heaton to Pickford though, one plays in a defensive orientated side that most keepers will look good in whereas Everton are far more open, not sticking up for Pickford at all
fmgod

Postby Patito on Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:18 pm

HammerAl wrote:Pats, for some reason I just can't bring myself to put Lingard in there - I'm not sure why but I just don't like him :lol:

It's his face isn't it. The ultimate punch-face! I do quite like the lad after a few things I've seen/heard of him recently though.

HammerAl wrote:And yeah, I think Gomez is our best CB but he's been injured for a long time now. He would be in there when fully fit and firing though without a doubt.

Yeah shame about his injury, hope he's back soon.

HammerAl wrote:Shame Vardy has retired, what a sub to bring on.

Completely forgot about that. Very strange situation.
Patito

Postby Clacton-ammer on Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:20 pm

This is the best set of England players we have had for some time, especially when you consider the young players breaking through :thup:

Real quality throughout the team excluding possibly CB & Goalkeeper presently, I would play Stones & one other from a selection of out of form CB's. Would keep Pickford in there, he has had a few brain farts for us, but he has not let us down, if anything, he thrives in the jersey.

Rice must be selected, if he continues & grows as expected, plus injuries are kind he will smash 50+ caps. Would also have Lingard in there, another who thrives in the shirt.
Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing

Postby S-H on Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:23 pm

I'd be tempted to include Jamaal Lascelles, I really rate him.
S-H

Postby HammerAl on Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:27 pm

S-H wrote:I'd be tempted to include Jamaal Lascelles, I really rate him.

I do too. Would be interesting to see if he could make the step up.
HammerAl

Postby S-H on Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:31 pm

As for goalkeepers, Dean Henderson who is on loan at Sheff Utd from Man Utd, is receiving rave reviews, apparently they have high hopes for him at Old Trafford.
S-H

Postby Crouchend_Hammer on Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:32 pm

Patito wrote:
Good shout. Aaron Wan Bissaka.

we are well stocked at RB

TAA is very good and the deserved number 1
Win Bassaka is certainly one to compete with him moving forward
Trippier had a good world cup but is probably now down the pecking order

However, it is always hard to know how full backs in the Premier League will adapt to international football, as the latter requires more actual defending, and the majority of full backs in the Premier League struggle with that side of the game
Crouchend_Hammer

Postby Briggsy on Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:35 pm

Ben Foster should definitely come out of retirement, I think he's by far the best keeper. The keeper & defence need players they can rely on. I don't think Pickford can be trusted at the moment. He's still a very good keeper though.
Briggsy

Postby YorksHammer on Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:36 pm

He was poor at the World Cup, and barely tested in a lot of our games. He saved less than 70% of the shots he faced, as I remember. Definitely poor for the goal we conceded against Belgium in the group, completely unaware for the Meunier goal in the play-off (got megged) was in no mans land for the goal Panama scored against us, dove out of the way of Mandzukic's extra time goal. Everyone says he's good at shot stopping, but he's really not.

Saw a stat which, if I'm remember it right, said he was now the leading player in terms of errors leading to shots on goal and goals in the Premier League this season. I remember a couple of years ago when Darren Randolph had that 'honour', and look at what we thought of him.
YorksHammer

Postby Crouchend_Hammer on Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:43 pm

Briggsy wrote:Ben Foster should definitely come out of retirement, I think he's by far the best keeper. The keeper & defence need players they can rely on. I don't think Pickford can be trusted at the moment. He's still a very good keeper though.

Whilst I agree with that, i would argue that recalling a 36 old keeper is a little bit pointless
I would probably prefer to give Angus Gunn a go
Crouchend_Hammer

Next

Return to General Discussion