tony carr - telegraph

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

tony carr - telegraph

Postby KUMB Insider on Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:32 am

morning all

saw this nice article this morning

https://digitaledition.telegraph.co.uk/ ... GCTPVKXNOA

perhaps a mod can paste this link better for me

haha

:crest:
KUMB Insider

Re: tony carr - telegraph

Postby HarlowEssexHammer on Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:04 am

The man should be given a suite with his name above it for life, not scrabbling around for spares when he wants to come and watch us.
HarlowEssexHammer

Postby pezza20 on Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:32 am

A good piece but in truth Carr's position was under scrutiny because we had lacked players coming through for a number of years and moving him upstairs was something they never did for Lyall. I don't think he wanted to work with Westley hence why he left.
pezza20

Postby Mega Ron on Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:38 am

pezza20 wrote:A good piece but in truth Carr's position was under scrutiny because we had lacked players coming through for a number of years and moving him upstairs was something they never did for Lyall. I don't think he wanted to work with Westley hence why he left.

Whose truth?

And under scrutiny from this lot? Anyone under their scrutiny gets a free pass afaic
Mega Ron

Postby szola on Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:50 am

They have always been and will always be my club and if there was any way in the future I could go back and be of some value I would be happy to do that

He is 68. I'm not saying he should go fishing or take up knitting, but in what capacity would he be of use to Pellegrini's team?
szola

Postby KUMB Insider on Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:40 am

szola

i think what he is saying is he wants to return in any capacity
KUMB Insider

Postby Estuary on Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:07 pm

Utter madness not to use a man of his experience in some sort of scouting capacity. I know there were rumblings about his pay levels as head of the academy, as well as the lack of through put in his later years, but them's the breaks in sport, to me it makes no sense to throw the baby out with the bathwater. :?
Estuary

Postby szola on Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:11 pm

KUMB Insider wrote:i think what he is saying is he wants to return in any capacity

I understand that, but what roles within the club could he fill?
Apart from PR-related work?

Genuine question.

(and also, why work?)
szola

Postby szola on Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:12 pm

Estuary wrote:Utter madness not to use a man of his experience in some sort of scouting capacity.

Is it utter madness if our current manager has a team he trusts and finds capable of filling those roles?
szola

Postby hammerleroy on Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:13 pm

Tony you're better out of it all. Sorry but it's the truth.
hammerleroy

Postby Roby on Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:16 pm

szola wrote:He is 68. I'm not saying he should go fishing or take up knitting, but in what capacity would he be of use to Pellegrini's team?

He’s only 3 years older than El Pel.

Maybe he could come on board and help him not lose to crap teams in the League Cup?
Roby

Postby thejackhammer on Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:10 pm

We lost to Tottenham in the league cup...
thejackhammer

Postby mushy on Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:23 pm

pezza20 wrote:A good piece but in truth Carr's position was under scrutiny because we had lacked players coming through for a number of years and moving him upstairs was something they never did for Lyall. I don't think he wanted to work with Westley hence why he left.

We lack players coming through because of our recruitment methods, nothing to do with Carrs coaching.

Or to be more realistic, the mega rich clubs hoover up any kid aged 5 or over that can actually kick a football.

How is Terry Westley doing anyway?
mushy

Postby Estuary on Tue Mar 12, 2019 2:59 pm

Is it utter madness if our current manager has a team he trusts and finds capable of filling those roles?

That's the point, current manager. And in two seasons when he and his entire staff are gone? Then what? Back to the drawing board? Tony could add an element of continuity and in all probability a better eye for developing players.
Estuary

Postby szola on Tue Mar 12, 2019 3:13 pm

Estuary wrote:That's the point, current manager. And in two seasons when he and his entire staff are gone? Then what? Back to the drawing board? Tony could add an element of continuity and in all probability a better eye for developing players.

What you are describing is the role of the Director of Football. It's been discussed on here a few times. As it stands that role has been filled.

As for developing players, my impression is that also that part of the game has changed. Has Carr himself been developing in order to keep up? Who is the youngest addition from his Academy who has made it to a National team? Or a top tier team?

Roby wrote:He’s only 3 years older than El Pel. Maybe he could come on board and help him not lose to crap teams in the League Cup?

He is. And another slight difference is that Pellegrini has been keeping himself at the top of his profession since moving to Europe, apart from a few years in China, making good money.

Has Carr every helped our 1st team progress in a cup? Why would that even be a good idea?
szola

Postby e17 on Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:12 pm

The list of players the bloke brought through for us is amazing.

He shouldn’t be having to offer his services
e17

Postby Gsbgsb on Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:47 pm

So would you employ him on the footballing side if the current manager did not want him?

The decision of whether he has a part to play in the footballing side of affairs needs to rest with the MP/MH axis. We have complained about board interference on the football side for far too long let’s not start encouraging it. If they do not care if he is a scout for example then fine give him a role because of his history.

Absent a footballing role, eg some role as an ambassador etc should be for the board.
Gsbgsb

Postby Los Martillos on Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:53 pm

Tony Carr is a legend. Developed some great players - sadly most were sold.
His memoir will be fascinating.
:crest:
Los Martillos

Postby OohAahButler on Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:00 pm

I’m with Estuary: he’d surely have a value to the club at least as a club scout, without stepping on any toes. And who better to send out to help persuade a promising kid to sign on the dotted line than a man with his pedigree?

Ain’t going to happen though - it would involve those upstairs admitting they were wrong to let him go.
OohAahButler

Postby The Old Mile End on Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:02 am

Estuary wrote:Tony could add an element of continuity and in all probability a better eye for developing players.

Spot on.

Tony Carr is the epitome of what the real West Ham is all about. You don't cast these people off, they are gold dust. You look after them and learn from them.
The Old Mile End

Next

Return to General Discussion