Battle for Promotion: Who do you want?

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Re: Battle for Promotion: Who do you want?

Postby sutts07 on Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:33 pm

Leeds Norwich and Villa to come up for me.

Three decent away days.
sutts07

Postby johnnyb on Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:49 pm

Marky wrote:Quite like Sheff Wed to come up

Me too. Proper old school club. For no reason, I've always had a soft spot for them even though I saw us lose 7-0 up there with my dear old dad in the early sixties.
johnnyb

Postby ereford ammer on Thu Mar 14, 2019 5:49 pm

Anybody but the blunts.
ereford ammer

Postby chigwells finest on Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:07 pm

leeds norwich and bristol city i hope
chigwells finest

Postby Coops on Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:09 pm

Sheffield Wednesday because the blunts are my most hated side so seeing their rivals prosper is all good.

Norwich: I've always had a soft spot for them since John Bond was their manager, also the mother in law lives just up the road so it could be a good for somewhere to pass out after an away day (assuming I can get a ticket).

I don't care apart from that really, although I don't want Leeds to be promoted as I have always hated them.
Coops

Postby Hemel Iron on Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:25 pm

I would have thought hating a club is a good reason to want a team to come up.

Currently, I find a lot of teams bland. If we lose to a Bournemouth, Huddersfield or Cardiff, it is frustrating obviously but no real feeling against the teams, just disappointing we haven’t done well.

Equally there is no real extra thrill in beating these types beyond the normal thrill a win brings.

Meanwhile, I think the emotional thrill or disappointment would be increased if you replaced the dross listed above with teams like Leeds and Sheffield Utd.

Wouldn’t mind Wednesday up though as they are my Dad’s team.
Hemel Iron

Postby Coops on Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:06 pm

Hemel Iron wrote:I would have thought hating a club is a good reason to want a team to come up.

Currently, I find a lot of teams bland. If we lose to a Bournemouth, Huddersfield or Cardiff, it is frustrating obviously but no real feeling against the teams, just disappointing we haven’t done well.

Equally there is no real extra thrill in beating these types beyond the normal thrill a win brings.

Meanwhile, I think the emotional thrill or disappointment would be increased if you replaced the dross listed above with teams like Leeds and Sheffield Utd.

Wouldn’t mind Wednesday up though as they are my Dad’s team.

I see your point but I make Sheffield United the exception to that rule. I don't ever want to see them in the Premier League again. I want to see them miss out and then drop like a stone.
This isn't the usual football rivalry, what I feel about those ***** goes way beyond that
Coops

Postby Korea Hammer on Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:43 pm

I lived in Leeds for a while and have a soft spot for them, so I'd like them to come up. I like sleeping giants waking up, too.

I can see both sides of the Sheffield United thing, but on balance I hope they miss out to an offside goal and a couple of dodgy refereeing decisions in the play-off final, and then subside into an (unsuccessful) relegation battle next season. I suppose that means Norwich, although I have no real feelings about them either way.

To make it funnier still, Sheffield Wednesday to make a late run and come up through the play offs would be my other preference. If not them, Villa.
Korea Hammer

Postby brothernero on Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:27 pm

Coops wrote

"I see your point but I make Sheffield United the exception to that rule. I don't ever want to see them in the Premier League again. I want to see them miss out and then drop like a stone.
This isn't the usual football rivalry, what I feel about those ***** goes way beyond that
"

Same here, could not agree more. :thup:
brothernero

Postby vietnammer on Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:58 pm

Korea Hammer wrote:I can see both sides of the Sheffield United thing, but on balance I hope they miss out to an offside goal and a couple of dodgy refereeing decisions in the play-off final, and then subside into an (unsuccessful) relegation battle next season. I suppose that means Norwich, although I have no real feelings about them either way.

To make it funnier still, Sheffield Wednesday to make a late run and come up through the play offs would be my other preference. If not them, Villa.

Don't think Sheff Utd will make top two, Norwich and Leeds seem to just be better than them. On the other hand I think they're probably better (on current form) than the others in the play-off four so they may well be coming up. It's funny how they seemed to get their act together only after our welfare payments stopped. I have to give them credit cos they did a similar thing last season, then ran out of steam, but they have lasted longer this season so far. As for the Owls, I'd much rather see them come up but though Steve Bruce seems to have had a real impact there I think it's probably too late.
If the Blunts make it I'll be looking forward to trying to get a ticket for the away game cos they're just down the road. Think both Sheffield clubs would struggle in the Prem, though, unless they go hugely into debt.
Leeds and Norwich are nailed on I think, and I think Leeds will survive.
vietnammer
Bucky the beaver

Postby Tenbury on Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:02 am

Albion, for the same reason as Doc, but in truth all I really want to see is the Blunts lose the play off.
Tenbury

Postby Patito on Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:31 am

Key game tomorrow lunchtime in the automatic promotion race as Sheffield United travel to Elland Rd.
Patito

Postby S-H on Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:33 am

Patito wrote:Key game tomorrow lunchtime in the automatic promotion race as Sheffield United travel to Elland Rd.

Massive game.
S-H

Postby Corney Beal on Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:19 am

Anyone but L***s United.
Corney Beal

Postby Greatest Cockney Rip Off on Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:20 am

Sheffield Wednesday
Norwich
Forest.

Can't stand Leeds, **** ground and **** fans. Last time I was up there, we got held back for ages and everyone took the piss out of one of the stewards haircuts which was mildly amusing but all in all a **** place. Got abused by the bus driver too on the way back in to town for being a "bloody Cockney ... I 'ate flash Cockney bastards" were his exact words. I gave him an earful back and even some northern bloke on the bus had a go at him and it turned funny when they found out he was from Barnsley, they started abusing him even more. He turned round to me halfway through and stated "they're all ***** up in Barnsley".
Greatest Cockney Rip Off

Postby Liam on Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:48 am

Greatest Cockney Rip Off wrote:Sheffield Wednesday
Norwich
Forest.

That would be some collapse for Leeds and Sheff United to lose a 20 point lead over Forest or Wednesday!!

As it looks like 2 from Norwich, Sheff United and Leeds, i'd like to see the blades miss out and then see them lose in the playoff final to Bristol City.
Liam

Postby YorksHammer on Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:11 pm

Leeds and Norwich have been, by far, the most interesting clubs of the top three to watch this season. Sheffield United have been boringly serviceable, it almost feels like luck that they're there in third.

So the top two now are definitely who I'd want for automatic promotion.

As for the play-offs, it's a crap shoot as to who might even make it in at the moment, let along win them. Villa and Preston, and to some extent Sheffield Wednesday, are in good form and within four points, while West Brom, Middlesbrough, and Derby are having shaky moments.

I think the play-offs will probably be Sheffield United, West Brom, Middlesbrough (who will likely hang on due to defensive resilience), and Villa.

Would like Villa to get the final spot out of those four.
YorksHammer

Postby Coops on Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:17 pm

Some very big clubs looking likely to come up (apart from Norwich). I suppose it is a good thing for the Premier League.
Coops

Postby Greatest Cockney Rip Off on Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:45 pm

Liam wrote:That would be some collapse for Leeds and Sheff United to lose a 20 point lead over Forest or Wednesday!!

As it looks like 2 from Norwich, Sheff United and Leeds, i'd like to see the blades miss out and then see them lose in the playoff final to Bristol City.

I've made a pact with the devil. If he makes this happen I've promised him my left bollock.
Greatest Cockney Rip Off

Postby brothernero on Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:39 pm

If I am correct Sheffield United have reached 7 play-offs over the years and failed to win promotion every time.

The best was when Huddersfield in League 1 missed their first 3 penalties when the game went to a Penalty shoot-out v Sheffield United and still went on to win. :D
brothernero

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion