Hammers United..No Summer Holiday for hard working HU gang..

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Re: Hammers United Launch

Postby Kialos on Sun Mar 17, 2019 11:50 am

I agree that you can't reason with these owners but I guess you have to attempt some kind of dialogue first before deciding if protests or other actions are called for.
Kialos

Postby OllyWHU6 on Sun Mar 17, 2019 11:53 am

I have a few questions/qualms that I post here in good faith not to the derision of anyone that will stand up for the fans. Anyone giving up their time in that pursuit at least deserves the good faith to be heard out.

1) I ask this genuinely, what will be different about this group in terms of functioning with the board or ability to turn an opinion held by the membership into actions? Thus far every group that has met with the board has had limited success in truly translating their ideas into action unless you count a few flags before the game. If it is not a protest group but seeks to work with the club what steps do they propose for when the inevitable inactions occur.

2) perhaps I’m in the minority with this but I always find the phrase non-political a cause for concern. Unfortunately nowadays politics is so pervasive it is a part of any groups identity. For example the last group claiming to be non-political was the FLA and I don’t think I’m out of line to suggest that was not the case in action. I fear non-political can often mean we don’t want to talk about politics even if it is self-evident within the group. So In that sense how can the group assess and address itself if it begins to appear political.

3) I may have missed this so apologies if so, but how will the agenda for the group be set if the committee is assigned and not elected? For example they may feel strongly about a single issue, that doesn’t reflect the membership but is still pursued with zeal. How can the membership of the group reign in the committee if necessary?

Again I ask all of this genuinely with no agenda behind it, I hope the group can make an impact just a few concerns or queries I have at first read through.
OllyWHU6

Postby Up the Junction on Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:41 pm

The Moth wrote:The fans who made their voices heard at the Burnley game put more pressure on the owners then any type of organised action group.

I think you're ignoring the likelihood that Burnley would almost certainly never have happened without the promise of a march or several meetings with Brady beforehand, Moth.

That said, if I were inclined to protest about our Board in future I'm not sure I'd even bother with dialogue first, as Brady has shown nothing but contempt for the views of supporters she cannot control. Just look at all those 'we commit' statements she made last year that have come to nothing.
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place

Postby Northbank Bar on Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:40 pm

Olly just seen your post.I am working till late tonight but will respond to you in the morning.-Promise.
Northbank Bar

Postby Northbank Bar on Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:47 am

Good Morning Olly.I will answer your questions best I can.-But you must remember this group has been in existence around 3 days.

1.Should the Board not engage then the group will be very proactive.It will campaign vigorously towards achieving dialogue.They have ideas on how to go about this but have asked me to respect confidentiality .I am sure you will understand this.

2.perhaps the words non-political were not the best choice.We are working men and women,not lawyers or docters.We are determined to act profesionally,with integrity.We were attempting to stress we are determined to avoid the divisions of last year.

3.The Committee had to set the original agenda as we had no members.We are all regular fans mixing with the West Ham family every week so we have our fingers on the pulse .We will of course react to our members wishes and have already taken suggestions on board.

Hope this helps.
NBB.
Northbank Bar

Postby mushy on Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:13 am

I dont see whats wrong at all with declaring yourselves as non-political, especially when you consider some of the goings on of the other fan groups.
My only concern with Hammers United is that appears to be a Facebook group, for those of us that cannot see whats going on on Facebook, its a bit of a chore.
I dont do Facebook but I did google the group and couldnt find it apart from the official web page.

Be prepared also for people to trawl through your personal facebook pages looking for any hint of liking a post from the dfla or Sadiq Khan. Both are hanging offences in the social media world we currently live in, you will sadly be targeted and abused in a way you never thought possible.
Good luck for doing this and putting your heads above the precipice.
mushy

Postby Northbank Bar on Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:21 am

Mushy.Over 100 (in 3 days) have joined up by EMail and asked to receive information that way.
Northbank Bar

Postby mushy on Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:24 am

Ok thanks.
I will try the email method.
Are there any reasons you chose the Facebook open forum method?
I only ask because having seen the RWHFAG's efforts at doing this, I would say that moderating a group like that must be a full time job. A thankless task to say the least.
mushy

Postby Northbank Bar on Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:20 pm

Mushy you are right.I have been on this solidly since 7 this morning.We expected apathy.But I have been so disappointed by the hostility we have encountered from fellow supporters.I for one did not expect that.All we are is a group of West Ham Fans trying to improve things.What is wrong with that?
Northbank Bar

Postby Marlow Vaderman on Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:15 pm

Not sure what the issue is and where the negativity is coming from. What difference does this group make to others? Hammers United have formed to try and bring together supporters from anywhere and everywhere. We are looking to gather numbers and engage in dialogue with the club. We all know this isn’t going to be easy, some would say a thankless or impossible task but none the less here we are. We are not trying to overtake or replace other groups. All we ask is check it out, join if you fancy it. If it’s not your thing then fine but don’t just discredit another group just because it’s there.
We all want most of the same things.
We all support the same team.
We probably sit near or next to each other and cheer together..
We’re all West Ham ain’t we? ⚒⚒
Marlow Vaderman

Postby S-H on Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:17 pm

Marlow Vaderman wrote:Not sure what the issue is and where the negativity is coming from. What difference does this group make to others? Hammers United have formed to try and bring together supporters from anywhere and everywhere. We are looking to gather numbers and engage in dialogue with the club. We all know this isn’t going to be easy, some would say a thankless or impossible task but none the less here we are. We are not trying to overtake or replace other groups. All we ask is check it out, join if you fancy it. If it’s not your thing then fine but don’t just discredit another group just because it’s there.
We all want most of the same things.
We all support the same team.
We probably sit near or next to each other and cheer together..
We’re all West Ham ain’t we? ⚒⚒

You won't find any negativity from me, I wish you all the best going forward.

:crest:
S-H

Postby ChikinRun on Mon Mar 18, 2019 3:09 pm

I know one of the people involved with the formation of Hammers United and I can only say how dedicated he is to our club. I view him simply as one of the best fans any club could hope for and he has been since I first went to games with him back in 1972. As a fellow Hammer who loves our club, I can see no reason not to support this new group and I wish them all the best. Yes, they will need dedication and wisdom, and it would seem they will need to earn respect in many quarters....I reckon they will do that if they speak and act within the admirable ethos implied by the group’s name. I certainly hope so. Best of luck.
COYI
ChikinRun

Postby Up the Junction on Mon Mar 18, 2019 3:29 pm

Northbank Bar wrote: I have been so disappointed by the hostility we have encountered from fellow supporters.I for one did not expect that.

Sadly NB it's par for the course in recent years for anyone sticking their head above the parapet in an attempt to help their fellow fans.

Although not all negativity will be coming from genuine supporters - there are other agents at work.
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place

Postby sutts07 on Mon Mar 18, 2019 3:34 pm

Up the Junction wrote:I think you're ignoring the likelihood that Burnley would almost certainly never have happened without the promise of a march or several meetings with Brady beforehand, Moth.

Or indeed the performance and result on the day.
sutts07

Postby SammyLeeWasOffside on Mon Mar 18, 2019 3:41 pm

All that talk about GSB using divide and conquer tactics, they shouldn't bother we are pretty good at that on our own.
SammyLeeWasOffside

Postby Big George on Mon Mar 18, 2019 3:41 pm

Marlow Vaderman wrote:We’re all West Ham ain’t we? ⚒⚒

The last person to say that to me from the RWHFAG then behaved in a way which suggested he wasn't entirely committed to the idea.

I wish you all the best but as a WHUISA veteran, now no longer involved, I can tell you, you will get a lot more stick than asking mildly probing questions if you are to have any success. You'll get it from the most surprising sources. There are some nasty b**gers out there.

If you want to make an impact, the club and the new SAB will try to stop you. It's chilling at times.
Last edited by Big George on Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Big George

Postby mushy on Mon Mar 18, 2019 3:57 pm

Northbank Bar wrote:Mushy you are right.I have been on this solidly since 7 this morning.We expected apathy.But I have been so disappointed by the hostility we have encountered from fellow supporters.I for one did not expect that.All we are is a group of West Ham Fans trying to improve things.What is wrong with that?

Thats a real shame, what form is the abuse taking?

Also, bearing in mind how sparse the website is, would it be an idea to have a link to your facebook page on the website itself?
Good luck guys.
Last edited by mushy on Mon Mar 18, 2019 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mushy

Postby Big George on Mon Mar 18, 2019 3:58 pm

SammyLeeWasOffside wrote:All that talk about GSB using divide and conquer tactics, they shouldn't bother we are pretty good at that on our own.

To be fair, they do play us like a fiddle.
Big George

Postby Kentish Hammer on Mon Mar 18, 2019 6:34 pm

George, for the sake of effecting change at the club you need to come out and say what's been going on. I know it can't be easy but if every action group is going to be thwarted by threats and underhand tactics then we have lost the club forever.

What form does the abuse take? Threats? Violence? Personal life matters?

If so surely its something that can be exposed to the press, police, premier league, FSF etc who would act on the details, especially if there is a link to the owners in any way. We need to fight fire with fire in my opinion, time to stand up and be counted as a fanbase once again.
Kentish Hammer

Postby OllyWHU6 on Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:07 pm

Northbank Bar wrote:Good Morning Olly.I will answer your questions best I can.-But you must remember this group has been in existence around 3 days.

1.Should the Board not engage then the group will be very proactive.It will campaign vigorously towards achieving dialogue.They have ideas on how to go about this but have asked me to respect confidentiality .I am sure you will understand this.

2.perhaps the words non-political were not the best choice.We are working men and women,not lawyers or docters.We are determined to act profesionally,with integrity.We were attempting to stress we are determined to avoid the divisions of last year.

3.The Committee had to set the original agenda as we had no members.We are all regular fans mixing with the West Ham family every week so we have our fingers on the pulse .We will of course react to our members wishes and have already taken suggestions on board.

Hope this helps.
NBB.

Hi NBB,

It does indeed help thanks a lot, I hope that my original post didn’t come across as overly negative. It was more built upon despair from previous experience not by any means an attack on those willing to put themselves forward.

May I ask are there plans for a more formal process for membership or support in the upcoming weeks ahead?
OllyWHU6

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion