Sam Byram

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Sam Byram

Postby Hamburger on Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:09 am

Great news for the lad. Good luck Sam.

https://www.nottinghampost.com/sport/fo ... am-2633497
Hamburger

Re: Sam Byram

Postby pezza20 on Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:23 am

Yes Sam is a lovely lad, very down to earth and no big time charlie - great to see him come back from what was a nasty injury - maybe still hope for him over at our place when he gets back to full fitness.
pezza20

Postby LeonRivers on Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:51 am

Great news. Hopefully he can stay niggle free and engage in a full pre-season.
LeonRivers

Postby szola on Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:53 am

Can Pellegrini stop him from receiving yellows in every game, hold the offside line and play out from the back?

Does sound a bit too steep.
szola

Postby Billy Hunt on Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:21 am

szola wrote:Can Pellegrini stop him from receiving yellows in every game, hold the offside line and play out from the back?

Does sound a bit too steep.

,,,and help him not to panic and just kick the ball anywhere in the final 3rd of the pitch? I doubt it
Billy Hunt

Postby prophet:marginal on Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:59 am

Ahh, the old 'recovering from terrible injury, but lets slag him off anyway' thread.

Site institution.
prophet:marginal

Postby Billy Hunt on Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:04 pm

prophet:marginal wrote:Ahh, the old 'recovering from terrible injury, but lets slag him off anyway' thread.

Site institution.

Hardly slagging him off is it ? IMO he has shown he is not good enough at the top level
Billy Hunt

Postby szola on Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:15 pm

prophet:marginal wrote:Ahh, the old 'recovering from terrible injury, but lets slag him off anyway' thread.

Site institution.

:?

pezza20 wrote: maybe still hope for him over at our place when he gets back to full fitness.

Is it slagging off when you have someone wanting him playing for us, and me questioning why?
szola

Postby ageing hammer on Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:36 pm

Good to see any player recovering from an injury.

You never know maybe Pelle can get him fit next season and develop him into a good enough player.

His past performances were not too bad in the oppositions half but he was lacking a bit on the defensive side and constantly grabbing players and getting yellows for it.

If that can be coacehd out of him then he is young enough to see if he has what it takes.

Nice to read that he is no Diva and good luck to him. :thup:
ageing hammer

Postby funky chicken on Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:45 pm

He's not good enough IMO. And the amount of injuries he's had he doesn't deserve another chance. He's had plenty of chances. As has Carroll and Reid. I would even be tempted to rip up Wilshere's contract too.
funky chicken

Postby Jimmy Ruffell on Tue Mar 12, 2019 3:34 pm

Still a better defender than Arthur....fact!
Met him in Club London before he went on loan to Forest, clearly needs to be more muscular and bulk up similar to Reece Burke, very very slim. Wish him all the best in his comeback, I would like to see him work under Pellegrini if its possible in the Summer, I just think there is something in the lad.
Jimmy Ruffell

Postby LeonRivers on Tue Mar 12, 2019 4:22 pm

ageing hammer wrote:Good to see any player recovering from an injury.

You never know maybe Pelle can get him fit next season and develop him into a good enough player.

...and THAT is the crux of it. :thup:
He's had no time working with the best manager we've known. Maybe that's what he needs to improve. Maybe he just needs some experiance. It's not as though he's ever been as bad as Paintsil or shown inability to the degree of Repka or Dailly at their worst.

We used to support our players. Some people on here are ****ing mystifying.
LeonRivers

Postby Johnny_C WHU on Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:14 pm

Byram was also involved in a team that was hugely unbalanced and to be fair I think most right backs would have suffered during that time.

People claim he has no defensive qualities; it is so hard to track and mark when you have no support in front of you. We had no defensive midfielders, opened up more frequently than an Essex birds legs and a right winger who played more like a forward.

Pellers has worked wonders with some of the players I had near enough written off, lets hope Sam is another.
Johnny_C WHU

Postby WestHamByTheSea on Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:22 am

On the one hand he has had a few chances now and seen to be both a wee bit injury and yellow card-prone. However, despite the current ennui about the place which always happens after a defeat, I'd say one highlight this season has been Pellers getting a tune out of a few players who at the very least had lost their way a bit and in one or two cases seemed doomed never to prosper for us again - thinking about the likes of Cresswell, Snodders, Antonio - as well as developing and picking plenty of young(er) players. Byram isn't a kid anymore but is still youngish and potentially malleable for development and adjustment.

With all this in mind, might there be a way back in for him as cover at left-back? A right-footer at LB is not uncommon (I remember George Parris doing so well there as a young player), and might even be conducive (with good coaching and advice) in helping eliminate much of the grabbing and pulling that so often ensured free-kicks aplenty and a yellow per game even when he otherwise demonstrated a decent understanding and execution of the rest of his defensive duties. Defending ostensibly off his 'other shoulder', so to speak, just might be an opportunity to tweak his game and try to iron out some of the deficiencies. I know this is a long shot but thought I'd just suggest it; I'm fairly sure he's played LB before anyway, and frankly after this season I'd have fancied him at LB when he was still in hospital rather than Masuaku.

So there might be a way back for him yet; were he to battle back then in the long-term he'd make a decent sub - might be able to cover LB/RB/wing-back. Not holding my breath, but I don't want to send him to the glue factory yet. Main thing though is that he gets back after that injury and gets playing again - seems like a good kid so best of luck to him wherever his future is. :thup:
WestHamByTheSea

Location: Turning the TV off, making some tea, and saying modern life well it's rubbish...

Postby costa75 on Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:03 am

Good luck to Sam.......

However, I never saw anything from him to suggest that he is, or will be a Premier League player. By all accounts he's a top lad, so would love to be proved wrong on that.
costa75

Postby Burnley Hammer on Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:33 pm

One attribute that he does have, and which we are missing at the moment, is the ability to win an aerial challenge.
Burnley Hammer

Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham

Postby Roby on Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:40 pm

Is next season the final one on his contract?

If so there is no harm on bringing him back in the summer and letting him compete with Fredericks for the right back spot.

Doubt we'd get any more than a token £1m for him now after his injuries but he is still young and could turn it around.
Roby

Return to General Discussion