Midweek Fixtures 12/3 13/3 14/3

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Re: Midweek Fixtures

Postby stu1 on Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:52 pm

WCpete wrote:what a dumbazz Correa is. What was he hoping would happen by shoving Bernadeschi over in the box? Nitwit.

The commentator also said this was the reason for the pen but it was definitely for clipping the players heels, push or not the Juve player was always the hitting deck.
stu1

Re: Midweek Fixtures 12/3 13/3

Postby Thekorean on Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:13 pm

Edited by a moderator
Thekorean

Postby szola on Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:56 am

There has only been one player to score a hattrick against Atletico Madrid since Simeone took charge.
1!

The best about both of the otherworldly players we have at the moment, is that both Messi and Ronaldo are fantastic team players.

Ronaldo has now scored on average one goal per game in the Champions league.
He has scored as many in the knock out stage as the 3rd, 4th, 5th player in that list in total.
:shock:

Fingers crossed for a Juventus - Manchester City final
szola

Postby Clacton-ammer on Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:01 am

stu1 wrote:Ronaldo seals his hat-rick with a pen......blokes unreal

Ronaldo for me is the epitome of all that is wrong with modern football, but there is no doubting that he is the best/one of the best footballers we have ever seen, incredible footballer.

Never saw the PSG/Juve result after the first leg.

Draw will be interesting, can't see all the "English" sides missing each other. Bayern/Liverpool will be a decent watch.

Ipswich got another point, too little too late sadly.
Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing

Postby fmgod on Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:04 am

Allegri what a manager! It's why he is brillant, got to be one of the best Champions League performances in years, never expected that result in a million years. Think Siemone may move on, if he anyone can match his wages, what more can he do at Athletico and with Godin probably going in the summer too, feels like the end of an era there

Bristol City gone to pot in recent weeks and Sheffield Wednesday looking very strong and with a bit of luck could get in the playoffs.

I fancy Bayern tonight, played very well recently after been poor most of the season but Kimmich and Muller suspended. James Rodriguez could win the game on his own if on form and Gnarby against Robertson could be interesting, I don't think Robertson is that amazing defensively, lots of goals come from him not marking the man properly.
fmgod

Postby claretandblue82 on Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:17 am

Not really a fan of the CL but this round of fixtures has probably been the best for a very long time with Ajax, Porto, Man Utd and Juventus all overcoming first 1st leg defeats. Could be another shock if Lyon get a result at Barcelona. Come on Munich too!
claretandblue82

Postby DasNutNock on Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:27 am

124 Champions League goals in 160 apps. Bloody hell.
DasNutNock

Postby S-H on Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:30 am

DasNutNock wrote:124 Champions League goals in 160 apps. Bloody hell.

Exceptional.
S-H

Postby Patito on Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:53 am

fmgod wrote:Allegri what a manager! It's why he is brillant, got to be one of the best Champions League performances in years, never expected that result in a million years.

:thup: I thought Juve had made a mistake in getting rid of Conte at the time. Allegri did a pretty average job at Milan but he's pushed Juve onto another level now.
Patito

Postby szola on Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:33 pm

Juventus didn't get rid of Conte.
After Prandelli resigned, Conte took over as the National Team's head coach.

Conte brought Juventus back on top in Italy, Allegri took them a step further in Europe.
szola

Postby Crouchend_Hammer on Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:52 pm

Clacton-ammer wrote:
Ronaldo for me is the epitome of all that is wrong with modern football, but there is no doubting that he is the best/one of the best footballers we have ever seen, incredible footballer.

Never understood this point of view tbf. He seems an extremely dedicated professional, who has given his all for every team he has played for
Why do you think that, out of interest?
Crouchend_Hammer

Postby stu1 on Wed Mar 13, 2019 3:42 pm

Same question as Crouchie.

If Arnoutovic had Ronaldo’s attitude he’d be twice the player he currently is and would have 15-20 goals this season.

Ronaldo could have gone China for an obscene amount of money in the summer, but he’s too focused on wanting to be considered the GOAT, even aged 34.
stu1

Postby Patito on Wed Mar 13, 2019 3:58 pm

szola wrote:Juventus didn't get rid of Conte.
After Prandelli resigned, Conte took over as the National Team's head coach.

Conte brought Juventus back on top in Italy, Allegri took them a step further in Europe.

:thup:

You are right. Makes sense as they would have been crazy to get rid of him!
Patito

Postby Clacton-ammer on Wed Mar 13, 2019 3:59 pm

No issues with dedication as a footballer, he would not have achieved what he did without focus & dedication to his sport, even with the huge amount of natural talent he has, he still worked his socks off to achieve what he has, respect that totally.

My issue in the main is the money side of football, you could replace football with the American sports I know, but I love(d) football. The new "Sky" footballer/supporter etc. He is at the top of that list with one/two others of what money does/has done to the game.

I know it is not his fault, market dictates etc etc I know all that, but that is why he is the epitome of what's wrong in the modern game.
Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing

Postby warp on Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:40 pm

Clacton-ammer wrote:I know it is not his fault, market dictates etc etc I know all that, but that is why he is the epitome of what's wrong in the modern game.

i think players threatening to **** off unless they get a pay rise, or getting lazy as soon as they get a big contract as they know they're untouchable are much more representing of modern football.

i can't remember him doing either.

he's not even that much of a cheat, certainly compared to a lot of other players (just watch chiellini's antics in yesterday's game).
warp

Location: I am everything about this site which is wrong... i don't give a toss about WHUFC.

Postby Clacton-ammer on Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:46 pm

Warp, you just spoke about modern football, as for Ronaldo not cheating / sulking / demanding - you are surely having a laugh.
Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing

Postby warp on Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:59 pm

Clacton-ammer wrote:Warp, you just spoke about modern football

which you say ronaldo epitomises. apart that he doesn't, if that's modern football and he does not behave like that, or not as much as others.

Clacton-ammer wrote:as for Ronaldo not cheating / sulking / demanding - you are surely having a laugh.

ho he does. more than most?
warp

Location: I am everything about this site which is wrong... i don't give a toss about WHUFC.

Postby Clacton-ammer on Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:03 pm

Sulking / demands he is right up there, I just googled Ronaldo cheating / sulking / demands, have a look.

He is one of the highest profile sportsman on the planet, so yeah, my point stands for me.

Not for you, personally don't get your argument, you don't get mine, opinions innit.
Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing

Postby warp on Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:42 pm

Clacton-ammer wrote:Sulking / demands he is right up there, I just googled Ronaldo cheating / sulking / demands, have a look.

as i said, i know he does.
if we're taking google as proof, we should then do the same with every other high profile footballer, take into account the different levels of "high-profileness" and see who's on top. and i am neglecting other major contributions regarding attitude of the press for different championships and nationalities.
i'll pass on that!

what do you think are the worst things in modern football?
if you think ronaldo is the worst at most, i may disagree, but i get it.

if it is just because he is the major exponent of a product you don't like as much as you used to, even though he had pretty much no say in how the product changed, then it seems a bit of a knee jerk reaction, or a way to deal with a particular frustration. which i have no problem with, by the way.
warp

Postby Clacton-ammer on Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:13 pm

Now that's an interesting discussion Warp in "worst things in modern football" :thup:

Crikey, where to start, I want to write this without "everything in the old days was better", as it isn't, and I don't want to sound like my dad!

The PL/Sky money changed football, no one can ever argue it did not. It changed it so much that it is almost as if football before the invention of the PL did not exist, particularly in the media. It is all about the money now and staying on the gravy train of the PL. You hear many supporters knock the cups as getting 1st to 4th is the holy grail or 7th for the has beens like us, I hate that modern slant to football passionately.

I was rightly pulled on here in one thread, pulled maybe the wrong word, about player power. They had it in the 70's/80's, but nothing to the extent of what it is now.

The new breed of players, due in main to academies are taken out the real world from a very young age now. Two issues with that, if they do not make it they can be proper ****ed in life (all be it I read that academies are changing that and bringing in more life lessons), they make it, millionaires from a stupid young age, creating very shallow personalities (not all I know). We have seen it in our own club recently.

I have more, but a starting point :D
Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion